XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:56 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter?

Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter? I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this question. One comment said that it was an option (?) Did it only become a feature on later model XK's? Thanks, Tom :-)

Old 03-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

As far as I know the NAS market did not use Pollen Filters for XK ( X100 ). 8 years at dealer in Houston never saw one with a Pollen filter. 5 years at dealer in Auckland, still haven't seen an XK ( X100 ) with a pollen filter. Not exactly sure which markets use it to be honest.

Starting in 2007 XK ( X150 ) Pollen filter fitted as standard for NAS market.

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBzXJ40
As far as I know the NAS market did not use Pollen Filters for XK ( X100 ). 8 years at dealer in Houston never saw one with a Pollen filter. 5 years at dealer in Auckland, still haven't seen an XK ( X100 ) with a pollen filter. Not exactly sure which markets use it to be honest.

Starting in 2007 XK ( X150 ) Pollen filter fitted as standard for NAS market.
Thanks for clarifying the issue. I heard someone say that they were able to retrofit something, but that is not for me even if it is available. Thanks again. Tom :-)

Old 03-12-2018, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Hi Tom, looks like you have a convertible anyway. There was once long discussions about whether jaguar would even bother to put one in an open cockpit car. Either way it might just come down to the fact that it'd be almost worthless in a convertible.

If my eyes didn't see you have a coupe, excuse me, just trying to help mate.

John

ThomasL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasL
Thanks for clarifying the issue. I heard someone say that they were able to retrofit something, but that is not for me even if it is available. Thanks again. Tom :-)

No worries - if you're worried about bacteria in the A/C system, there are products you can use to clean out the ducts and such. Pretty sure BG has a product for this as I'm sure there are others around.

ThomasL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by Johnken
Hi Tom, looks like you have a convertible anyway. There was once long discussions about whether jaguar would even bother to put one in an open cockpit car. Either way it might just come down to the fact that it'd be almost worthless in a convertible.

If my eyes didn't see you have a coupe, excuse me, just trying to help mate.

John
No, it IS a convertible. However, much of the time the top is up and secondly, whatever they would design for such cars, they would use in both the coupe and the convertible. Also, in a sense, if the top were down, some would not use the A/C, only when it is up. Well, anyway, something like that. ;-)

Johnken (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Question ThomasL the Cabin Filter Man!

Originally Posted by ThomasL
Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter? I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this question. One comment said that it was an option (?) Did it only become a feature on later model XK's? Thanks, Tom :-)
ThomasL, The answer is NO!!!

But you can still buy the Parts and probably still get the Filters.....If you want to take out almost everything in the area under the Windshield Wipers and then reinstall it!!!!! It was a bad design and Jaguar dumped it..........after they had made a bunch of them.....Very few XK's came with them.....

Billy Clyde in Houston

ThomasL (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

The air filter was available as an option, and most dealers declined to take it. The reason is that it takes a mechanic to reach it (the cowl area has to be removed, including the arms and wiper motor assembly). It is likely an after-thought. The parts to retrofit are available (a plastic template mostly) from Jaguar, and, guess what, the filter are typically available at a discount! I guess the fact that this option was hardly ever requested failed to be passed on to the filter manufacturers and they are sitting on a lot of inventory. As several other forum members, I have the parts on hand, but have not managed to pull the trigger and install them. Something about the insanity of spending 3 extra hours labor every year to replace the stupid filter, and the comfort of pollen-free ventilation in the spring. Oh well...

Details: retro-fitting-cabin-pollen-filter

Last edited by fmertz; 03-12-2018 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Added URL
The following 3 users liked this post by fmertz:
bcprice36 (04-01-2018), MediaBobNY (04-03-2018), ThomasL (03-13-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Like fmertz I too have the filter but have never bothered to fit it.

The best time is when/if you have to replace a windscreen

part no is MJD6862AA...which I find is always good to post on threads like this for completeness

The following 2 users liked this post by MarkyUK:
Johnken (04-01-2018), ThomasL (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Apart from the difficulty in replacing the filter, the location was a bad choice. The few members who report having one fitted say it fills with rain water. The recommendation was to remove the filter and not replace it.

