XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top refinish. Anybody done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Convertible top refinish. Anybody done?

So now that my car is repainted, the top looks a little faded. I've looked up dyes and such but the only one I can find that really takes it back to a rich black is from UK and won't ship to USA.
There are tons of cleaners and conditioners but I want to re dye it deep black. Any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
So now that my car is repainted, the top looks a little faded. I've looked up dyes and such but the only one I can find that really takes it back to a rich black is from UK and won't ship to USA.
There are tons of cleaners and conditioners but I want to re dye it deep black. Any suggestions?
I am somewhat surprised you feel that way....I was looking at some of the pictures of your car and thought about asking you what you used on the top....it looks gorgeous on the pictures!

I looked into this a while back as my other convertible does have a very faded top....didn't find a good solution as the ones that really color it are more like paint and I didn't like the finish they left - however, I was judging from pictures as I didn't have a real example to see....perhaps you should ask this question in the detailing forum?

Cheers

Old 11-10-2013, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8
I am somewhat surprised you feel that way....I was looking at some of the pictures of your car and thought about asking you what you used on the top....it looks gorgeous on the pictures!

I looked into this a while back as my other convertible does have a very faded top....didn't find a good solution as the ones that really color it are more like paint and I didn't like the finish they left - however, I was judging from pictures as I didn't have a real example to see....perhaps you should ask this question in the detailing forum?

Cheers
It photographs better than it looks!! And if you watch the youtube vid on re dying a cloth top, you can see the difference. But the British company can't ship to USA.
I would post on detailing forum but I never get any help there, or very rarely. I think more members stick to their specific page.
A friend said he used black liquid shoe polish. Hmm, not so sure.

The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Just found a place in Arkansas that sells the renovo top supplies!! Ordering today!
Has anyone used this yet?

Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Just found a place in Arkansas that sells the renovo top supplies!! Ordering today!
Has anyone used this yet?
Phil. Ive used it for the last 4 years. Its an excellent set of products. Be sure to buy the cleaner and the ultra proofer as well.

Arland Green (06-24-2014)
Old 11-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Raggtop , good stuff

100% satisfied with Raggtop. Take a few minutes and watch Gus's excellent video term paper on preparing and application of the materiel.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I used Renovo to dye mine, it did a very good job. MUST MUST MUST clean it well with their cleaner, the dye, and finally use the conditioner sealer AFTER. Do not try just cleaner and conditioner/sealer thinking it might be good enough, as the conditioner/sealer is very difficult to remove, which must be done for the dye to soak in. As well, be careful when applying, as splatter onto the paint is not good. You must cover the car well to avoid splatter. Lastly, when applying the stain on the top near the windshield header, the stain will tend to run toward the front corner and drip/drain don the window, and down through the rubber window and door seal to underneath the car. To avoid this, I opened the doors and placed a bath towel over the front corner of the windshield and closed the door only partially.

The following 2 users liked this post by SteveJacks:
Arland Green (06-23-2014), philhef (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I used Renovo to dye mine, it did a very good job. MUST MUST MUST clean it well with their cleaner, the dye, and finally use the conditioner sealer AFTER. Do not try just cleaner and conditioner/sealer thinking it might be good enough, as the conditioner/sealer is very difficult to remove, which must be done for the dye to soak in. As well, be careful when applying, as splatter onto the paint is not good. You must cover the car well to avoid splatter. Lastly, when applying the stain on the top near the windshield header, the stain will tend to run toward the front corner and drip/drain don the window, and down through the rubber window and door seal to underneath the car. To avoid this, I opened the doors and placed a bath towel over the front corner of the windshield and closed the door only partially.
The dye is defiantly what I'm looking to do. I'm ordering the whole kit, all three steps. I want the top as black as possible.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

ive even done a brown top on a jag, works great!!!!

The trick is to use their cleaner with VERY HOT WATER.

The hot water will not only clean deeply, it will expel the oils and slime
from the inner lining allowing EXCELLENT adhesion of the color !
A trick is to allow the top to dry . If its wet,the results will not be the best and not last long.Go slow,allow several color coating to dry several days before any other coats.

I'm holding up 3 years strong now, still looks new!

Last edited by aode06; 11-12-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

I'm pretty aure toning has ever been done to my top before. The previous owner never didn any real matainence to the car so I really doubt she ever had top conditioned. I've cleaned it once with cleaner and a nylon brush and it looked much better so I'm sure the dyes should have no issue soaking in. Of course now it's bitter cold!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Its cold, so Ill remind you,

1.Change your oil and filter and check coolant and power steering levels.
2.Start your car every week and let it warm up to preserve battery.
3.Check your tire pressure.
4.Rub Ivory Soap bar on your serpentine belt to preserve life.
5.Lubricate your door and trunk seals with a light coat of vaseline.
6.Operate your convertible top once a week to prevent issues.
7.Drive the car once every two weeks.

These car don't like to be stored lol.

It was cold when I did mine, like 54 degrees. Didn't matter the dye still worked great.

Last edited by aode06; 11-14-2013 at 06:23 AM.
sklimii (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Easier solution to the cold, move out to Los Angeles, it was 95 degrees in the San Fernando Valley, yesterday, with more warm weather to come. Going racing next weekend, hope it cools down.