XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top tension cable

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible top tension cable

hi all. When i lowered my top for the first time this year, i noticed the convertible top tension cable was not attached to the frame at drivers side rear. The cable does not appear broken , it has a ball on the end. I did find what looks like a broken cast roll pin. The top goes up and down fine. Can anyone tell me what the tension cable does and how to repair or replace it.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It might be the interior headliner tension cable. Is one side of your headliner looser than the other?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks white xkr. Never noticed but i will check this aft. And let you know.

lifts

Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tension cables keep the top tight against the weatherstriping to reduce wind noise and air infiltration. one broke on my 93 Cadillac Allante and going down the highway at 70mph you couldnt hear the radio. Don't know if the same would be true on the Jag though as mine both appear to be fine.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,208 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I do not have info on this but I am still looking. Do you have a body shop in your area that might give you an idea how and where it connects?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I do not have info on this but I am still looking. Do you have a body shop in your area that might give you an idea how and where it connects?
Originally Posted by macsr
The tension cables keep the top tight against the weatherstriping to reduce wind noise and air infiltration. one broke on my 93 Cadillac Allante and going down the highway at 70mph you couldnt hear the radio. Don't know if the same would be true on the Jag though as mine both appear to be fine.
The top is not secured with cables...seal tension is provided by the big 'claw' that latches the top.

The headliner is, however tensioned with multiple cables. Lightwight rope is used at each end as well as three rows in between verticallly across the top. Jacketed steel cable tensions the headliner at the rear window. From your description, it sounds like the rear window steel cable fastener on one side is broken. It might be easiest to see what is going on by peering behind the fabric on other side that is still intact. The stringing is also described (albeit not that clearly) in JTIS under Body and Paint, Convertible top.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM
IPG
Default XK8 convertible top liner tension cable under rear window

I think i know why one end of your liner tension cable was loose - because i took mine off to try and find where a water leak was coming from - and now I can't get it back on, on both sides, for the life of me! That cable must have been under some tension! I've tried fastening both ends (which it will do, just) followed by the middle, but the cable will not stretch no matter how much force is applied to allow you to do all the middle nuts up. I've also tried starting in the middle and working out towards each side, again to no avail. My last hope is that the body will shrink as the weather gets colder, allowing me to do up all the nuts that hold it on!

Has anyone else had any experience with this?!!

Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IPG
I think i know why one end of your liner tension cable was loose - because i took mine off to try and find where a water leak was coming from - and now I can't get it back on, on both sides, for the life of me! That cable must have been under some tension! I've tried fastening both ends (which it will do, just) followed by the middle, but the cable will not stretch no matter how much force is applied to allow you to do all the middle nuts up. I've also tried starting in the middle and working out towards each side, again to no avail. My last hope is that the body will shrink as the weather gets colder, allowing me to do up all the nuts that hold it on!

Has anyone else had any experience with this?!!
My memory is starting to fade on this, but I believe if you stop the roof a few inches before it hits the latch, the tension will be relieved sufficiently on the cables so you can fasten them down.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

When the rams are fully extended the cable is taught resulting in the roof mechanism locking together. Pulling the cable will not stretch it. Once the roof is opened and the rams are unlocked you should have slack to relatch the cable.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
IPG

Hi guys,

many thanks for the replies.

I think there may be a bit of confusion around which tension cables I (and the initial poster) refer to - it's the cable (more of a steel rod, really, than a cable) that runs horizontally across at the base of the hood and liner, underneath the rear window. The cable/rod is attached to a silver (aluminium?) strip that I presume clamps the actual hood material to the car body (BIW) through which gold coloured bolts poke and gold coloured nuts are supposed to attach. I don't think they're visible until the carpet lining the convertible top stowage compartment is removed (but it's hard to remember, it's been out that long!).

Cheers

Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Is it possible to get a photo of just a portion of it to be sure we are on the same page?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
IPG

Yep, will do - hopefully by this time tomorrow. Cheers.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:32 PM
IPG

Hopefully pic attached..

Attached Thumbnails Convertible top tension cable-hood-lining-tensioners.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:51 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I will look at my car in the morning. I know the cable (Yes the cable that pull the roof joints together) goes from front to back but never had reason to see how it is connected. My assumption is that when the roof is open the linkage of the roof allows the cable to relax allowing the roof to move freely. When the roof is up and closed it is taught holding all the joints taught. Sorry I did not see this earlier.

Last edited by Gus; 10-08-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM
IPG

Hi Gus,

It's not the cable that runs front to back that's causing me the arm-ache - it's the (much thicker and stronger) cable that runs side to side across the back of the car underneath the rear window. It just will not stretch! I have no idea how they got it on, it's that far out. I'm considering taking it out, and re-positioning the 'kink' in it that provides the tension.

IPG

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I looked and the cable that I think you are talking about connects to the cable that goes along the roof to the front. I will look again and identify the cable section you are talking about.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I believe that is the curved metal rod that fastens the bottom of the headliner to the frame. It is meant to be installed as one of the first steps when putting in a new headliner, so it is difficult to do with the headliner in place.

I still think that if you just begin to lower the top, and stop it 3-6 inches from the header you will create enough slack to fasten it back down and still have enough room to get yourself under it. You may need to prop the top open with something soft (like a pile of rags) so it stays in this slightly open position on its own, because it likely will have a tendency to want to drop down to the header.