XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting disillusioned with my '06 XKR Vic Ed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting disillusioned with my '06 XKR Vic Ed.

Hey everyone,

I have owned my '06 XKR Victory Edition Coupe since 2010. During this time I feel like I have had way too many problems for a "luxury" car. My friends call it the Albatross and it is really beginning to get annoying.

HEADLIGHTS
I have replaced 2 full headlight assemblies and over the past weekend it gathered a ton of water during a rain storm which blew the HID lamp. It looks like I might have to replace the entire thing again.

HEADLINER
I'm guessing it is due to the Texas heat but the headliner began separating from the ceiling a couple months ago. That needs to be re-glued or replaced.

INTERIOR DOOR TRIM
Since I purchased the vehicle(used) the driver's side inside door panel is loose(broken tab?). I have taken it to the Jaguar dealership and they tell me there is nothing they can do to fix it.

ENGINE MOUNTS
Replaced the engine mounts due to engine rattle during high rpm acceleration.

CONTROL ARMS
Replaced the control arms because of a shimmy during high speed braking.

BALL JOINTS
Replaced ball joints because of rattle going over bumps.

Couple these issues problems with 3 wrecks that were caused by idiots in the first 8 months of ownership, replacing 3 20" Perseus rims because of potholes and road debris which are almost impossible to find, the spare tire provided doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes, replacing tires every 20-30k miles, $100 oil changes, and buying a set of chrome 20" rims because I had trouble finding the Perseus rims for awhile. I am beginning to feel like I am just throwing money down a hole and the depreciation of my vehicle doesn't help anything. Also, I spoke with CarToys about the possibility of replacing the stereo head unit and they estimated it at $4-6k because it was an integrated system.

I guess I am asking should I just get rid of this thing or tough it out? Am I getting duped by Jaguar Plano and AutoScope Foreign Car Plano? Will this car ever find a floor for it's value? Will it ever become a collector's car?

I really love my car but I feel like every time I get something fixed, I'm having another expensive problem. Thanks for listening to my rant.

The following users liked this post:
phyllisita (10-03-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I do feel for you, sometimes you can just be plain unlucky.

I've had my 03 XKR convertible for 3 years now and done approx 14k miles. (I bought it at 30k miles) Some things that have needed to be replaced due to wear and tear include the following:

Rear shock bushes (£150)
Roof Hydraulic hoses (£350 all in)
two new rear tyres (£200)
wheel refurb inc two new rims (£500) (Lots of potholes and kerbs in London)

It hasn't missed a beat since I've had it and I changed the stereo myself to a Sony unit with ipod inside and bluetooth for phone. There's plenty of info online how to change and put a single DIN unit in. No need to spend £1000's

If you enjoy driving it, then continue to enjoy it. IF it bugs you that much then sell it. I know of people who've bought high end cars too and had lots of issues too. One guy spent £22k in warranty work on his RS6 that was 2 years old.

JustJaginOff (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JustJaginOff
Hey everyone,

I have owned my '06 XKR Victory Edition Coupe since 2010. During this time I feel like I have had way too many problems for a "luxury" car. My friends call it the Albatross and it is really beginning to get annoying.

HEADLIGHTS
I have replaced 2 full headlight assemblies and over the past weekend it gathered a ton of water during a rain storm which blew the HID lamp. It looks like I might have to replace the entire thing again.

HEADLINER
I'm guessing it is due to the Texas heat but the headliner began separating from the ceiling a couple months ago. That needs to be re-glued or replaced.

INTERIOR DOOR TRIM
Since I purchased the vehicle(used) the driver's side inside door panel is loose(broken tab?). I have taken it to the Jaguar dealership and they tell me there is nothing they can do to fix it.

ENGINE MOUNTS
Replaced the engine mounts due to engine rattle during high rpm acceleration.

CONTROL ARMS
Replaced the control arms because of a shimmy during high speed braking.

BALL JOINTS
Replaced ball joints because of rattle going over bumps.

Couple these issues problems with 3 wrecks that were caused by idiots in the first 8 months of ownership, replacing 3 20" Perseus rims because of potholes and road debris which are almost impossible to find, the spare tire provided doesn't fit over the Brembo brakes, replacing tires every 20-30k miles, $100 oil changes, and buying a set of chrome 20" rims because I had trouble finding the Perseus rims for awhile. I am beginning to feel like I am just throwing money down a hole and the depreciation of my vehicle doesn't help anything. Also, I spoke with CarToys about the possibility of replacing the stereo head unit and they estimated it at $4-6k because it was an integrated system.

