XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Air Temp Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

There may be but are you sure you need one?

(If I wanted one I'd get a used one.)

Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Thanks JV8.

I really don't know, but after 14 years and 200+K miles, I figure any one part may be subject to replacement. My trims are OK, but a bit high, and I know that things just "change" with time. The conductivity / resistance of wires & components change as does the thermal tolerance of stuff. So if someone came up with the Mazda, Ford, Toyota (etc.) equivalent part, and it was relatively cheap, I might spring for it "just because". Worst case scenario: Nothing changes and I end up with a known-good spare. (Wouldn't be the first time! - lol)

Old 04-25-2017, 01:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

The same "logic" applies all over the car so do you plan to get every sensor etc? Gonna be a nightmare...

Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

Nah, of course not. But the MAF is the first link to so many ECU outputs, that I've kinda got my eye on it. To be honest, other than the slightly high trims, the car runs unbelievably sweet. Even my gas mileage is good (well, for 400HP Super Charged engine, anyway!! - lol). I'm usually of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset, but I also like to be mindful of things that could degrade over time vs. just failing.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 562 Likes on 269 Posts

Was interested in this discussion and did some research. (Google). The Code P2199 is a Generic Code related to IAT sensor on other makes. The Jaguar DTC P2199 is a nebulous type code. When you fill your car with gas, the vapors in the tank get forced into a canister filled with activated charcoal. Also, on a hot day as the gas heats up and vaporizes, those same vapors push into the canister where they're stored. But the charcoal can only hold so much vapor. At some point it has to be emptied. The emptying process is called canister purge.
P2199 Jaguar Possible Solution:

Gasoline engines use spark plugs to cause an explosion of fuel within the cylinder. In a properly timed engine, this explosion occurs at the proper moment to send the piston to the bottom of the cylinder and provide power to the drive shaft. If the plug wires are out of sequence, the explosion occurs at the wrong time. The improper timing of the explosion sometimes pushes the cylinder the wrong direction or interferes with the turning of the crank. As a result, the engine stutters or backfires, if it runs at all.
Jaguar P2199 Engine Trouble Code Description For All Models :

• Jaguar 220
  • Jaguar 240
  • Jaguar 420
  • Jaguar C-Type
  • Jaguar Concept
  • Jaguar D-Type
  • Jaguar E-Type
  • Jaguar F-Type
  • Jaguar Kensington
  • Jaguar Mark
  • Jaguar R
  • Jaguar S-Type
  • Jaguar Sovereign
  • Jaguar SS
  • Jaguar Super
  • Jaguar Vanden
  • Jaguar X-300
  • Jaguar X-400
  • Jaguar X-Type
  • Jaguar XF
  • Jaguar XJ
  • Jaguar XJ-12
  • Jaguar XJ-13
  • Jaguar XJ-220
  • Jaguar XJ-6
  • Jaguar XJ-7
  • Jaguar XJ-8
  • Jaguar XJ-8L
  • Jaguar XJ-S
  • Jaguar XJR
  • Jaguar XJS
  • Jaguar XK
  • Jaguar XK-8
  • Jaguar XK-SS
  • Jaguar XK8
  • Jaguar XKA
  • Jaguar XKR
P2199 meaning and repair processes are the same for all Jaguar models.
After understanding P2199 Jaguar error code for your Jaguar car, now you can repair yourself.
P2199 Jaguar Trouble Repair Process: If your vehicle failed a P2199 Jaguar test and the P2199 Jaguar Check Engine Light is NOT on, chances are you have a problem with the OBDII system, a burned out MIL lamp, or a faulty catalytic converter. The converter is essentially an afterburner that cleans up the exhaust after it exits the engine. The OBDII system uses a ownstream oxygen sensor to monitor the efficiency of the converter, and it should detect a drop in converter efficiency if the converter has been contaminated or is failing (ignition misfiring, leaky exhaust valves, and oil burning can all damage the converter). What you want to look any conditions that might cause ignition misfire, an overly rich or lean fuel condition, or loss of compression. Use your OBD Express DIY to look at the oxygen sensor outputs, coolant temperature, airflow, calculated engine load, and inlet air temperature.
On 1999 and later P2199 Jaguar engines, the instrument cluster has a built-in self-diagnostic mode that can be accessed by pressing and holding the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button. Insert the ignition key and turn to the RUN position (but don't crank or start engine). Continue to press and hold the SELECT/RESET button (for 5 seconds) until the word TEST is displayed by the odometer. Release the SELECT/RESET button within three seconds after the word TEST is displayed to begin the self-diagnostic mode.

Supposedly it can be detected by doing a diagnostic test with the dash cluster The Intake Air Temp sensor seems to be a S/C only sensor part. The IAT on balance of the engines is a function included with the MAF sensor as noted above.
Was unable to just do a link to above web page copy & paste. Perhaps this can add some additional info not yet noted. BTY, my car is running well on a Chinese MAF for over 1K miles. I just bought it to see if it functioned. Cost $17 USD incl. S&H.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

Hi K. Do you happen to know if your MAF is also good for my '03 XKR? Did the company list other MAFs for other model Jags?

Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I'm betting that the Denso 197-6030 mass air flow sensor will function properly on any of our Ford-era Jaguar engines. The one I acquired from amazon.com back in February functioned properly in both my wife's 2006 XK8 with the 4.2 engine as well as my 2005 S-Type with the 3.0 engine. I successfully tested it on both vehicles for a week at a time, then stored it safely on my garage shelf in its original packaging as a future spare....

It also looks identical to the factory Denso mass air flow sensor on our 2013 Subaru Outback with the 3.6R engine. While I have not tested it on that vehicle, I bet it will function just fine there as well....