Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Programming

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:17 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Ignition Key Programming

Hi all. This is my first question as a new xk8 owner and new forum member.

I received 2 regular keys, the valet key and two fobs with my 1998 xk8 coupe. One of the fobs worked, but the other did not. After replacing the cr2016 batteries and following the guidance elsewhere on the forum about fob programming, only the boot release and lights worked on the second fob. Dismantling it and cleaning the contacts with isopropyl alcohol corrected this and now both fobs work correctly.

Of the keys themselves, one regular key and the valet key will start the car. The second regular key will fit, turn to position II and the car will light up and go through the check sequence, but when attempting to start will not activate the starter. I tried the procedure recommended on another thread where it suggested turning the two working keys to position II For less than 5 seconds within 10 seconds of each other followed by turning the third NON-working key to position II for a few seconds and then repeat with one of the working keys. At the conclusion of this sequence there was no change in the non-working key which would still not allow a start. Am I doing the correct procedure for this year and model? If not, how can I program the third key? Is it likely that the transponder in the key has failed, or will it be necessary to pay the dealer to program my keys?

Thanks for the advice.

Andy

Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
agd

I installed the JTIS that has been helpfully provided here to search what I can find about programming the transponder key, but was not able to find anything specific to the topic. Did I overlook it? Any direction on programming the keys is appreciated.

Andy

Old 04-21-2016, 12:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

You didn't overlook key programming in JTIS. It's not included.

As your research discovered, fobs can be DIY programmed. Keys must be programmed either by a dealer or someone with dealer level diagnostics.

An alternative approach is the working Valet Key could be converted into a Master Key.

The only difference between the two is in the end sections marked in red above. Note the Master Key is machined down in that area. This is what allows it to open the glove box and luggage compartment but prevents the Valet Key from opening them.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Ignition Key Programming-dsc_0109b.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 PM
agd

Thank you Graham.

Interesting description of the difference between the valet key and the full function ones.

Someone on an other thread described using two working keys to program the third, which did not work for me. So although disappointed it was not a simple DIY solution, I am glad to have it confirmed that it must go to a dealer and it was not necessarily incorrect technique or a faulty key.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:31 AM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The 2 working keys to programme the 3rd is NOT for the X100 or X308.

bob

The following users liked this post:
agd (04-22-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 02:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The 2 working keys to programme the 3rd is NOT for the X100 or X308.

bob
Ah, so for the X100 then, there is no way to order a key/transponder from ebay, get it cut, and then program it yourself (which, according to to other threads seems to be possible for the X-type and XJ8), despite having other working keys?

Old 09-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by pbuck
there is no way to order a key/transponder from ebay, get it cut, and then program it yourself ?
I did some research for a MY 2003, which might be different than yours.

The hard answer is no, but I believe you can order the right key online. You can also read the tibbe code off of an existing key and have the new key cut (typically, same online vendor). This is not terribly expensive.

Adding the key to the car is the "hard part". The easy answer is a visit to the dealer (last I checked on this, it was $150, so more than an hour of labor). The better answer is that some independent locksmiths apparently have the necessary software and can add a key to a car, but they have to necessarily be local to you as all keys and the car have to be programmed together.

If you are looking into this, you can also retrofit a new "switchblade" key fob to work with our cars, by switching the stem and chip onto the fob...

The following users liked this post:
pbuck (09-16-2016)
Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

The keys can be configured to the car if the correct software/hardware is used.

I have a WDS and can configure ALL Jaguar keys up to 2006 MY cars.
The good thing about WDS is it NEVER EXPIRES, is NOT password protected and does not need to be updated to function. It is however a DINOSAUR (Windows 98) compared to all the newer Jaguar diagnostics.

Find someone with PDU, WDS, IDS, SDD, AutoLogic, AutoEnginuity etc. (or visit the dealer)!!

bob

Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

I too did a fair bit of research on this and I believe the following to be correct ..........

