XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Mileage XK8 Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 07:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Low Mileage XK8 Gremlins

Hey Jagworld! I’m putting a shout out to you Wise & Seasoned Jaguar Veterans. I greatly appreciate any good advice!
I just got my first Jaguar, a 2003 XK8 coupe with 33,000 miles, in ‘like new’ shape visually in & out. No rust. Engine/trans, everything runs/works perfectly. Driven consistently between 2003-2019 about 2,000 ml/yr by two retiree-owners who garaged & Babied it. A buyer’s dream until… Next was willed to owners grandson, who drove it two years until graduating high school. Now going away to college, he sold to me.
I shudder to imagine... He likely drove like a teen, harder than ever driven, then did less maintenance than ever.
I’m already planning ASAP to install new brake rotors, pads.
Also, have front end inspected/aligned with new OEM ‘Apollo’ 2003 Jag wheels.
The car itself seems perfect so far, but…
I know there are likely many age related problems that lurk under her perfect facade.
As a rookie Jag owner & the car at 18 years old with only 33k miles, I’m not sure what to inspect, replace, or renew.
So please… Advise me on known Gremlins related with Aging, Low-Mileage XK8 drivetrains, electrical, brake, steering, suspension systems, etc...
Thanks

Old 09-03-2021, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Drive that thang!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Bobbydrums (09-04-2021), DavidYau (09-03-2021), JimmyL (09-03-2021), sklimii (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

If you have to ask other folks what problems to look for, then you're in pretty good shape ! You might want to check out the front shock mounts while you're in there doing rotors and brakes though.

The following users liked this post:
Bobbydrums (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM
Received 134 Likes on 68 Posts

Push sport button and drive ''vigorously''.

Bobbydrums (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I'd say the item to immediately check in these later cars is the set of 4 hydraulic lines to the oil cooler. They start under the crank pulley, work outward to get around stuff and regroup on the oil cooler. There are a number of Al/rubber interfaces where a ferrule is crimped to keep the rubber in place. The general understanding for hydraulic components is a service life of 10 years. If you see ANY weeping at these interfaces, it is time for a replacement (all 4 lines see the same pressure, so replace all 4). Pricey ($400?) but easy job to DIY. The danger is one of these lines blowing out, and having all the engine oil dumped on the road. It takes seconds to happen and can ruin your engine if not able to pull over quickly to turn the engine off.

Besides that, get a cheap ELM327 OBDII device to get some live data for a better picture of the engine health. Fuel trims come to mind.

You will probably want to put a comprehensive transmission service somewhere on the horizon. Mercon SP Flush/refill, pan, bolts, seals, etc. This is well documented.

Last, keep in mind the fuel pump is of the return-less variety, very expensive ($500+) and somewhat tricky to replace. You will want to baby the fuel system as much as practical, especially having been driven this little. Do frequent filter changes (cheap, easy), periodically do fuel system cleaners like Techron, etc. to keep everything nice and clean.

There is an insanely great amount of documentation on jagrepair.com, likely a major contributor to why our cars are still on the road.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Bobbydrums (09-04-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Chill and enjoy!

+1 to JayJagJay - just enjoy the car. No point worrying about what might fail. When you feel something isn’t right, then take action.

Fmertz gave some good advice in checking the oil cooler lines & planning for a transmission service.

The list of possible car age related problems would give you unnecessary stress. Just like our blood and skin bodies, don’t do anything insanely stupid and things will work out fine. As I told my boys, if you haven’t broken a bone you’re not a man. And broken bones can be fixed! Just like the Jag!

The following 3 users liked this post by DavidYau:
Bobbydrums (09-04-2021), CA Jag (09-03-2021), piper 888 (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 03:10 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Drive that thang!!!
JayJagJay…I’m Syked & onda way! But must go slow🥺 She’s on dry-rot tires until Apollo’s arrive.

Sweet collection JJJ! Must be 1 helluva story on your XKR taking a SWIM!?! Soo much electronics…you got mad skills to tackle that!

Old 09-04-2021, 03:38 AM

JimmyL, Yes I’m counting my blessings! Shock mounts are 1st on my new front end checklist. Thanks for tip & words of encouragement.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Markel
Push sport button and drive ''vigorously''.
Markel, Sport button was on when I got in, so I never turned it off. Researching… One post says ‘sport’ feels like it raises the horsepower by 100 using higher ShiftPoint/RPM’s. Others say they notice little difference or it depends on year. Lots of theories…so I’ll check the Jaguar manual, then real world trials ensue!
Thanks & “Sport” that thang!!!

