XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant shot out from underneath the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolant shot out from underneath the hood

So, I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8. I've had it for three years now, but its been in storage because I didn't want to take it down to Texas where I was stationed in the Army. Anyway my point is I was driving it on the highway and stupidly I pushed it up to around 95 mph and coolant started shooting from the sides of the hood all over the front and sides of the car. I was close to home so I just parked it in the garage and it's been sitting for about a month. I'm not sure what the issue is, I know almost nothing technical about cars. I've read up on other posts regarding coolant leaks but I haven't come across any posts with any similar issues. I'm just hoping to get a little insight on what I can do about this. I've gotten an oil change once per year since I've had it, no more considering how little I was driving it, but I haven't taken it anywhere to have it properly serviced (I think this is probably why this happened). This is the first nice car I've ever owned, and I know I've been irresponsible and lazy, I just hope this doesn't end up being crazy expensive. I'm assuming I'm gonna get **** from car people, but I really need help.

Old 08-23-2021, 04:32 PM
Received 4,193 Likes on 3,654 Posts

Welcome to the forum - as this is your first post - take a moment to stop by the new member section and post an intro - in return, you'll receive a warm welcome and useful tips to navigate the forum. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...-intro-must-5/

As for the coolant leak - recommend a visual to see if there are any ruptured hoses. If nothing visible, Advance Auto or AutoZone loan pressure test kits - get one, fill back up with coolant and pressure test the system - it will tell you where the leak is, but just the simple fact it is a 1997 and driven very little over the past 3 years - hoses and seals tend to dry rot - so let us know what the pressure test yields.

Go to https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#...anada~2FUSA/45 for parts break down

Last edited by sklimii; 08-23-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

+1 with sklimii,
Friend we could list the numerous places that have tended to leak, but it'd be a lot more productive for you to do that visual.

I'm sure you know you'll need to fill up the coolant level for the tests. Yes you can use plain water as long as you know you'll have to ensure the hot / cold protection levels will need to be monitored after you fix the leak and are putting her back on the road.

Lots of leaks won't show until she's hot and up to temperature.

Looking forward to hearing your findings.

John

The following users liked this post:
jjohnson (09-08-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Hope you washed the bodywork well as the antifreeze is corrosive to paint.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pistnbroke:
dfbender (08-24-2021), jjohnson (09-08-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Note: If you do try to pressure test the system yourself you'll need a pressure tester adapter. Your local auto parts store isn't likely to have one that the rent or loan that will fit your car. The parts store can order one that you can buy, you can find one on-line and buy it, or ... you can buy the one I have listed in the classifieds.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/market/250165

jjohnson (09-08-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,821 Posts

The pressure-test kit I borrowed from our local Advance Auto Parts store came with the appropriate adapter in the case. It probably contained six or eight different sizes and shapes of adapters. The one that looked most like an ice cream cone was the one that worked for me. That was back in October 2014....

jjohnson (09-08-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 725 Likes on 496 Posts

Why dont you just top it up and run it up to temperature and see where it pisses out ...EPLS

jjohnson (09-08-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by jjohnson
So, I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8. I've had it for three years now, but its been in storage because I didn't want to take it down to Texas where I was stationed in the Army. Anyway my point is I was driving it on the highway and stupidly I pushed it up to around 95 mph and coolant started shooting from the sides of the hood all over the front and sides of the car. I was close to home so I just parked it in the garage and it's been sitting for about a month. I'm not sure what the issue is, I know almost nothing technical about cars. I've read up on other posts regarding coolant leaks but I haven't come across any posts with any similar issues. I'm just hoping to get a little insight on what I can do about this. I've gotten an oil change once per year since I've had it, no more considering how little I was driving it, but I haven't taken it anywhere to have it properly serviced (I think this is probably why this happened). This is the first nice car I've ever owned, and I know I've been irresponsible and lazy, I just hope this doesn't end up being crazy expensive. I'm assuming I'm gonna get **** from car people, but I really need help.