I guess I am asking should I just get rid of this thing or tough it out? Am I getting duped by Jaguar Plano and AutoScope Foreign Car Plano? Will this car ever find a floor for it's value? Will it ever become a collector's car?

I really love my car but I feel like every time I get something fixed, I'm having another expensive problem. Thanks for listening to my rant.
But with all the things you've done how's the engine, suspension and transmission? How many miles do you have on it? Because if the mileage was low you should've invested in a warranty.

Hopefully the accidents, repairs are high quality and since all the work has been done hopefully it'll get easier for you.

Hey do you still have the 3 rims?

Last edited by Juke; 09-17-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

My wife's daily driver is her 2006 XK8 Victory Edition convertible. We bought it pre-auction in February 2012 at 36,000 miles and it is now pushing 83,000 miles. I've had to do most of the well-known repairs (brake pedal switch, air intake duct, headrest cable, ZF pan/sleeve/fluid replacement, etc.) but ownership has not been nearly as costly as I initially feared it would be. Like you, she was hit by an inattentive driver nearly four months ago and we are still shaking down the issues from that incident. I'm now trying to find and fix a persistent rattle that is probably coming from one of the rear shocks. It's frustrating and I know it will be more than I'd like to spend to get it resolved....

But keep in mind that our cars are now between 9 and 10 years old. The plastic components get brittle, the rubber components are breaking down, and regardless of how well we like to think we take care of them, these cars are now beginning to feel the effects of their age. I still think they hold up better if they are driven regularly, but the other side of the equation is that daily driving takes its toll as well....

We all have to understand that the care and feeding of these cars will always require more time and money than the typical Toyota or Honda. Hell, my 1999 Dodge Ram pickup costs me maybe $50 per year in parts and fluids. But its lines and appearance cannot compare to my wife's XK8, and that is certainly worth something to her....

The key to owning these cars at a reasonably acceptable cost is to be able to do much of the routine maintenance and repairs yourself, especially as they age and roll up the miles. If you're having to pay someone else to maintain your vehicle, your operating expenses are going to continue to escalate. And that's doubly true if you're taking it to a dealership. A trusted indie shop is a better choice, but still not as good as doing most of the work yourself....

So if you're frustrated enough to think about unloading your car, you may want to consider learning to do the routine maintenance and repairs yourself. And that is why this forum remains by far the most valuable tool in your toolbox. Ask for help here, and you will get it....

Good luck with whatever decision you reach regarding keeping vs. selling your XKR. I completely understand. At some point we'll reach the threshold where it no longer makes financial sense to keep my wife's XK8. When we do, I'll get rid of it. But we're not there yet. Think it through thoroughly before you decide one way or the other....

Last edited by Jon89; 09-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jon89:
JimC64 (09-17-2014), JustJaginOff (09-17-2014), phyllisita (10-03-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,323 Likes on 735 Posts

All, we are reaching the point that MG's and Triumphs obtained in the '90's. Fewer and fewer shops work on or know how to work on these cars and charge a arm and leg because they know you have no choice. If you will look at the LBC (Little British Car) forum they have long been where we are going, ie working on your own car!!
We as a group are so lucky to have experienced individuals that take the time to lead us. If I named one, it would be insulting so many others, just THANK YOU and hope we can do most things our self.

Wayne

The following 6 users liked this post by cjd777:
Angus (09-18-2014), b6283 (09-18-2014), Bob OB (09-17-2014), JustJaginOff (09-17-2014), PaulCarr (09-18-2014), sklimii (09-19-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-17-2014, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

What they said, if you are not able to do your own maintenance then these cars may not be for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
Bob OB (09-17-2014), JustJaginOff (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Sounds to me like you have been lucky.

