Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dim Instrument Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:47 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dim Instrument Lighting

This is my second of probably many appeals for advice following my recent purchase of a1998 xk8 coupe.

While daytime driving, the speedometer, tachometer and fuel/temperature gauges are hard to read as they are very dim inside their recessed housings particularly when driving into the sun. At night, they are all well illuminated, so we know the lights themselves operate. During the day, with the headlights off, are these gauges normally more brightly lit?

This car was imported from the USA into Canada by the previous owner and I suspect this may be the source of the problem. As many may be aware, one of the requirements of bringing a US vehicle into Canada is to modify the lighting to provide "Daytime Running Lights", so even with the headlight switch off the headlights illuminate. I have seen in some other car models this modification also leads to dimming of the instrument and radio lights from there daytime settings. Is this also the case in the Jaguar? If so, does anyone know of a work around?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Andy

Old 04-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Andy, Some of us, myself included, set up virtual Daytime running lights by "fooling" the auto on headlight feature. Look for a piece of tape or something over the light sensor on back of rear view mirror which makes the circuit think it is dark. The only drawback with this workaround is that it turns on the dimmer driven dashboard lights.

I honestly don't remember if the dash lights are dimmer with the headlights on then than are with headlights off, but I think they are dimmer.

This is a shot in the dark, figured it may help. Of course this assumes the headlight switch is in Auto on, not Off in your case.

Friendly check - you do know of the dimmer switch next to the steering wheel tilt switch right?

OTOH, there are times with the sun behind me and roof open that I have no chance of reading the guages just because of the way the sun hits the dash.

John

Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM
agd

Hi John:

Thanks for your response.

My car has been modified to have lights come on regardless of the position of the switch, as required to import to Canada.

Can someone driving an un-modified US car confirm that the instrument lights are in fact brighter with the headlight switch off?

How about an original Canadian car? Is the DRL logic set-up so the instrument lights are brighter with the switch off?

I know that certain cars when modified from US spec to enable DRL dim the instrument lights also, but the same models built to Canadian spec keep the bright setting while running DRL.

Finally, I see on other threads that some later models are switched between normal and DRL by computer programming, but other models need extra modules. Has anyone with a 1998 vintage car had the change done and if so, what is required with our cars.

Andy

Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Andy,

to answer your question the instrument panel is brightly lit then dims slightly when the headlights are turned on. I had the same problem as you, the illumination seemed rather dim and I solved the problem by changing the instrument panel illumination bulbs.

The glass on the bulbs had turned a silver colour due to the filament evaporating over the years which blocked a lot of the light output. New bulbs fixed the issue.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 AM
agd

Appreciate the info, Andy. I am wondering if, since the bulbs are dimmed during the day by the DRL mod, would putting in brighter than standard bulbs (5W vs. 3W) help? Then just turn them down at night running the rheostat.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Have you adjusted the knob on the left side of the steering wheel?

-----------------------------------------------------
Instrument Illumination and Dimmer Switch
With the ignition switch in position ‘II’, the instruments,
message centre, climate control and sound system displays will
be illuminated. When the exterior lighting is switched ON, the
instruments and message centre and roof console amber light
may be dimmed by means of the dimmer switch. The climate
control panel and radio will be illuminated at a low level. If the
dimmer switch is set to the ‘override’ position, the instruments,
message centre, climate control and audio systems displays, will
be illuminated at maximum brightness. Warning light brightness
is not affected by the dimmer switch.

To operate:
Rotate the knob to adjust the illumination to the
required level. To select ‘override’, turn the knob fully
anti-clockwise
---------------------------------------------------------------

Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi Andy,

As far as I'm aware, the DLR mod does not effect the panel illumination. I would not go down the road of fitting higher wattage bulbs as the plastic holders of the old ones had gone brown with heat build up. The bulbs and holders are separate, so a replaceable wedge bulb could be used. (See pic of new one).

Led bulbs might be an option as long as they will fit and are they dimmable?

Last edited by DandyAndy; 04-20-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 PM
agd

Originally Posted by stingray71
Have you adjusted the knob on the left side of the steering wheel?

-----------------------------------------------------
Instrument Illumination and Dimmer Switch
With the ignition switch in position ‘II’, the instruments,
message centre, climate control and sound system displays will
be illuminated. When the exterior lighting is switched ON, the
instruments and message centre and roof console amber light
may be dimmed by means of the dimmer switch. The climate
control panel and radio will be illuminated at a low level. If the
dimmer switch is set to the ‘override’ position, the instruments,
message centre, climate control and audio systems displays, will
be illuminated at maximum brightness. Warning light brightness
is not affected by the dimmer switch.

