Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Integration of New Nav Into Stock System

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Integration of New Nav Into Stock System

Hey Guys,

I am becoming more and more frustrated with my 06 NAV system. Yesterday it took an 8 mile route to my home and routed me 40 miles... It actually wanted me to take the freeway that goes past my house for 8 miles past my house and then turn around and come back in the other direction. I live in Los Angeles, so there is an offramp every 1/2 mile on the freeway.

So I saw where another member mounted a new portable nav into the location of the stock screen. I think I want to try this. But I would like to integrate the audio so the instructions still come through the Jag system. Muting the stereo and speaking the directions is going to be key in the convertible.

Does anyone have a schematic that shows the Nav Audio connections to the stereo system. I have the 'Enhanced' Alpine system.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dave B

Old 06-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Here's my take on all the expense and contortions some have gone through to try and install a new NAV system in our cars--GIANT WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT! With all of the steadily improving portable hand held devices that now include NAV capabilities, I don't even think I would bother to lay out one penny extra to have the NAV option on a new car let alone spending big bucks and time to try and retrofit something momentarily better in my "old" car.

Just my opinion.

Doug

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

Doug,

I am planning on using a portable unit. I just want to have it permanently mounted in the car since I leave the car with the top down all over town.

Tomorrow (Friday) night is the First Friday Night Rally leaving from Devonshire/Sepulveda at 8pm. You going to come out ?

Dave B

Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

I really like luxXKR's solution he posted here. But I don't think the audio goes through the sound system. I agree with o2manyfish that that is the way to go.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by o2manyfish
Doug,

I am planning on using a portable unit. I just want to have it permanently mounted in the car since I leave the car with the top down all over town.

Tomorrow (Friday) night is the First Friday Night Rally leaving from Devonshire/Sepulveda at 8pm. You going to come out ?

Dave B
Hey Dave,

Where is this rally and how did you hear about it? Is it just a meet-and-greet drive or really some competitive rally (I have never done one of those things)? Where does this one end up?

Doug

Old 06-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I used a Magellan Maestro 5310. Made a bracket and wired it to the power. I made punch out speaker looking grills to replace the old buttons on the side. It fits perfect and works great. It does not come through the car's audio system though. I have a coupe so that is a big difference, I could understand with the convertible. I've been using it for a couple of months now and it works great -- zero problems and I'd do it again. I posted some pics of it a while back, I think it looks great and nobody knows it isn't factory that just looks at it not knowing what's supposed to be there.
Another bonus is that I only have about $150 + a few hours tied up for the whole thing. Reconditioned Magellan 5310 - $120, speaker grill - $10, speaker mesh - free for inches, ABS plastic -$10, spare cigarette plug to splice - $8. And a few hours during the week to mess around with it... priceless

Last edited by jnporcello; 06-04-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

jnporcello, I don't recall seeing your pics. Care to post again here?

luxxkr's process looks pretty intensive and very good instructions, but no pics of the final product.

I always give people looking for a new nav system, to consider the Garmin GVN 53 unit, it's the black box that Kenwood uses in their 7" in dash head units w/ nav. Basically, this black box is a little brain, has RBG output so it can be tied directly into your screen. It has RCA outs, and also amplified speaker output, so you can either use their provided speaker, or tap into the jag speaker wires. It has the mute line that you can simply integrate with your Alpine unit, so the volume mutes when the navigation needs to speak, there's an antennae that is about 1" x 1" square that sits on at the corner of my dash, but barely visible. The Garmin operates using their supplied remote control. Touchscreen...nope.

You can do it very simple, and use the jag screen RGB inputs, and don't worry about using the clock or jag unit ever again. Just needs some wiring and installation.

Or, you can go a little more advanced, get a video switch box where you can select multiple RGB outputs, so the OEM system can be viewed/used or the Garmin can, just need the switch (NavTV works good) and mount a toggle somewhere.

I've really enjoyed mine.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Here's my take on all the expense and contortions some have gone through to try and install a new NAV system in our cars--GIANT WASTE OF TIME AND EFFORT! With all of the steadily improving portable hand held devices that now include NAV capabilities, I don't even think I would bother to lay out one penny extra to have the NAV option on a new car let alone spending big bucks and time to try and retrofit something momentarily better in my "old" car.

Just my opinion.

Doug
Exactly Doug! NAVIs are way too expensive as options in new cars. I'd rather spend my money on something that will last. Portable units are more reliable and have many more options included. You can replace it for less than the dealer would charge you to even look at the OEM for problems!! Portable for me only.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy

luxxkr's process looks pretty intensive and very good instructions, but no pics of the final product.
He has pics. If you look at that link I provided above he has a link to the final product. The one thing I like about his solution is that I can use the touch screen. My 2003 XK doesn't have a touch screen, and a touch screen is so much easier to use than a non-touch screen unit.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

missed that second link!