XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency flashers won't turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Emergency flashers won't turn off!

I accidentally hit the emergency flasher button and now it will not turn off. I realize that it has been several years since that button was hit, if ever, so I assume that something is stuck. I sprayed a lot of WD 40 into the sides of the switch to no effect so far.

The problem is that even with the car turned off, the flashers continue. Is there a specific fuse to the flashers that do not disable the turn signals and so forth until I can get it fixed?

OK, never mind. I went back out and perhaps the WD 40 may have taken effect. I was able to turn the flashers off. I had tried it for about fifteen or twenty minutes before my post and then when I waited another twenty minutes or so and used a tool to move the switch around a bit it finally quit blinking.

Last edited by Kevin D; 02-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Kevin,

The button sticks with a build up of 'gunge' between the white switch body (arrowed in blue) and the Console Switch Module housing.

Emergency flashers won't turn off!-hazard.jpg

The switch cover - the bit with the hazard symbol - has two slots on the top (arrowed in red) and two slots on the bottom which clip over the switch body.

When the Hazards switch stuck on my last XK8, I temporarily fixed it by sliding a credit card between the left edge of the cover and the switch body and moving the switch around.

When it stuck again, I took the switch pack out and removed the cover to clean it properly.

Graham

The following 3 users liked this post by GGG:
DavidYau (03-19-2019), Frog (02-03-2013), mkrion (09-04-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Thanks, when I went back after almost an hour (flashing the whole time, as it continues to flash even when you turn the engine off, but I had hooked up my battery charger) and I manipulated the switch a bit with a screwdriver to try to get more WD40 in there, suddenly it quit flashing.

I did not try to manipulate it any more, as I did not want to get it flashing again. When I have to go back to get my inspection sticker I will find out if it is working properly, as I don't want to test my luck again. If it gives me a problem then, your advice will come in handy.

Thanks again for being the best forum on the internet!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

It was a bit of an emergency so it wasn't all bad.

Glad you got it fixed.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine's Stuck Also

Thanks for this post, as mine was stuck while outside the grocery store waiting for my wife to return. Had to drive home with the flashers on and disconnected the battery upon my arrival. One question, how does one remove the switch pack from the instrument cluster?

Old 07-07-2013, 07:59 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by dgray79005
................ One question, how does one remove the switch pack from the instrument cluster?
The Centre Console and Audio Unit surround has to come out first:

Emergency flashers won't turn off!-05-console-radio-removed.jpg

This pic is my 2001 XK8 which is similar to yours.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (10-25-2018)
Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by dgray79005
Thanks for this post, as mine was stuck while outside the grocery store waiting for my wife to return. Had to drive home with the flashers on and disconnected the battery upon my arrival. One question, how does one remove the switch pack from the instrument cluster?
You might want to try what worked for me. I used a small, thin bladed screwdriver to open up the gaps a bit and sprayed some WD 40 in there and then pushed on and moved it around a bit. When I came back later it turned off easily and has not been a problem since.

I think that switch just sits there for years and years without ever being used and then it just needs a little lubrication. Good luck.

Last edited by Kevin D; 07-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Orthodixie (10-25-2018)
Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I suggest using electronics cleaner spray. This stuff has the solvents to clear gunge and evaporates to prevent a mess. It is also plastic tolerant. WD 40 is not meant for electronics, it is a water dispersant.

Orthodixie (10-25-2018)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Well, in my case the problem was not the electronics aspect of the switch. What it needed was lubrication. I used "WD 40" as a generic term the way you might say Q Tip. What I actually used was Liquid Wrench lubricating oil http://www.liquidwrench.com/ because I had some on hand and it has that little small straw that allows you to focus the spray.

In any event, even the actual WD 40 is a lubricant as well as a water displacement spray. My point was that you may not need to go through all of the trouble of removing the entire switch. Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by Kevin D; 07-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by GGG
Kevin,

The button sticks with a build up of 'gunge' between the white switch body (arrowed in blue) and the Console Switch Module housing.

Attachment 32071

The switch cover - the bit with the hazard symbol - has two slots on the top (arrowed in red) and two slots on the bottom which clip over the switch body.

When the Hazards switch stuck on my last XK8, I temporarily fixed it by sliding a credit card between the left edge of the cover and the switch body and moving the switch around.

When it stuck again, I took the switch pack out and removed the cover to clean it properly.

Graham
I set my flashers to ON after a flat tire incident and could not turn them off afterwards. But when I got home and read your post I tried your credit card solution and it did the trick! Thanks so much as I worried my battery would run down.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:44 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by david steward
I set my flashers to ON after a flat tire incident and could not turn them off afterwards. But when I got home and read your post I tried your credit card solution and it did the trick! Thanks so much as I worried my battery would run down.
Welcome to the forum David,

Good to see you found this relevant thread and it helped.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 10-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I think this is a common problem. It happened to me too a couple of years back. I did the credit card trick and it worked.

My solution though to stop it reoccurring was to get one of those old valve cleaning sticks, small pole of wood with a rubber suction cap on the end, Stuck it to the button. Sprayed MAF cleaner around the edges. Worked the switch in and out quite a few times. The smallest amount of lubrication behind it. (remember dust loves to stick to oil and thats what probably caused original problem) now it works fine!

Old 03-19-2019, 06:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Used this post the other day. Very embarrassing thanking a bus for letting me out in front, to have to feel like a car thief for the remainder of the journey home. Thankfully just 1 mile.
Used contact cleaner and the credit card together which released it ok. All the console buttons seemed fine except the Flashers. Sorted for now but not as good a travel feel as the other buttons.

Cheers guys.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:10 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

This exact thing just happened to me. Stuck a plastic spatula edge in there and wiggled it and it finally stopped.

I have had my car for about two months. The man I bought the car from told me he rarely drove it but just started the
engine occasionally. I am finding that things on the car that were rarely or never exercised are some of the things are giving me problems now.

Things like my sticky emergency flasher button, valet button that does nothing and airbag light and code indicating
a problem in the passenger seat. I believe no one had sat in the passenger seat for years until I did on my initial
test drive (he drove I rode initially). Of course I put the seatbelt on and then noticed an airbag light. The problem was in the seatbelt receiver. I pulled and retracted the seatbelt several time and low and behold the light went out and has not returned (lucky). Point being some things are in the use it or lose it category.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:59 PM
Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Same thing happened to me about a month ago. Someone else driving my car turned on the flashers just checking directions and they wouldn't turn off. I laughed it off telling my friend that now he got the full Jaguar experience. Love the car and the drive then something breaks LOL.

I came to the Forum and learned the credit card trick and some electrical contact cleaner took care of the sticky flasher button.

Oh well, like I said just part of owning this car.

Cheers!

Andrew