Remote fobs can be DIY programmed - plenty of information here and elsewhere.
Keys contain a small transponder coil which is "dumb" so car is programmed to key(s) not vice versa. Default is up to five keys I think.
If you buy a new key, you need WDS or similar to programme the car to that key.
There are some companies who can "clone" a key using a transponder coil identical to one of the existing keys. The car doesn't know it's an additional key, so just accepts it. Obviously, you need at least one key and you will probably have to send it away somewhere, but this can be the cheaper option.
The "mechanical" side of the key is straightforward - they can be cut easily and blanks are readily available. But ........... you need the transponder to start the engine !!

Old 09-17-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Keys contain a small transponder coil which is "dumb" so car is programmed to key(s) not vice versa.
Not quite right, the key transponder and car talk to each other. The later keys from 2000 on (ID48) use a much higher crypto encryption system than the earlier keys (ID13)
Though I believe both of these systems can be cloned

Here is the ID48 information:

When the process starts the car generates a random number. It is sent to the transponder. Now both computers perform the complex mathematical operation using two numbers they both should know, the random number and the secret key. They each produce a third number. The number is split into two parts called F and G. Both computers now know F and G. The car sends its F to the transponder. The transponder can check that the car has correctly calculated F. That proves to the transponder that the car knows both the secret key and the Megamos Crypto algorithm. The transponder can now be satisfied that the car is genuinely the car it is supposed to be. If the transponder is happy, the transponder sends G to the car. The car checks that G is correct. If it is correct then the car is happy that the transponder also knows the secret key and the Megamos Crypto algorithm. Thus the car can be satisfied that the transponder is genuine. So both devices have confirmed the identity of the other without actually revealing the secret key or the secret algorithm. The car can safely start.

Last edited by Stumpy; 09-17-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Derek................ Crikey !! That's complicated. I know nothing about complex electronics, so this may be a stupid question but ........ there's no battery in the key, so where does the transponder get it's power from to "send G to the car".
Does it work by induction or something similar ? Is there a microprocessor actually in the key ?

Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Derek................ Crikey !! That's complicated. I know nothing about complex electronics, so this may be a stupid question but ........ there's no battery in the key, so where does the transponder get it's power from to "send G to the car".
Does it work by induction or something similar ? Is there a microprocessor actually in the key ?
I think the answer is yes and yes. There is a coil at the ignition switch and so that coil and the key coil in close proximity are basically two halves of a transformer.
Thanks for all the replies, but rats! that the easy process of sitting in the driver's seat inserting multiple keys in and out of the ignition doesn't work for the X100. I have a valet key so maybe I'll just get a file out and convert that to a backup master key (I've already ordered a fob for it anyway) and forgo the valet function. Or maybe the i930 I received yesterday might help... I think I'll go and look.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Unfortunately your new i930 scanner will not program your keys for you. It may not even communicate with your car. I've had one since February and while it will communicate with most of the modules in my 2005 S-Type and my wife's 2006 XK8, it will not even acknowledge my buddy Wayne's 2000 XK8. These i930 units are sketchy at best. I hope mine will continue to function for our two Jaguars but I don't have much confidence in it. It obviously does not do all the things that iCarsoft's marketing scheme says it does....

Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
These i930 units are sketchy at best...
I think you're right. For my 2001 XK8, and using the ability to read DTCs without getting a communication error, my i930 communicated with only 8 out of 18 listed modules. They are engine, transmission, abs, instrument pack, driver and pass head restraint, security locking and restraints control. Of course, the key transponder module is amongst the failures. The unit doesn't work at all in OBDII diagnose mode.
My unit was fulfilled by Amazon so it may be fairly easy to return. On the other hand, maybe it's worth keeping just for the modules it works with. I've got a few days to decide, I guess.

Reading up on WDS in this forum, attempting that path seems difficult at best. I have an old XP laptop - maybe I can consider the Mangoose/ JLR SDD V139 (although it seems to be V143 at the moment and that states Jaguar 2005 and up which doesn't include my car).