Old 09-04-2021, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

It's no problem if it's been driven hard.

Lack of maintenance COULD WELL be a problem.

Change fluids (including gearbox of course), check tyres (tires) & suspension items, check for perished hoses.

Use the right fuel of course.

Have fun, don't get speeding tickets (or crash!)

Bobbydrums (09-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz
I'd say the item to immediately check in these later cars is the set of 4 hydraulic lines to the oil cooler. They start under the crank pulley, work outward to get around stuff and regroup on the oil cooler. There are a number of Al/rubber interfaces where a ferrule is crimped to keep the rubber in place. The general understanding for hydraulic components is a service life of 10 years. If you see ANY weeping at these interfaces, it is time for a replacement (all 4 lines see the same pressure, so replace all 4). Pricey ($400?) but easy job to DIY. The danger is one of these lines blowing out, and having all the engine oil dumped on the road. It takes seconds to happen and can ruin your engine if not able to pull over quickly to turn the engine off.

Besides that, get a cheap ELM327 OBDII device to get some live data for a better picture of the engine health. Fuel trims come to mind.

You will probably want to put a comprehensive transmission service somewhere on the horizon. Mercon SP Flush/refill, pan, bolts, seals, etc. This is well documented.

Last, keep in mind the fuel pump is of the return-less variety, very expensive ($500+) and somewhat tricky to replace. You will want to baby the fuel system as much as practical, especially having been driven this little. Do frequent filter changes (cheap, easy), periodically do fuel system cleaners like Techron, etc. to keep everything nice and clean.

There is an insanely great amount of documentation on jagrepair.com, likely a major contributor to why our cars are still on the road.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
Thanks FMERTZ, that’s a lot of info & tips! I appreciate your generous time & knowledge sharing. I will be looking into all of it. So jagrepair sounds like my new best friend. The transmission was on my radar. I read it needs changed around 70,000, but with such age I want all fluids/filters new & clean as possible.

I definitely need a code reader and engine analysis. I’ll start with yours, but cheap isn’t necessary with computer interface. I’d really like one with as many helpful features as possible…as I have never had good luck with electrical systems, so I need all the help I can get. Any further thoughts on those are welcome.

My car is a ‘03 coupe too. Black in & out. So much harder to find than convertibles & much sportier looking! When we look this good, we don’t need to go topless!

Old 09-04-2021, 05:37 AM

Thanks DavidYau. You & JJJ are right! And I shall enjoy for many years. But, only having the car five days and working, I’m afraid to drive it much until I get good tires/alignment & get underneath to look around. It won’t be long and I’m There! Thanks for the attitude check.. cruise on!

Old 09-04-2021, 06:17 AM

Thanks JagV8. The more I learn, I feel better about the car’s potential reliability. I’m not used to buying Premium gas, but driving the car is worth every drop!
I’m sure the high school kid rode it hard at times, but the drivetrain is smooth, fluid levels good, & the oil sticker was current. I fear the suspension may prove much less attended to. Front end definitely needs attention. I’ll find out how much when my wheels/tires come in. Thanks for the encouragement & suggestions!

Old 09-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,291 Likes on 892 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobbydrums
JayJagJay…I’m Syked & onda way! But must go slow🥺 She’s on dry-rot tires until Apollo’s arrive.

Sweet collection JJJ! Must be 1 helluva story on your XKR taking a SWIM!?! Soo much electronics…you got mad skills to tackle that!
Hahaha,,, i GOT tackled... Like a Charlie Brown scene with little birds spinning around my head, as I sit in the dirt, toes up...

It's the guys here that make things possible...

Bobbydrums (09-06-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 09:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Bobbydrums,

Sport button. Best example of what it adds that I've ever found:

Straight quiet road. Sports button off. Travel forward at 32mph. Floor it- observe.

Now exact same thing with sports button on. You'll see :-)

Enjoy

John

Bobbydrums (09-06-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Bobbydrums,

Sport button. Best example of what it adds that I've ever found:

Straight quiet road. Sports button off. Travel forward at 32mph. Floor it- observe.

Now exact same thing with sports button on. You'll see :-)

Enjoy

John
Ohhhh, you got my attention! I’m off tomorrow too! A have a feeling I’m going to be smiling! Thanks Johnken