XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Low Oil Alarm

While driving the other day, the RealGauge low oil alarm started sounding intermittently. The analog oil pressure gauge was
reading normally, and the pressure on that gauge was varying with changes in RPM as I have observed for several years since
installing the RealGauge. I checked the oil level and it is normal.

I am thinking (I know that can be a dangerous undertaking), that the problem is with the RealGuage. There is nothing wrong
with the temperature gauge, so I will start my investigation at the pressure sensor and work along the cable run. I just wanted
to throw this out there to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I will update when I have a chance to work on the car. I presently have a foster dog living in my garage at present, but he should
be gone next weekend.

Thanks.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

it would be a good idea to bleed the sensor according to the instructions. if there is some air trapped in the adapter T, low RPM reading can dip below the alarm threshold. to my knowledge the audible sounder is only triggered by the pressure sensor and not the original factory switch.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

The factory gauge reads mid scale once the engine is started and the alarm will not sound unless the pressure drops below 4-6 psi. With the Realgauge the pressure could drop to 15 psi at idle. What does it read when the alarm sounds?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

If the oil pressure warning light on the oil pressure gauge comes on with the alarm it is being triggered by the original factory sensor. If the oil pressure warning light is not coming on, then it is being triggered by the RealGauge sensor. RealGauge monitors both sensors.

If the problem is only at startup I suggest a new oil filter, as your current one could have a missing or bad check valve.

If the problem is at idling when the temperature is hot, I suggest switching to a slightly higher viscosity oil (any chance the type of oil you used changed recently?).

Let me know which of these situations apply or not and I will give further guidance.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-19-2019 at 10:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
mcook (02-19-2019), zray (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 387 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
it would be a good idea to bleed the sensor according to the instructions. if there is some air trapped in the adapter T, low RPM reading can dip below the alarm threshold. to my knowledge the audible sounder is only triggered by the pressure sensor and not the original factory switch.
i was incorrect regarding the alarm, please see WhiteXKR's response above.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

i was incorrect regarding the alarm, please see WhiteXKR's response above.
This is actually correct, but it would be very unusual for bleeding to be necessary again unless the adapter or sensor was removed.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Thanks for your info.
The warning light and alarm do indeed actuate at startup, so my first thoughts were also the oil filter.

However, the last time I drove for any distance the light/alarm were also actuating when I was on the
interstate doing 70ish. The pressure gauge was normal at around 50psi (can't remember what RPM)
and if I increased speed/rpm/oil pressure the light & alarm would silence, but actuate again at normal
(70sh mph) running speed/pressure, which made me more inclined to think the problem was the OEM
pressure sensor.

I intend to replace the filter anyway, and my next long drive down the Interstate will be on Friday, so I
will see what happens then.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mcook
Thanks for your info.
The warning light and alarm do indeed actuate at startup, so my first thoughts were also the oil filter.

However, the last time I drove for any distance the light/alarm were also actuating when I was on the
interstate doing 70ish. The pressure gauge was normal at around 50psi (can't remember what RPM)
and if I increased speed/rpm/oil pressure the light & alarm would silence, but actuate again at normal
(70sh mph) running speed/pressure, which made me more inclined to think the problem was the OEM
pressure sensor.

I intend to replace the filter anyway, and my next long drive down the Interstate will be on Friday, so I
will see what happens then.
Yes, if you had the oil pressure light and the the gauge (with RealGauge) is reading correctly at 70ish, then it is very, very likely the OEM pressure sensor or a bad connection to it.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:09 PM

Looks like I fixed the problem. I had an oil change last week as well as a new filter. The shop owner and myself
both verified the new filter had the no back-drain valve fitted. This did not fix the problem. I ordered a new
oil pressure switch ($13.90 inc. postage from Terry's Jag Parts) which I received and fitted today and now
everything looks good.

Thanks for everyone's input.

The following 2 users liked this post by mcook:
Johnken (03-07-2019), RJ237 (03-07-2019)