Graham

bcprice36 (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Question Help me I'm going Crazy-er!

Originally Posted by GGG
Apart from the difficulty in replacing the filter, the location was a bad choice. The few members who report having one fitted say it fills with rain water. The recommendation was to remove the filter and not replace it.

Graham
Graham & Fmertz,

Question about location, I know where it is, I just want to know more about it...and if it is sealed or what did they do to keep wind form flowing through the system where the Filter is suppose to be?.....

Reason is I have an Air-leak (Wind Sound) as I am driving along and it sounds like I have the Right Hand Window rolled down about an inch.....Can't fine or feel any air blowing over in the Foot well but I just can't find the sound. I know its somewhere under the Dash/Firewall but then again it sounds like it is blowing up around the defroster vents! Do you Guys think it might be related to this Filter System in some way?
Sounds like there is a big Hole somewhere under the Dash.....Wouldn't be so bad but it effects the sound of the CD Player***! What did they stop up the hole with or how? And how, other than going in through Cowling, do I get to it.....Would I have to remove the heater-A/C blower?????? Or is it something simple like a vent being shuck or something you might have heard of on the Forum?

I'm just full of questions Tonight!

Billy Clyde

Old 04-02-2018, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

More likely there is something wrong with the air box and the various flaps and the 2 blowers. Check the 2003 workshop manual of jagrepair for the A/C system diagnostic mode. You might have some codes already.

Also, do some manual testing. Is it better or worse with the Recirc on or off? What about the air flow buttons (face, footwell, etc.). The system has 2 blowers (eBay has great picture for better visualizing the setup). Each blower is on a separate fuse, so each one can be activated/tested individually. You can also easily pop the center dash veneer and the remove the center vent to get some visibility into the core with a mechanics mirror and a flashlight.

I know my own car has a issue with this setup. The passenger blower is acting like the air flow is blocked. Need to get to it at some point...

Old 04-03-2018, 05:34 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by bcprice36
..... I just want to know more about it...and if it is sealed or what did they do to keep wind form flowing through the system where the Filter is suppose to be?.....

Reason is I have an Air-leak (Wind Sound) as I am driving along .....
Billy,

The Pollen Filter housing is a plastic box with a perforated lid:

Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter?-pollen.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

The perforations in the filter housing lid let the air through ...... and the thing the designers forgot about - water.

The kit has a housing to fit over the air intake. Without the filter, the intake still has to be open to let air in.

I suspect the 'wind sound' you can hear is from one of the heater flaps not closing properly. I recall these have foam on them which dries out and breaks up. A slight gap could 'whistling'.

Graham

ThomasL (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Billy,

The Pollen Filter housing is a plastic box with a perforated lid:

Attachment 212485

The perforations in the filter housing lid let the air through ...... and the thing the designers forgot about - water.

The kit has a housing to fit over the air intake. Without the filter, the intake still has to be open to let air in.

I suspect the 'wind sound' you can hear is from one of the heater flaps not closing properly. I recall these have foam on them which dries out and breaks up. A slight gap could 'whistling'.

Graham
Just curious Graham, Where would I find a copy of the Heater design and how does one to find out which buttons to push to test or check all these Flaps? I remember something about push these (2) buttons at the same time to reset or check something....But I can't remember where it was....

I found a bunch of Dried Foam in the for Right vent that had blown up to the Vent...

Billy Clyde

Last edited by GGG; 04-04-2018 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Add end QUOTE code
ThomasL (04-03-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 06:02 AM
GGG

Billy,

Here's a schematic of the complete AC System. This discussion is concerned with the Plenum Chamber (item 5) and the Heater/Cooler Unit (item 3):

Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter?-ac_1.jpg

The Pollen Filter attaches to the Plenum Chamber.

I think your noise issue could be the foam breaking up on the Air Outlet (item 5):

Does the '05 XK8 have a Cabin Air filter?-ac_3.jpg

This will leave a gap in places around the perimiter.

It could also be a failed Servo Motor (items 2 and 3) which would leave the relevant flap stuck partially open.

Graham

Old 04-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member