XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 03:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Replacement?

My current instrument cluster has a short that illuminates the ABS, Parking Brake and SES lights.

Is it possible to swap the cluster for another or is the odometer integrated into the cluster of PCM?

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-12-2019, 03:17 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

The Instrument Pack is programmed to the vehicle so it isn't just the odometer reading. If you swap one from another vehicle, nothing at all will light up!

What makes you certain it's an IP fault illuminating the warnings?

Graham

Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

You might want to read the (Jaguar-specific) codes with a code reader for more detail. There is a chance a control module is trying to tell you something.

Separately, check the TSBs on jagrepair.com. There were a number of failed-but-fixable solder joints on these IC circuit boards over the years (with accompanying codes). Zooming out, the ABS modules also suffered from failed solder joints, especially on the '97. This is harder to get to (module has to be disconnected from the brake lines and the shell has to be drilled into), but the fix itself is fairly easy (solder big power pegs), no super-fine soldering involved. You can also send this out for a pro repair, for a fee, but way cheaper than a replacement.

Best of luck,, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
Chip Abbadessa (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The Instrument Pack is programmed to the vehicle so it isn't just the odometer reading. If you swap one from another vehicle, nothing at all will light up!

What makes you certain it's an IP fault illuminating the warnings?

Graham
In addition to the warning lights, the speedometer does not work. Throws 1637 code. Runs fine otherwise.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Different problems not just 1

You may have different problems, not just the instrument cluster.

When you say the car runs fine, have you driven it hard? The P1637 says there’s an ignition problem so you’re probably under powered.

As for no speedo, with the ABS light, I would think that there’s a communication problem. Maybe check CAN wiring.

These instrument clusters can be re-programmed if you can find a proper Jag technician, but I would check the above suggestions first.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:44 AM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Aside from the P1637 code, it could be the solder joint on the cluster. Mine went bad, I took the cluster out and re soldered the bad joint. The cluster was then fine for about 3 days and then it started doing the same thing, idiot lights on, no speedo or tack. I ended up getting another cluster from the junk yard. Installed it and no more problems. The new cluster works fine except your millage will now show what the new cluster has. The millage is stored in the cluster. I've copied part of the TSB below.

Campaign S484 - Instrument Pack CAN Assembly

413-S484

DATE 08/00
Amended 12/01

V8 XJ Series/XK

MODEL
2000 MY XK Range
2000 MY V8 XJ Series

VIN
A00116-A05322
F00103-F09691

Instrument Pack Assembly - CAN Failure - Service Action S484 Remove and destroy Bulletin 413-S484, dated 08/00. Replace with this Bulletin.

Revisions are updated information is shown by asterisks.

*Note: This Service Action has been reissued to stress the need to install a new backplate in every case except when the instrument pack is replaced.*

Issue:

Some vehicles within the above VIN range may display multiple electrical circuit malfunctions such as:

^Multiple warning lights

^No messages displayed on the message center

^All or some gauges go to zero

^Gear selector will not come out of the park position

^No A/C operation.

The cause of this has been identified as a Controller Area Network (CAN) failure in the instrument pack caused by a short to ground. This is due to a combination of pressure from the instrument pack back plate and possible migration of solder on certain printed circuit board contacts.

Action:

Check and rework all vehicles in dealer stock or undergoing PDI, within the above VIN range for possible signs of solder migration. Vehicles already released to customers should be inspected at the next dealer visit.

Do NOT replace the instrument pack unless the vehicle shows ALL of the above symptoms of electrical circuit malfunction.

The correct part number for the replacement pack is detailed on the VCATS label located in the luggage compartment.

To prevent possible duplication of corrective action, once the necessary action required has been completed, print the service action number (S484) on the VCATS using a suitable waterproof pen.

*Note: All vehicles within the above VIN range that do not require replacement of the instrument pack, must receive a new backplate for the existing instrument pack. Failure to comply may result in future warranty claims being debited.

The following users liked this post:
Chip Abbadessa (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Thanks for all this information. I think this is the solution.