Diff oil seal
Rear offside Hub carrier bearing
Nearside track rod end
Nearside steering rack gaiter
Nearside rear shock bush
Rear sill/wheel arch rust proofing
Window down driver door clatter fix
Rust repair around boot lock

Trim touch up paint, Dorchester grey
Missing engine trim ECU cover
Headlamp fixing bracket repair
Alien washer repair
Oil cooler replacement
Boot release button

Dash bulb replacements
Repair to reversing sensors
Replacement of rear bumper mount
Repair to rear bumper stiffener.
Replaced leaking coolant expansion tank
Replaced leaking cam cover gaskets
Repaired rust in tyre well
Auto lights on failure repair, new mirror.
Strut brace rust repair
Aerial mast replacement
New brake calliper
External A pillar trim replaced
Wiper spline refurb
Complete front suspension overhaul, all bushes, ball joints and wheel bearings due to poor handling
Front suspension turret welding repairs
Offside CAT converter welded up.
Evaporative emissions canister bracket replaced
Repaired broken door card plastic support
Replaced corroded earth strap
Placed transmission oil and filter/pan
eater pump repaired
Nearside upper O2 sensor replaced
Lower offside O2 sensor replaced
MAF replaced
Steering column up down repair, failed
Steering rack replaced
Both rear wings welded to remove rust.
Wheel repaired due to pot hole damage

Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Jandreu
What they said, if you are not able to do your own maintenance then these cars may not be for you.
+1
My XKR is now 13 years old and my Mazda Eunos is 19. Both are great fun to drive and give silly grin pleasure but I do less than 1500 miles/year in the Jag (off the road from October to April) and less than 2000 in the Mazda - both have done around 73,000 miles - I wouldn't dream of having them as sole transport. Most of the year wife and I use a Toyota Rav4 and Kia Sportage.

Having said that in he 10 years I've owned the Mazda apart from normal wear and tear I have only had to replace the starter motor and the A/C pump - never failed an MOT - With The Jag I've had to do the ball joints, security module and I elected to do the tensioners. I've had no other "big bills" (replaced the odd switch pack here and there). Both have full fluid/filter changes every year (the oil is as clean draining out as when it went in) so I reckon with cars of this age loads of preventative maintenance and TLC with "high day and holiday" miles is the way to go. I don't buy into the idea that it's better to run them all year round. Maintenance wise I do as much as I can but I have a great local "Indie" auto shop that service all my cars for peanuts. I also reckon I've been lucky in dropping on good cars - I'm sure there are some Friday afternoon lemons out there.

Last edited by worrasf; 09-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Problems or no problems don't have all that much to do with whether the car is a "luxury" car. In fact I think you can consider that any so-called luxury car will be more expensive to maintain than say a Toyota or Honda.

I do have to agree though that niggling things like using plastic for key parts such as chain tensioners and crummy hoses for convertible tops seems chintzy for a car that was about $75K when new.

I would suggest you try finding a local nuts and bolts independent guy since these types are usually more resourceful and less expensive that the dealer who does not want to waste time with things like loose inner door panels.

Doug

Old 09-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

It's all about what it's worth to you. If you can't/don't want to do maintenance yourself, then old cars can get to be quite expensive to own, and that goes for just about any make and model. This is especially true if you're going to the dealership.

If you love the car, and want to keep it, then look for a reputable independent. The dealership just sees dollar signs when someone comes in with an older car like that.

We have quite a few members in Texas, maybe someone near you has a recommendation.

My $0.02 about your list of repairs:

HEADLIGHTS
This is the only one that stands out as unusual. Not sure why you'd have trouble with this unless the headlights have been apart for some reason, or you are fording a river.

HEADLINER
Annoying, but common and easily fixed. Replacement is the best option, gluing won't hold for long. Go ahead and do the A pillars at the same time, and think about using Passion Suede or Alcantera for a more elegant look. It won't cost any more.

INTERIOR DOOR TRIM
If it's the top rear of the panel that's loose it's because someone has had the door panel off and broken the clip. The clips can be bought for a couple dollars at the dealer and you can glue it yourself. Total cost to fix is under $5.

ENGINE MOUNTS
This is one of those luxury car things. The motor mounts are some liquid filled nonsense that will leak out over time. Totally unnecessary in my opinion, but that's what Jaguar decided to do for their luxo oriented customer base.

CONTROL ARMS
Control arm or control arm bushings? Bushings make sense, they are rubber and wear out. It's a luxury car so they are soft rubber and wear out faster. If the dealer replaced the whole control arm I'd question whether that was really needed, unless it was in relation to the accidents.

BALL JOINTS
Another wear item. You didn't mention how many miles, but they do wear out and can also be damaged by the same kind of impact that damages wheels.

