XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electronic plug location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 11:55 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default electronic plug location

Is there a manual for the 03 XKR that shows the location of the electronic plugs? I can not locate EM1-19. Trying to fix a low coolant error lite problem.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 PM
GGG
Received 16,789 Likes on 12,163 Posts

The OG (Orange/Green) feed from the Instrument Pack is grounded via the BK (Black) to display the warning.

electronic plug location-coolant.jpg

For circuit test purposes with the ignition ON, disconnecting the brown harness plug from the coolant sensor in the Expansion Tank should have the low coolant warning OFF. Connecting the OG to BK terminals in this harness plug should have the warning ON. If it works like this, the circuit is OK and the fault is in the sensor.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
toaster (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Try the electrical guide / workshop manual.

Old 06-20-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The OG (Orange/Green) feed from the Instrument Pack is grounded via the BK (Black) to display the warning.

Attachment 216517

For circuit test purposes with the ignition ON, disconnecting the brown harness plug from the coolant sensor in the Expansion Tank should have the low coolant warning OFF. Connecting the OG to BK terminals in this harness plug should have the warning ON. If it works like this, the circuit is OK and the fault is in the sensor.

Graham
Hi Graham

I replaced the sensor and have the same symptom. While checking, I shorted the sensor plug leads together with the ignition switch on, but this did not turn the lite off. Either I have a bad connection on the instrument module, a broken lead from the module to the sensor or a bad logic ground on the other side of the sensor. According to the schematic the logic ground is controlled by the ignition switch being in the on position. I am trying to find a logic ground I can tap into and wire it to the switch to see if this fixes the problem. If it doesn't then I have a bad connection or broken wire going to the module. Thanks for your input these wiring problems are a pain in the you know what!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm an amateur in electrikery but could you just connect the "logic ground" side of the circuit to a "proper" ground like the battery negative terminal. If the light stays on, that would tend to suggest that it's the "instrument" side of the circuit that is faulty. If it goes off, then it's the connection to logic ground that doesn't work. I can't see why this could do any harm, or do any damage.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
I'm an amateur in electrikery but could you just connect the "logic ground" side of the circuit to a "proper" ground like the battery negative terminal. If the light stays on, that would tend to suggest that it's the "instrument" side of the circuit that is faulty. If it goes off, then it's the connection to logic ground that doesn't work. I can't see why this could do any harm, or do any damage.
You have to be careful with using other types of grounding. The logic ground is applied with the ignition switch turned on. I used my VOM meter and checked the logic ground pin to make sure I was getting the ground. With the ignition switch off it is open with it on ground. I shorted the pins on the sensor plug and got rid of the low coolant message. It appears the problem is with the magnetic float.

The following users liked this post:
DevonDavid (06-23-2018)