To operate:
Rotate the knob to adjust the illumination to the
required level. To select ‘override’, turn the knob fully
anti-clockwise
---------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I have tried the adjusting knob and even the brightest setting is dim. But thanks for the explanation. That is more detailed than the information in my Drivers Handbook.

On your car, when you have the instrument rheostat in the override position, does the brightness change at all when going from headlamps off to headlamps on?

Thanks

Andy

Old 04-20-2016, 01:07 PM
agd

Originally Posted by DandyAndy
Hi Andy,

As far as I'm aware, the DLR mod does not effect the panel illumination. I would not go down the road of fitting higher wattage bulbs as the plastic holders of the old ones had gone brown with heat build up. The bulbs and holders are separate, so a replaceable wedge bulb could be used. (See pic of new one).

Led bulbs might be an option as long as they will fit and are they dimmable?
If is the case that the DRL does not change the panel illumination, it is likely that a change of instrument bulbs may solve the problem. Higher wattage bulbs could, as you say, cause other problems.

Andy

Old 02-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello,

What is involved in changing the instrument bulbs? The left side of my speedo is not lighting and the right side of the tach is also dim. I am guessing one bulb is out. Will other follow on a 16 year old vehicle? Best to wait to see if other bulbs go?

Old 02-08-2017, 03:36 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Apcar
Hello,

What is involved in changing the instrument bulbs? The left side of my speedo is not lighting and the right side of the tach is also dim. I am guessing one bulb is out. Will other follow on a 16 year old vehicle? Best to wait to see if other bulbs go?
AS you are going to have to remove the instrument cluster to get to the failed bulbs I'd strongly advise you change them all at the same time. Just removing the unit can cause the old working bulbs to fail.
Although not difficult it's a bit of a PITA getting the cluster out - pay particular attention to re-seating the 2 multipoint connectors ensuring the bails are fully locked as it's all too easy to have a part-connection with all sorts of electrical issues afterwards. Check everything works as it should before putting the screws back and re-fitting the dash.
While your about it it's also worth checking all the centre console/instrument pack/radio buttons illuminate as you could replace these as well.

You only want to be doing this once. Replacement bulbs are not cheap but best no to cut corners.

Steve

Old 02-08-2017, 04:06 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

That instrument dimmer switch is a tricky little ba###rd. My lights used to dim all the time until somebody here told me to turn it past the bright setting to the override position.
This took more force than I expected, but then a definite "click" and I had bright lights all the time regardless of main lights switch position.

DRL can be programmed with an IDS/WDS. Three options, off, scandinavian or canadian. You will find it under "dealer options".

Last edited by oyster; 02-08-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Len Apcar
What is involved in changing the instrument bulbs? .......
+1 to replacing them all.

1. remove the bolster
Dim Instrument Lighting-01-bolster-removed.jpg

2. remove the Instrument Panel veneer section
Dim Instrument Lighting-02-veneer-removed.jpg

3. disconnect the 2 harness plugs, four fixing screws and remove the Instrument Panel
Dim Instrument Lighting-04-instrument-panel-removed.jpg

The bulb holders are a quarter turn to remove from the rear of the IP.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 02-08-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:51 PM
agd

Len:

I ended up changing all the bulbs in the instrument panel and all the centre gauge bulbs while I was at it. Graham has explained the process better than I could.

I used modestly higher wattage bulbs, 4 instead of 3.3 or maybe 5 instead of 4, I do not remember and I am away from home, but only an incremental increase. There was one bulb in the instrument cluster and one in the centre gauges that previously were not working, so things are better now, but still a bit dim when driving into the sun.

Good luck with your repair!

Andy

Old 12-02-2018, 05:41 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 379 Likes on 285 Posts

sorry its gone on the wrong section

Last edited by rgp; 12-02-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:28 PM
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DandyAndy
Hi Andy,

to answer your question the instrument panel is brightly lit then dims slightly when the headlights are turned on. I had the same problem as you, the illumination seemed rather dim and I solved the problem by changing the instrument panel illumination bulbs.

The glass on the bulbs had turned a silver colour due to the filament evaporating over the years which blocked a lot of the light output. New bulbs fixed the issue.
My instrument lights speedometer for 1 have no illumination during the day. Just dark. They are fine at night with headlamps on. What couid be happening?