WHEELS
The spare for the Brembo equipped cars should be a red space saver and should not have any issue going over the brakes. If you have/had something else, it could be it was swapped out by some unknowing person before you got the car.

Wheel damage to the 20" models does happen. Not sure that a different brand will fare much better, there just isn't a lot of rubber to protect them.

That said, I have some 18" Hydra wheels that I'd be glad to trade for your Perseus type.

The following 4 users liked this post by ccfulton:
Bob OB (09-17-2014), Cambo (09-17-2014), JimC64 (09-17-2014), JustJaginOff (09-17-2014)
Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

CC you read my mind, as thats similar to what I was thinking about most points, well said.

The OP doesn't mention mileage as far as I can see, but I'm guessing around the 90k mark, perhaps a little less, perhaps a little more?

Old 09-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Received 256 Likes on 176 Posts

Ill tell you as Ive told others.

1. Stop dealing with Jaguar dealerships,they sabotaged my car 3 times
a.I found a fresh torch mark on my wishbone after getting a oil change
b.My valley hoses were manipulated.
c.My battery cables were loosened, causing all kind of crap.

, and
d. quoted me for a new engine build,when I had a bad battery, determined by a indy.

2.You can keep what you got and spend up to 5 grand renewing her in a couple year's time, or......

3. Pay $500-$900 a month for a new car for 72 months=6 years,or 84=7 years.Then have to repeat the issues you started off with.

4.Or get a well serviced Mercedes Benz. The parts are plenty, similiar styling, and most indy shops work on them everywhere.
Locally, we have 12 Indy shops for foreign cars, all BUT 1 said they can work on my car, and that one that does, don't do major or electrical repairs due to special tools,that life changing event threw me on this forum, as I do my own repairs.

Last edited by aode06; 09-17-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

+1 on all the previous comments, especially the work on it yourself suggestions.

You don't specify where in Texas you live, but based on the repair places it must be the Dallas area.

I use Plano Jaguar for the random part that I can't find on the web or if I am in a hurry, but have never used their service department. There are several indie mechanics in Dallas that will do you a great job at much less than the dealer.

As to Autoscope, which I used several times on my Audi when I had it, let's just say I won't use them again. I need good repair, not a nice waiting room with coffee and upscale magazines.

Lastly, I would highly recommend the forum's own motorcarman. Great work, reasonable prices and very helpful. His only issue is that he is located in Decatur. Worth the drive in my opinion.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Juke
But with all the things you've done how's the engine, suspension and transmission? How many miles do you have on it? Because if the mileage was low you should've invested in a warranty.

Hopefully the accidents, repairs are high quality and since all the work has been done hopefully it'll get easier for you.

Hey do you still have the 3 rims?
The major components are doing fine. It has 90k miles on it, and I probably should have gotten a warranty.

All of the body repairs were made at a Jaguar certified shop.

As far as the damaged Perseus rims go, I already sold them. If I do end up selling my car, I will be selling my Coventry Whitley 20" wheels separately.(Jaguar Wheels by Coventry. Custom X-type wheels, S-Type wheels, XF wheels, XJ wheels, XK wheels) I will be sure to post a link if/when I do.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 PM

I want to say thanks to everyone that responded to my post. I actually didn't expect so many thoughtful responses in such a short time. This car was my 30th birthday present to myself and was the first vehicle I purchased on my own. I was lucky enough to be given a '97 Toyota 4Runner that I drove for 15 years before parting ways with it last year. So, after having two vehicles for a couple years the XKR finally became my daily driver. Anytime something goes wrong(which has been often), I am either renting or thankful for a loaner from the Jaguar dealership. I am currently about to purchase a '14 4Runner and I was looking for some advice and maybe a little support. It seems like from some of your stories that I haven't had near the amount of problems that some of you have experienced. I am no mechanic but I think with a little help from this forum I could take care of some of these smaller issues and regular maintenance on my own. Not having a second vehicle scared me away from taking things apart and doing it myself. I think you have sealed it for me that I will keep her. Hopefully you folks will be around to help me in the future while I try to spruce this wild animal up. It's still a head turner and a blast to drive. Now, if I could just get the cops in my area to stop pulling me over for no real reason. Thanks again everyone. I will make sure to let you know if I change my mind and let her go.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
+1
My XKR is now 13 years old and my Mazda Eunos is 19. Both are great fun to drive and give silly grin pleasure but I do less than 1500 miles/year in the Jag (off the road from October to April) and less than 2000 in the Mazda - both have done around 73,000 miles - I wouldn't dream of having them as sole transport. Most of the year wife and I use a Toyota Rav4 and Kia Sportage.
We're another XKR & Mazda family! I've got a 2003 XKR (bought it about 3 years ago) and my wife has a '96 Miata which she got with very low miles in 99.

