XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOOKING FOR LOCAL MECHANIC FOR xk8

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LOOKING FOR LOCAL MECHANIC FOR xk8

i JUST BOUGHT AN XK8 2002 WANT TO FIND A MECHANIC IN MY AREA THAT IS PRETTY CHEAP

Old 10-17-2017, 01:30 AM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm sure that there are forum members near Provo in Utah (beautiful State) who can suggest an independent Jaguar mechanic.

However, "PRETTY CHEAP" isn't something I would make a priority. These cars are not easy to work on. If you cannot do the work yourself, then you will have to pay somebody to do it.

I only have two requirements for my mechanics and that being that they are knowledgeable (about Jaguars naturally) and honest (do not charge for work that doesn't need to be done).

"The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after a cheap price is forgotten"

Stu

The following users liked this post:
cat_as_trophy (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hmm . . . the issue of "cheap" is a vexed one and Stu's response is both measured and wise. The XK8 is an exotic beastie and, even if you shop out much of the work, including routine maintenance, it WILL prove expensive. I won't add further to Stu's advice . . . IMHO, it will be far more critical for you to become a knowledgeable owner. Use the resources here . . . read and read, then compare what you read with what you see on your car.

However, I will share this titbit from a sage anaesthetics professor during my medical training some 50 years ago when asked to discount his fees . . .

"At which point would you like my cheapest fee? . . . the part when you are supposed to go to sleep for your surgery? . . . or the part afterwards when you are supposed to wake up?"

Honesty. integrity and reliability are qualities I would rather insist on . . . and the more you read from many of our tech gurus and old hands here, perhaps the more you will agree.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jongarfield
i JUST BOUGHT AN XK8 2002 WANT TO FIND A MECHANIC IN MY AREA THAT IS PRETTY CHEAP
Welcome to the forum Jongarfield,

The place to post a question like this is the US Western Region forum - this Model forum is for technical issues and the Region forum is for geographically relevant ones.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

Jongarfield, I live in Salt Lake. Fortunately, I have been able to do repairs myself (with the help of this forum) on my '97. I'm 70 yrs old so I don't know how much longer I'll be able to do my own work.
The only thing that was done by an indie was the front wheel hub replacement that the tire shop paid for.
I don't know what you consider "cheap", but the labor rate from the indie was $95/hr about 5 yrs ago.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

you will be very hard pressed to find someone cheap to work on these cars. Cheap does not = quality with these cars.
What needs fixed? You may be able to do it yourself.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:35 AM
Default JonGarfield

I am very delighted with the responses I have received from my last request. Thank you for your interest. The more I read from your suggestions the more I realized how inappropriate my request was. "Cheap" is not really an appropriate word to use in any language when in reference to a Jaguar regardless which model. I must admit, I am new to this game. my first car, right out of high school was a Jaguar XKE convertable hard top. It spoiled me for the rest of my life, because no car I have ever driven has provided the same satisfaction in my driving experience, but the cost of keeping in running always kept me poor and driving my VW beetle instead. I guess I am just going to have to get used to spending the money if I want to own one of these marvelous machines. But I jumped back into it with both feet after 46 years pining over the XKE. I bought 2 of them, a 2001 coupe and a 2002 convertable, both XK8. What do you think I am in for?

cat_as_trophy (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member

Great response Jon, for advice designed to be honest and realistic.
What are you in for when comparing your XK8s to your earlier E-Type?
(Hustle up closer, coz I don't want to offend all my E-Type friends . . .)

Having not just owned, but regularly road driven our magnificent Series1 E-Type for near 40 years . . . having briefly raced another . . . then followed by the 4.2L 6spd XK8 for what, I regret, will be far less . . .

IMHO, (shhh, others will be listening) the XK8 wins hands down - on every measure of performance, drivability and reliabilty - as it should . . . good grief, they are separated by 35 years of Jaguar GT and race bred development. Were it not for the mixed reaction to British Leyland styling, the XJ-S and its brilliant V12 engine (especially pre-HE) would nestle in the mix also.

Can I offer further words of advice . . . both your cars appear to be 4.0L 5spd fed, and the changes to later cars are significant . . . so, clearly list them in your sig so you get accurate help and . . . jump into the Sticky 'How To' and download all the workshop & owners manuals, TSBs & guides that will help you maintain your "best of the best".

Drat . . . that's torn it . . . somebody is bound to have overheard that . . . LOL.

Best wishes,

Ken

Jongarfield (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:15 AM

I appreciate your response, rather sharp and witty I might add. I agree, it was hard to admit, but I do love these two XK8s even more than the XKE I owned 46 years ago. I didn't think it was possible. As far as following your advise on including more information about me and the vehicles I own, I haven't yet figured out how to do that. I little help would be highly appreciated. I love this forum and intend to take full advantage of it when I come to understand it better and how to get the best use out of it. It is actually quite intimidating to be honest to have jumped back into the Jaguar ownership with the purchase of both XK8s and I am eager to learn just how helpful this forum could be as I settle in to this new life of owning two more of these vehicles. Actually a little scared of just how involved I may very well become as the vehicles begin to run into problems as I am sure they will at some point. So your support is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all of you who respond so kindly.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

How could we not help . . . all of us have been new chums and, as one now in my 70s with 50yrs of Jaguar ownership behind me, I am still learning.

So, fasten your seat belt and let's do a quick tour around JaguarForums. When you first open JF at the Main menu, look top left for User CP and nav down to Edit Sig and click. This is how you enter car model & year details that will appear in your sig until you acquire more Jags and need to change it (LOL). Similarly, you can Edit Avatar, if you wish to add a pic of your beasties, a logo or whatever in the area where your User Name appears in posts. Explore all the other options like creating and filling up photo albums. Sooner or later you will want to send someone a Private Message and here is the portal to do so.

Next, I mentioned the Sticky 'How To' which is a thread permanently stuck at the very top of all threads in each Forum with priceless resources, all free for you to download and use. Finally, experiment so as to learn how to use the Search Tools . . . it may surprise you to learn how many times previously your very next question has already been asked and answered . . . and by sifting through the archives, you will certainly be rewarded with a variety of subjects you haven't yet found or thought about.

Above all, dive in and enjoy. We are a generally happy, helpful bunch around here and get genuinely excited when we sense someone new is embarking on (or in your case, rekindling) their Jaguar love affair.

Best wishes and keep us posted with your progress and your questions.
Cheers,

Ken