XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with choosing my first X100

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with choosing my first X100

Hi all. New to posting on here. Have had an obsession with the X100 for sometime now and think I may well be about to enter the foray. I've done the research and understand that I may have a few mechanic bills coming my way. Not too worried as recently owned a 2003 Boxster S and though it was amazing fun as a 50mile daily it cost me a third of its 7.5k (uk) asking price on repairs in 18 months of ownership. The usual Porsche tax I believe. Now I'm looking at XK8s (1998-2003) between 4.5k and 6.5k and there appear to be a few pre 2001 XKRs in that bracket too which catch the eye. Am I likely to buy another money pit in this range or can I expect better overall reliability than the Boxster? I know they are different cars and I've done the Bixster Z4 thing. l love the look and drive of the xk8 and like the idea of a GT rather than sporty 2 seater experience. Very tempted by the XKR but not sure if I should stick with the XK8 in this price range?. Looking forward to your views guys. Cheers.

Old 06-16-2019, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

In the UK, Rust appears to be the biggest issue. In the US, the lack of spares/mechanics make this a final straw thing and the cars go to the crusher, but in the UK, rusty cars seem to get repaired.

If I didn't own a garage, tools and other cars to drive while fixing my jags, I probably would not own one. Paying someone to fix everything that can go wrong can rapidly add up to more than what you pay for the car. From an amatuer mechanics standpoint, X100's are not hard to fix, but the hours add up.

The following 3 users liked this post by Ungn:
BradXK8 (06-17-2019), DavidYau (06-16-2019), Gez Shaper (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

I can turn my hand to amateur mechanics and have space to do it but not always the time Though I do know a mechy that I get mates rates from when things get a bit too complicated. I also run a 1996 VW Camper so I'm a sucker for punishment. I want to use it as daily but can drop back on the dub if it lets me down. Heart says XKR head says XK8? I don't want a project I want a runner but a runner that can be a project for longevity and improvements.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Gaz. A fellow from Worcestershire! I am in Malvern.

Bits of advice................

Go for the XKR, its not just because of speed its all the other benefits, options etc. If you do not get a XKR you will wish you had.
I always say when giving advice take a current owner with you. They look at the car with objective eyes rather than 'I want one eyes'. Be glad to offer my help. Where abouts in Worcestershire are you?

Old 06-16-2019, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

XKR gives you more car for not much more money. In my opinion. an R with Brembos and Recaro seats is a future collectable.

CATS shocks are 4X more than regular shocks to replace and the supercharger adds complication and cost. For a daily driver, an XK8 is pretty easy to live with as long as the weather is sunny. An XKR is a little harder to live with and I wouldn't drive one on "bad weather" days. If I lived in the UK, mine wouldn't ever get a chance to be rusted as I'd drive a low HP crapbox.on bad days.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,577 Likes on 945 Posts

1) start with a car that:

a) is not rusty
b) if pre-2003,, has had the cam chains and tensioners replaced
c) new water pump
d) comes with some maintenance records

2) XKR vs. XK8

a) the pre-4.2 XK8's have a weaker transmission design. Which, when the A drum fails, is going to cost you more than the XKR's supercharger to replace, A LOT MORE. That was my tipping point to get an "R" instead of an "8".
b) XKR has just enough power, the XK8 is just a wee bit underpowered for a car this heavy, but still a superb cruiser and long distance GT car

3) 4.0 vs 4.2

if the 4.0 meets the above guidelines, you can save a bundle vs. the 4.2 models, and still have a reliable car.

I bought my '02 XKR 17 months ago and have put 26,000 miles on it since then. Aside from brakes, battery, tires, and similar maintenance type items I've had zero expenditures other than a CPU cooling fan replacement ($100 and 30 minutes time).

Z

Last edited by zray; 06-16-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I agree to make sure you be very careful of rust. As to the choice between the 8 and the R; here is my 2 cents worth. The X100 series is a GT car and not a "sports" car. I bought the 8 as opposed to the R because for my type of driving ( rapid cruising, sight seeing etc ) , the R did not justify the cost , or the extra bit of complication from the supercharger electronic dampers etc. . I can cruise in absolute comfort at well above motorway speeds with ample passing power left. I am also astounded at how good the fuel economy is when cruising. A long run at 110 kph will net 7L/100Km or better.

I personally would suggest a later model ( 4.2L - 6spd trans ) model normally aspirated car. These are reliable enough to daily drivers if you wish and have more than ample power to lose your licence I have owned my XK8 for 3 years. Last year my wife and I did a 9000km road trip and will do another ( maybe 400km ) one this year. The car is my daily driver in summer and I store it in winter. I have never wished that I had bought the R model

Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts

Having previously owned Porsches, from new, I never had the reliability problems that plagued earlier Porsche models. But I understand your desire to change the harder driving sporty Porsche to a softer, more comfortable grand tourer. The X100 fits this mode exactly.

There's a great blogger, John, in his "To The Garage" Youtube series, that has an episode on what to look for in the XK8 for the UK's problem of the dreaded "tin worm" aka bodywork rust. Link below.

