XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failsafe Engine Mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Failsafe Engine Mode

Failsafe/Limp mode: I had this prob with my xJ8. the ******* said they could not find the prob but after changing the mother board and screwing it down twice, no problems at all. Also I have heared the same from other owners. help that helps some.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My suggestion would be to have the codes read at Auto Zone or other car parts store, this is a free service, and let us know what it, or they are and we can go from there.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am getting this failsafe message before and it will flash while the car is running. It ideal higher then usual, will not accelerate untill peddle is at the floor. And then it will only goes a little faster I have tryed to clear the code with my OBD2 code reader but the message will come back. I am now getting the message "Elec. throttle control position error." What am I doing to get this and is it possible to CLEAR the falesafe engine mode ?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tryed disconecting the battary, but the message is still there. Is it my throttle body, and do I need to get a whole new one? Someone Help please.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy some electrical contact cleaner at your auto store. Carefully remove the throttle position sensor connector and spray the contact cleaner into the cable end of the connector, not the throttle position sensor end. Sometimes contact resistance gets high enough to cause trouble code P0121 and this will put the car into failsafe mode.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue. I brought my 98 XK8 to the dealer. The service manager told me it was likely the brake switch (prior to testing). He was correct. He stated this is not an uncommon problem with the XK's. I would suggest bringing this to you dealer's attention prior to any expensive "attempts" to repair. Good luck....

Old 11-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the same message popping up on my display. It normally shows up right as the engine reaches it's normal operating temp (half-way on the temp gauge). That's when the cruise control stops functioning. Other than that, I have no loss of power, or any other strange behavior.... Haven't checked the brake switch yet, but I think if that was the problem, the message would show up right away, and not wait for the engine to worm up... Right? May take it to AutoZone to have the codes read this weekend.

PS
The message just started like last week. It's been less than 5 days that I'm driving it this way. Funny thing thoug, last night I was coming back home and as soon as I got on the Hwy, I put the car in cruise, right before it reached the "operating temp" and the message never came on, and cruise worked all the way home... Needle in a hay-stack...

Last edited by mzs_biteme; 11-02-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

Originally Posted by mzs_biteme
I have the same message popping up on my display. It normally shows up right as the engine reaches it's normal operating temp (half-way on the temp gauge). That's when the cruise control stops functioning. Other than that, I have no loss of power, or any other strange behavior.... Haven't checked the brake switch yet, but I think if that was the problem, the message would show up right away, and not wait for the engine to worm up... Right? May take it to AutoZone to have the codes read this weekend.

PS
The message just started like last week. It's been less than 5 days that I'm driving it this way. Funny thing thoug, last night I was coming back home and as soon as I got on the Hwy, I put the car in cruise, right before it reached the "operating temp" and the message never came on, and cruise worked all the way home... Needle in a hay-stack...
I think you may have a completely different problem. Are you saying that you ARE getting the failsafe engine mode warning on the dash but the car is NOT going into "limp" mode where you have almost no power? Give us a little more info about what exactly is happening, what the display says, and what year car you have.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 90 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I think you may have a completely different problem. Are you saying that you ARE getting the failsafe engine mode warning on the dash but the car is NOT going into "limp" mode where you have almost no power? Give us a little more info about what exactly is happening, what the display says, and what year car you have.
99 XJ8 VDP....

Correct, no limp mode... Just the "failsafe" message, which shuts the cruise control down. Other than that, no rough idle, no limp mode, no other messages, well except for the "stability control disabled" message I've been driving on for the last 2 yrs, which could be anything from the ABS control unit to cables to $300 ABS sensors at the wheels...

Old 08-22-2022, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 XK8 and i also am getting the engine failsafe mode along with restricted performance, gearbox fault, check engine, etc. it stays in limp mode and it also drains the battery i am about to pull what's left of my hair out. any advice would be appreciated

Old 08-22-2022, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,566 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by AP Glover
I have a 2000 XK8 and i also am getting the engine failsafe mode along with restricted performance, gearbox fault, check engine, etc. it stays in limp mode and it also drains the battery i am about to pull what's left of my hair out. any advice would be appreciated
a low battery can give you the dreaded fail-safe error message. I was even getting it when starting the car on park vs. starting it in neutral.

now I normally start the car in neutral, and even though there is nothing wrong with my charging system or battery, I keep a battery tender attached to the car whenever it sits overnight or longer.

Guess what ? No more failsafe or restricted performance messages. Maybe I’m just practicing voodoo, but the cost is zero and the failsafe gremlins are gone.

Z.

Old 08-22-2022, 11:29 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

TSB for you.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (08-23-2022), MountainMan (08-23-2022), zray (08-22-2022)