The Miata now has 150,000 miles on it, and has been incredibly reliable - clutch slave cylinder, plus 3 sets of plug wires is all it has needed beyond normal servicing (we did replace the rear window a couple of times, but then fitted a Robbins hood with the glass window, and that looks as good as the day we fitted it about 80,000 miles ago (she commutes around 90 miles a day in it)

I also think the XKR has been pretty good - when I got it it needed the roof hoses changing, an airbag connector fix and a couple of electrical switches replacing. I've also had to change a rear window regulator. But the truth is, there's a lot more to go wrong - the Miata is a very basic car (she deliberately chose a model with hand cranked windows, and no aircon. Only option was a CD player - something relatively new back in '96! Most of the things that have needed to be replaced in the Jag don't even exist in the Miata!

Both cars are great fun - but very different. We've taken them both to slaloms/autocross, and don't baby them. We both think cars are meant to be driven! But I know that a broken transmission in the Jag will cost more than the Miata is worth, even if I replace it myself... But it would be a waste not to drive them....

-Steve

Old 09-18-2014, 06:36 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

as regards the value of our cars - i seen a really mint low mileage 1998 Coupe 75K Miles, stainless steel exhaust, new tyres etc in the UK not meet it's £3750 reserve.
You just can not get a better looking or cooler car for that money - i don't understand how they aren't going for quite a bit more for the mint, low miles ones anyway.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:00 AM
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I had a Peugeot 207CC GT from new (fortunately a company car). Stop sniggering at the back.

In 4 years it suffered more electrical issues than I can remember, randomly went into limp-home mode (usually when I was 200+ miles from home), wrecked the top end when a timing chain guide sheared off (replaced by Peugeot as a "good will gesture", which was a joke), suffered a turbo vane failure which caused another top end rebuild, had 3 wheels replaced (one fractured and caused the tyre to disintegrate on the motorway for no known reason, the other two were pothole-related), and was finally written off when a blind pensioner drove into it while it was parked then panicked and put her foot on the accelerator instead of the brake... I was glad to see the back of that one! :-)

If I get that sort of luck with my Jag I'll stick to motorbikes in future!

phyllisita (10-03-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Stereo

Most of your other problems have been addressed by others. I should point out that cars like this don't take well to abuse and it does sound like yours has been bounced around a bit more than normal. On the stereo I've put in a very expensive system and you do have to replace both the head unit and the amps if you have an Alpine. I didn't notice if you have navigation or not but if you do you'll want to replace that too as you can't get map updates. But it isn't hard to do the work and the stereo isn't that integrated with the car that you can't upgrade it relatively cheaply with a single DIN unit and a low cost amp. I suggest replacing the speakers as well and I got this done the first time for around $1,500 all in. In the current car I have over $6K in the sound system but I went way overboard with dedicated woofers, twin amps, top of the line double DIN and a ton of custom panel work (and we had to relocate one bank of switches into the glove box). But the first time around the single DIN unit and new speakers made a huge difference (if I'd done that one over again, since it had a motorized screen, I would have relocated the switches down and moved the stereo up so it didn't interfere with the shift lever when it was in park).

Old 09-19-2014, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I don't feel that a 8yo luxury or sports car with 90k needing a bit of suspension work, motor mounts and some trim is a big deal. The headlight issue can be mitigated by drilling a hole. As far as your wheels, any car with low profile tires has that risk. I own 3 Audis and would be pleased as punch if they were that low maintenance.

Try running an equivalently new priced car such as a Maserati, Porsche or Mercedes 90k and 8 years and have only little niggles like you've had. I think parts are quite cheap for these cars, and they really aren't that exotic in terms of how hard to work on. I think it's all perspective and relative.

An XKR is cheap to run compared to it's competitors; but is expensive to run when compared to a japanese runabout.

Quick Reply: Getting disillusioned with my '06 XKR Vic Ed.