Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are my lights HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Are my lights HID lights?

How can I tell? I have a 2003 XK8. The owners manual says the HID lights are an option. They are definitely the self-leveling lights because when I turn them on I can see them adjusting themselves as they shine against my garage door. They also seem whiter than the high beams. But when I'm on the road at night they don't seem nearly as bright as the lights in my Expedition.

Also... assuming my lights are HIDs, is it possible to replace the high beams with HIDs, too? It seems like it should work if I one of the kits online. Would that help with the brightness level at night?

And another "also", I have no need whatsoever for fog lights. I would much rather have driving lights that shine like a laser beam for 3 miles down the road. Does anyone make a narrow-beam driving light that fits into the fog light holes?

Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

If they appear whiter on low beam, then they are probably HID.
It has been a bit since I've read this thread, but I believe there is a kit to make the high beams HID, check out this thread. As a member of this forum you get a discount. I'm actually surprised you have issues with the headlights. Mine aren't HID, but even on dim they are pretty bright (of course I'm comparing to my '87 Cougar, which, even with illegally bright lights...make me think I could hold up a match and see farther)

As far as fog lights, I haven't looked into it, but you would have to replace the entire housing since it is more the reflector than the bulb that differentiates a driving light from a fog light. You would also have to rewire them since as fog lights they are set to shut off when the high beams are on. Since they are a simple round light, I'm sure you could find a suitable driving light that would fit, then it would probably be easiest to run new wiring and reuse the switch.

Maybe someone can chime in with more, but if you do replace the fogs with driving lights, keep us posted, because that would be interesting.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:49 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Maybe someone can chime in with more, but if you do replace the fogs with driving lights, keep us posted, because that would be interesting.
I bought (online) what I thought were a set of fog lights that I was going to replace the factory fog lights on my Taurus SHO with but they ended up being a set of driving lights. I installed them anyway. You're going to get flashed a LOT because they are bright. I have them pointed down towards the road about as far as you can go and still have useful light. The beam is narrow and reaches out vrs a fog light that shines more to the sides.

I wouldn't do it again.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
I bought (online) what I thought were a set of fog lights that I was going to replace the factory fog lights on my Taurus SHO with but they ended up being a set of driving lights. I installed them anyway. You're going to get flashed a LOT because they are bright. I have them pointed down towards the road about as far as you can go and still have useful light. The beam is narrow and reaches out vrs a fog light that shines more to the sides.

I wouldn't do it again.
Driving lights are supposed to be wired to only work when the brights are on. I've driven an F150 that had both driving and fogs. They were set up so that when both switched on, the driving lights were on with brights, and the fogs were on with dims. They are very effective this way. That particular truck also had a bunch of offroad lights as well and when everything was switched on, it was like having your own little spot of daylight.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:24 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
How can I tell? I have a 2003 XK8. The owners manual says the HID lights are an option. They are definitely the self-leveling lights because when I turn them on I can see them adjusting themselves as they shine against my garage door. They also seem whiter than the high beams. But when I'm on the road at night they don't seem nearly as bright as the lights in my Expedition.

Also... assuming my lights are HIDs, is it possible to replace the high beams with HIDs, too? It seems like it should work if I one of the kits online. Would that help with the brightness level at night?

And another "also", I have no need whatsoever for fog lights. I would much rather have driving lights that shine like a laser beam for 3 miles down the road. Does anyone make a narrow-beam driving light that fits into the fog light holes?
Reverend - If the lights are leveling on powerup they're HID. Also, HID tend to start dim for a moment then brighten up whereas halogens are instant on.

If you convert the brights to HID I wouldn't want to be coming headon with you buddy! Then with your driving fog lights, you're going to be inadvertently quirrel hunting in trees when you drive.

Last edited by steve11; 05-29-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I wonder how long it takes the HIDs to get up to full power. I tend to switch between high beams and low beams a lot on the curvy roads up in the mountains, and if I replace the high beams with HIDs I wonder if the HIDs would warm up quickly enough to be effective. Maybe that's why the high beams are regular old incandescents.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Look on the 'A' pillar with the driver's door open. You will see a sticker for HID headlamps if your car is equipped.

bob gauff

Old 05-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I wonder if the HIDs would warm up quickly enough to be effective. Maybe that's why the high beams are regular old incandescents.
I think that's precisely why the majority of HID equipped cars stick with Halogen hi beams, the others tend to use a moving reflector/shield on the same HID bulb as lo beam to create a hi beam effect, so the bulb is already hot most of the time you need hi beam.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

When I first got my XKR, I was very disappointed in the light output. I bought Sylvania Silverstar lamps to replace the hi and lo beams. I am very satisfied with them. HIDs can be very expensive to replace and you have to deal with the "lamp out" computer on aftermarket installations. Easy to do and a lot less expensive. Don't have to worry about the "kinks" in the electrical system.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
Look on the 'A' pillar with the driver's door open. You will see a sticker for HID headlamps if your car is equipped.

bob gauff
Thank's Bob! I found the sticker and I definitely have the HIDs. The sticker on my car was actually on the B-pillar.

For those of you who are confused by the whole A-pillar B-pillar thing (I used to be) here is an article on Wikipedia which explains it all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillar_(car)