i own a 1997 xk8 with 61K and have replaced every hose and "plastic" cooling system part over the past 6 years. It is a complcated system with numerous hoses (at least 10, yes 10) in places very hard to reach. Given your skill level I would find a good independant garage that has worked on these cars. Be prepared for $$ shock. For me its a hobby car to indulge my mechanical fancies, not a dependable mode of transportation.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by jjohnson

Hey everyone thanks for the advice. I took a look inside and it looks pretty obvious where the leak came from. I couldnt get the hose clamp back around the hose and the part its supposed to connect to, but I'm sure I can get it on if i use some hand tools. Do i still need to pressure test once I get it back on?? Today I'm gonna try what Pistnbroke said and just top off the coolant and see if it still leaks.

Attached Thumbnails Coolant shot out from underneath the hood-img_1325.jpg  
Old 09-08-2021, 07:48 AM

thanks for the info, luckily I washed and waxed the car the morning that this happened. I didn't know it was corrosive so I haven't clean it since, but there was no damage and the coolant came off easily when I wiped it with a rag. I'll be washing and waxing it today after work.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Hope you washed the bodywork well as the antifreeze is corrosive to paint.
Defaultthanks for the info, luckily I washed and waxed the car the morning that this happened. I didn't know it was corrosive so I haven't clean it since, but there was no damage and the coolant came off easily when I wiped it with a rag. I'll be washing and waxing it today after work.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jacktoth
i own a 1997 xk8 with 61K and have replaced every hose and "plastic" cooling system part over the past 6 years. It is a complcated system with numerous hoses (at least 10, yes 10) in places very hard to reach. Given your skill level I would find a good independant garage that has worked on these cars. Be prepared for $$ shock. For me its a hobby car to indulge my mechanical fancies, not a dependable mode of transportation.
Thanks for the response, I posted some pictures of the hose that came loose, anything like that ever happen to you?

Old 09-08-2021, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

If the hose popped off a plastic fitting, don't expect it to stay in place. The plastic degrades over the years, so you should replace the thermostat tower, preferably with aluminum, and the outlet pipe.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I'd say take a hard look at the inside of that hose as well as the thermostat tower. That white residue suggests one of those cheap leak stopper products (or even mixed incompatible coolant). You might want to take advantage of this repair to perform a more comprehensive cleaning of the entire cooling system, even at the risk of re-discovering an existing leak.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,294 Likes on 2,821 Posts

^^ I concur. That white residue could indeed indicate a problem. You do not want a mixed bag of coolant products circulating through your cooling system. If it gels up, it could wind up killing your engine at some point....

Old 11-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XKR List of Cooling Hoses to Replace?

I have a small leak that I have been putting up with for awhile. I did the pressure test several months ago, but was unable to locate the source. Orange cooling fluid at first was showing around the crank pulley and more recently it is dripping out under the bell housing area.

With cold weather coming on, I'm thinking of putting it in the garage and pulling off the supercharger and top parts to replace whatever hoses lie underneath and behind.

Does anyone have a list of part numbers and/or photos/videos/best sources to get the replacement hoses?

As a preventative measure I want to do all the hard ones to get, the top easy to change ones I can do if and when they fail.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2022, 08:33 AM
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Does anyone have a list of all the cooling hoses so I can pre order them and not have to wait after I remove the old ones and have to wait for them to come in while the car is inoperable/ I have a 1998 XK8. Thanks

Old 06-03-2022, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Piper goto SNG Barrett. Download parts catalog. This is 1 of 3 pages with cooling hoses.

John

Attached Thumbnails Coolant shot out from underneath the hood-screenshot_20220603-111157_adobe-acrobat.jpg  
Old 06-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,296 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by piper 888
Does anyone have a list of all the cooling hoses so I can pre order them and not have to wait after I remove the old ones and have to wait for them to come in while the car is inoperable/ I have a 1998 XK8. Thanks
Here you go:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post2466950

Old 06-04-2022, 06:42 AM
Default And Don't ignore.......

Ditto on the SNG Barrett Catalogue as guide; its what I used to replace all of my '97 xk8 hoses, including the real nasty one under the intake manifold and those connected to the heater valve, etc.