Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust deletes and upgrades.... Need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts
Default Exhaust deletes and upgrades.... Need help

I've been working on my exhaust sound and if hit an impas. I started by removing the center resonator and replacing with straight pipes and it was ok, added a little depth but still not enough. So my next stage was to loose the rear most mufflers and replace with a straight pipe with new mina oval tips. Now just too much. I don't want to have to buy borla or super expensive mufflers so any ideas on how to tone it down a little and even it out a bit?
Well an x pipe help smooth out the sound to start with? Or would a glaspac be better?
I've been suggested the magna flow 40 series to ton it a bit.
Any suggestions?

Old 03-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mufflers

The 40's are probably the most popular performance muffler out there.
I use them on my Ford and think they sound great with a full 2 1/2" pipe size,
crossover, no resonator's.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

The X-Pipe will definitely tone it down and it's not an expensive part.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Philhef, so you left the two little mufflers that follow the big central one?
I ended with with just a rear muffler delete after I went a week without any mufflers at all, which was amusing in the city but awful on the highway. Nine months later, I too find myself craving more sound.

One suggestion I'm going to try are "cherry bombs" to replace the big central mufflers. Alas, I first have to spend $450 on oil cooler front line replacements and power steering line $450 replace. Sigh

Old 03-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by weisberg
Philhef, so you left the two little mufflers that follow the big central one?
I ended with with just a rear muffler delete after I went a week without any mufflers at all, which was amusing in the city but awful on the highway. Nine months later, I too find myself craving more sound.

One suggestion I'm going to try are "cherry bombs" to replace the big central mufflers. Alas, I first have to spend $450 on oil cooler front line replacements and power steering line $450 replace. Sigh
Yeah, I have the two little mufflers and all cats. I think I'll start eith an x pipe.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Another question. Would my exhaust be a 2. 1/2 inch pipe? Trying to order a X pipe.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts
Old 03-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
Another question. Would my exhaust be a 2. 1/2 inch pipe? Trying to order a X pipe.
I have a 2.25" on my car. You should first check yours just to make sure.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:58 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
Just what he needs.........8 sound options! Looking forward to an upcoming review of all eight!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Starting with X pipe I can't even think about anything else yet!!

Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Starting with X pipe I can't even think about anything else yet!!
So let me make sure I got this. You will be putting in the X-pipe in place of the central muffler and everything else is stock, right? Interested because I keep thinking this is what I might do.

I know you will keep us informed, so I am eager to see how you like it and what it does to the sound by itself.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I learned a fair amount about X-Pipe configurations when I was developing the Mk I version of my exhaust system. The Mk I used off-the-shelf components from folks like Magnaflow, etc. I tried three or four different brand manufactured X-Pipe fixtures, most were simple "clam shell" design--two symmetrical stamped-out pieces welded or clamped together around the edges, one, I recall, was two pipes siamesed together where the outside walls of the bends had been cut off and then welded together around the cutouts.

Each style was a little different in sound and performance. The larger the effective plenum chamber area at the cross point, the less performance, but the smoother the sound.

So, don't expect them to all sound the same. If you use the exact same fixture at the exact same distance from the cat flanges, the sound between two types of cars, either N/A or S/C, should sound the same, all else (mufflers, pipe diameter, etc.) being equal.

Also, the orientation of the inlet and outlet pipes (to the X) affect the sound and performance.

Last edited by SanDiegoMac; 03-03-2014 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Someone here did a step by step replacement of various exhaust components in an effort to just get a sweet sound. He ended up deleting the the all the OEM cans and running straight pipes back to a set of Magnaflows at the rear. He said he loved that sound, and might consider adding an X-pipe later for performance.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
So let me make sure I got this. You will be putting in the X-pipe in place of the central muffler and everything else is stock, right? Interested because I keep thinking this is what I might do.

I know you will keep us informed, so I am eager to see how you like it and what it does to the sound by itself.
Actually I'm now correcting advice from the jaguar Facebook page I had already removed the center muffler/resonator and it did add some sound, probably if I could go back I would have stopped there and just added the mina gallery oval tips.
But a friend said I would love the sound if I removed the rear most mufflers and used a straight pipe with the tips. And at first I liked it but now, I realize its too loud and doesn't really fit a jaguar. S now I'm thinking I want it somewhere in the middle. It sounds just a bit diesel-ish, uneven. If the x pipe would smooth it out, I may like it. If that's not enough, then I'll add a set of mufflers in the rear.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:22 AM

Again, the X-Pipe will take the edge off the "too loud" exhaust note.