XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nameless High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Nameless High Flow Cats

Three days ago I had a set of the latest series Nameless high flow cats installed on my 2005 XKR coupe. First, the Nameless cats fit perfect in all respects. There were no problems at all with the match up at the engine, brackets, oxygen sensors or the down end pipes. There were likewise no fault codes when the engine was started or on repeat runs. The Nameless cats provide a lot deeper and louder growl when the throttle is applied but no disagreeable sound when cruising. Overall, they have performed just excellent.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the sound of these on the youtube video of an XKR with them. I`m thinking of doing this too. Did you leave the rest of the exhaust system stock or did you remove the center
muffler or do any other modification?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Thanks for taking time to submit your review on Nameless. I am sure they will be pleased with their performance as well

Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM

I left the rest of the exhaust system as it was. I was planning to drop the center muffler but once the high flow cats were in place they provided just the right amount of extra growl and I did not want to diminish highway ride quality. There is quite a noticeable difference when you apply the gas. As far as performance was concerned, I was already satisfied with what the car could do and the high flow cats added a little extra.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:46 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I`ve gotta do this......! Thanks...

Old 03-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Are these the downpipes with integral cats? I believe there are a couple of different versions (200 cell/400 cell?). Which did you end up getting. Also, if you don't mind my asking what did the actual install cost (muffler shop?) and how long did it take?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 03-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Doug, I purchased the street legal Cats and not the track down pipes. In fact the Cats were actually stamped for use in California. The workmanship on these was excellent and the match up to the XKR engine/exhaust was perfect...like factory. I had the change out done at an independent Jaguar shop in Orlando, Fl, All Jaguar, a farther & son business. I will not trust my car to anyone unless they have been working on Jags for at least 10 years and these guys have been in the business for over 25 years. They inspected the Nameless Cats before installing them on my car and thought they were some of the best work they have seen and, in fact, thought I had paid $1500-$2000 for them. When I told them that I paid just under $700 they were blown away and plan to contact Nameless for other customers. I think the actual installation cost was about $100 and it took about 1.5 hours. If you haven't tackled the bolts on stock Cats you may want to let a Jag Tech do the job.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. This may be something I want to eventually do but there are two primary considerations. First is that it an independent shop or muffler shop be able to install these while I wait (more or less). Second, the sound should not end up being too loud in the cabin. A more robust exhaust sound would not bother me much by my wife would go nuts if it ended up sounding like some 70's musclecar with glasspacks.

Doug

Old 03-12-2011, 03:28 PM

Doug, removing the stock cats is straightforward. On the passenger side remove the air inflow tube from the air filter to the throttle body. Look down and see the heat shield over the cat. Next remove the heat shield over the top of the cat. Then its just unbolt the cat from the engine and the exhaust pipe on the other end. As the cat is removed carefully unscrew the oxygen sensors. On the drivers side extract coolant from the reservoir tank. Remove the tank hoses and remove screw holding the tank to the bracket. Move the tank to the side. Then remove heat shield over top of cat. unscrew cat on both ends and remove, also carefully unscrewing the oxygen sensors. Then its just reverse what you did. My car was done on a lift which made the whole process much easier.

As regards the noise; the exhaust note and volume are noticeably increased when you hit the throttle. Under normal/reserved driving the car sounds very respectable. At 70-80 mph on the highway I did not find the cabin noise to be objectionable. But, when you hit the gas you can hear it in the cabin considerably more then when the stock cats are in service.

Hope this helps.

Tim

Old 03-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

I will probably end up getting these if they ever have some great group sale here. When I had my 95 Corvette I bought some shorty ceramic coated headers that looked sweet and were supposed to be good for a bit extra hp. Unfortunately, I never got around to installing them and they sat around the garage looking nice for 14 years until I sold the car. The problem was that these would have been a major pita to install and I just never found the time. However, the downpipes/cats for the Jaguar are obviously much simpler to install and I would probably actually follow through and install them once I get around to buying.

Doug

Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I am saving up for these, sould be up to purchase in a couple of weeks.
Right now I am still evicting the spirit of Cubano mechanic from my XKR

Old 03-12-2011, 04:42 PM

Just some follow up notes. Be careful to not over torque the nut/bolts when removing the stock cats. It is very easy to twist them right off as they are not very substantial. A little heat or liquid wrench applied to a stubborn nut will help usually solve the problem. I had some Kroil on hand and it worked great. Of course you can back the broken bolt out after the cats are off or if you don't plan to keep the stock cats then its not that important.

You may want to send Jason with Nameless an email for more details. He was very helpful when I was deciding to purchase.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

So Tim, on the previous post it sounded like you had a shop do the install but then it also sounds like you did the install. Was it a combination of the two?

Doug

Old 03-12-2011, 06:00 PM

No Doug, I just paid very close attention and, at times, was happy to hold the light or pass tools. Four college degrees and 40 years as a practicing scientist has taught me how much I don't know and when to defer to someone with superior expertise.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Goldlion

Im glad you like your cats . I love mine. Nameless does a amazing job at every thing they do...

Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM

Oh yes, I recognize that sound. All growl but no howl. Have you done anything else from the cats back?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Thumbs up exhaust

Yes i have.

looks like this..
Name:  2010-03-22193245.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  70.9 KB
Picture was taken on the floor behind the car at Nameless while the prototype cats were being developed. Its SS with mandrel bends. X-pipe, Under the axle and Magnaflows. Its vary aggressive sounding. I think a lot of people on here would not like it. But i love it.

Please note: that exhaust was not made by Nameless.. That was put together for me long before i was introduced to Jason at Nameless by a mutual friend.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Very nice, 2000blackxkr. That is pretty similar to my system, only a H rather than an X and Flowmasters at the back rather than Magnaflows near the center. I'm wondering if these cats are worth doing on an XK8? Probably not as much as an XKR. Maybe down the road a bit.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:31 AM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have just installed the Nameless Cats to my 1999 XKR.
So far every thing else is as per factory.
The first impression is that the purring ***** has found it's growl. It now sounds like a V8.
The difference is subtle, definitely not as raw as the existing youtube video.
I plan to live with it as is for the next few weeks, but my thought is that I will want to remove some muffler(s).
Question is which one(s)
I think the tone is great. Maybe just a bit more volume.
t.b.c.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Very nice, 2000blackxkr. That is pretty similar to my system, only a H rather than an X and Flowmasters at the back rather than Magnaflows near the center. I'm wondering if these cats are worth doing on an XK8? Probably not as much as an XKR. Maybe down the road a bit.
I would say yes.. Are you going to get as much power out of it as a XKR? prob not. Will you gain some.. i think so.... This is only my opinion... But if it was my car... i would do it.