XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking noise from rear but only when warmed up after a few miles has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Knocking noise from rear but only when warmed up after a few miles has me stumped

2001 XKR 76000 miles RHD

For at least the last 2 years (maybe more) I have had a noise seemingly from the underside rear drivers side that I can only describe as a metallic "hollow" knocking - a bit like a loose exhaust mounting or suspension bolt. The weird thing is it only ever happens after I have done about 10 miles and coming back down my lane to home. The lane is very uneven it must be said. First thing in the morning driving along exactly the same roads there is no noise at all - nada. Coming home from work no noise at all until I get to the same spot of road and then it starts - weird.

It has been on the ramp and road tested numerous times by the mechanic who does all my servicing and MOT's and absolutely nothing untoward found. No loose mountings, bolts, shocks, exhaust etc etc.. Because he has never found anything to fix (or diagnose) I have been content to leave it alone. My reason for posting now is that she is going in for annual MOT next week and I'm going to get him to take another look so any pointers would be helpful.

I should say that the noise has not got any worse over time - just the same.

I'm going to see if I can get a recording of the noise and I'll upload it if that's possible.

Steve

Last edited by worrasf; 07-21-2016 at 01:38 AM.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by worrasf
....... it only ever happens after I have done about 10 miles and coming back down my lane to home. .....
Get the lane resurfaced.

If the machine the MoT Stations use for 'bumping' the suspension doesn't reveal anything loose or worn sufficiently to give metal-to-metal contact then you can probably discount bushes and bearings as possible causes. That leaves shock absorbers - the unit itself, isolator at the top or the bottom spherical joint.

Graham

Old 07-21-2016, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Get the lane resurfaced.

Graham
If only it were that simple

We have been in a battle for the last 5 years to get this done. We, along with the other 5 homeowners own the road immediately opposite our properties (the road is unadopted) but 1 who is somewhat challenged cerebraly refuses even going as far as digging up newly laid surface - so much for care in the community so we are pretty stuck with it.

I could understand it if it were purely the crappy road surface but if so I would expect the noise every time I went up and down not just when the car has warmed up - bizarre

Old 07-21-2016, 06:12 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Very strange - both the neighbour and the 'warmed up only' scenario.

Possibly a loose baffle in a silencer box .......

Noises like this can drive you nuts. I spent ages sourcing a rattle in the back of my 2001 XK8 before finally finding it was the telescopic wheel brace in the tool kit!

Graham

Graham

Old 07-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Try greasing all the universal joints in the rear, I had an odd noise only when hot. Greased all the U-Joint, ones at the wheel are a pain but can be done. Have not had the noise in over 6 months, immediately went away, grease them until grease pops out.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Richxk8
Try greasing all the universal joints in the rear, I had an odd noise only when hot. Greased all the U-Joint, ones at the wheel are a pain but can be done. Have not had the noise in over 6 months, immediately went away, grease them until grease pops out.
Good suggestion - i'll get my guy onto it

Old 07-21-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Steve have them look on top of exhaust system, or any other spot that a squirrel could place a nut, we replaced our whole exhaust system thinking the catalytic converter was shot. You could hold the converter and feel the rattling. when we removed the exhaust system a couple of walnuts came rolling off of the top of the converter.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by RCSign
Steve have them look on top of exhaust system, or any other spot that a squirrel could place a nut, we replaced our whole exhaust system thinking the catalytic converter was shot. You could hold the converter and feel the rattling. when we removed the exhaust system a couple of walnuts came rolling off of the top of the converter.
Not beyond the realms of possibility - you'll note from my photies we live in a wood (hence crappy lane) so all manner of furry creatures are around. Had a squirrel trapped in the waste bin a few years ago - that critter managed to gnaw through 1 inch thick high density plastic to get out