I would advise you take up the Forum member's offer on accompanying you to see prospective cars. Another set of eyes, a knowledgeable brain, and his experience with the car will save you a lot of hassle.... and money.

Needless to say, service history on these cars are worth examining in in-depth detail (look for engine tensioners, gaskets, cooling system, ZF gearbox ATF change, front suspension repairs etc). IMHO a well maintained 4.0L na is preferable to a poorly maintained Supercharged 4.2L that's leaking oil, overheats, & stutters.

As I wanted a car to work on in the garage, I choose the 1999 XK8 4.0L na (actually I was virtually given the car, but that's another story). My 290 bhp is fine for cruising and overtaking on the motorways, but the later 6 speed gearbox gives better MPG for long drives. For reliability, as always, go for the later, younger models if possible and the 4.2L engine had a lot of the fixes done, including a better more reliable gearbox. As these cars are cheap on the market at the moment, I would go for the XKR, if I had a choice, UNLESS I planned to do a lot of work in the engine bay. The supercharger complicates matters, and the extra power seems to need extra attention. Some forum members even added a catch can. The engine bay is already tight, with the exterior beautiful shape meaning space in the engine compartment is at a premium. Some things actually touch the bonnet especially if you have a sagging liner. Still if you're mechanically minded, don't mind putting in hours with the wrenches, then the later XKR 4.2L Supercharged is the one to go with. Special editions have some nice options too.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I have owned my 2004 XK8 for 2 yrs+. Fortunately min had been given good service and are. Little botherson (all on the list of unpleasant no surprises). I am also fortunate that there is an excellent(and reasonable) guy that keeps her running right.
i avoided the R simply because I did not want to fool with an extra set of "they are going to happens".
Follow the forum experts advice and you can have a lot of enjoyable driving.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I have had my XK8 for 4 years now, and it's been a very good running and reliable car. It is a 2006, and, as mentioned above, many things have been improved from the earlier model years. I feel the most important thing to consider on these cars is how well they have been taken care of. My car is 13 years old now (really 14), and it still looks and drives wonderfully. I also get a lot of compliments on it. Best of luck, and oh yeah, if you get a convertible, which you probably won't, there have been quite a few issues with the hydraulics leaking, especially on the earlier models.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I agree with frankc and ung. Let's say you have a wide selection:

I couldn't live without heated seats. I'm from what you'd call the new York city area weather wize.

Go for the deluxe sound system option. Look for a super tweeter in the "Sail" (named for its shape) area of the front windows. Or just check for an amplifier in the trunk in CD changer rack.

I didn't realize it for years, but my car with its light colored dashboard reflects the color in the windshield on sunny days. Small thing, but Ttytt I wish it was flat black. Folks tell me that all the later yrs are.

Look for the Trac Off button. Standard (free) was a DSC Off button. That Trac option takes traction control to a higher level.

Other options: heated seats windscreen; auto wipers, well it's up to you but either or both will double + the cost of new windshield. Folks in England seem to love the speed limiter option.

Reverse warning? I don't miss it. Retractable and or heated mirrors? That would be cool. How narrow are your streets? I'll never forget driving in Ireland, you either pulled in your mirror or bought a new one on many streets....

John

Old 06-19-2019, 03:39 PM
Default Big thankyou

Sorry for the delayed reply. I'd like to thank you all for your help and advice. Frankc - thank you I live in Feckenham about 15 minutes east of Worcester. Have been watching To the Garage. Johns videos are so in depth. He's clearly extremely passionate about his vehicles. I could have easily rushed into this purchase but think I will take a bit more time to find the right one if needs be. Frankc should I find something close by I may well take you up on that offer.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

No problem. Rose and Crown at Feckenham, years since I have been in there.

Your right to take your time. These cars are wonderful to look at and wonderful to drive. Once you have one you wont want to part with it but they can be a money pit if your not careful.

Next time you look at one ask them to raise and lower the drivers headrest. If you can stand the wait Just before Christmas is the best time to buy. Especially from a dealer who wants not only to get the monthly figures up but the end of year ones too. Plus no one buys cars at Christmas they need the cash for gifts, parties etc.

A Franks tip. When you see a car you want take note of the reg number. Not only can you check the MOT history etc online you can also put the registration into a insurance quote website. Most websites will give you an insurance valuation. These are usually very unrealistic and way below the value you think the car is. But you can do a print out and show the seller, just tell them you needed an insurance quote. That should help get the price down.

When you do get the car, and you will as you have the bug now, go for an "Agreed Value" insurance. Not all companies do them. I use classic line. You take photos of your car. Describe, honestly, the condition of your car and you both agree on the value of the car. If, heaven forbid, the car gets written off the agreed value is what you get. I have seen members loose literally thousands on insurance pay outs with 'normal' insurance.

Yes only too happy to go with you to see a potential car. If you ever want a ride in an XKR Convertible let me know. I can also show you the weak points and why a XKR is a much better car.
This is mine outside of one of my local pubs, the Swan at Hanley Swan.