XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav screen too dim

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Nav screen too dim

Map and clock screen is very dim in the day time. Looks normal at night. If I move the instrument lights to
high with the steering column switch the map gets a bit brighter but still not enough to see it plainly in the daytime.
Is there a light sense switch or bulb that I ban maybe clean or test? The nav screen seems stuck in the night mode.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:38 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Have you been into Menu> Setup> Display Colour and checked it is set to Day or Auto?

Old 03-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Experimented some today.

Headlights OFF. Navigation lighting in AUTO. Nav backlighting is bright in the sunlight and dim in the dark (in this case my garage). Works on its own depending on ambient light. All is good.

Headlights in AUTO (which means they are ON). Navigation in AUTO. Backlighting is dim unless the instrument rheostat on the steering wheel column is moved to the override high (brightest) position. Headlights in AUTO is the normal driving position and I am guessing the Nav system thinks that because headlights are on it should be dim. Of course in the daytime that means you can barely see the clock or nav map or whatever else is selected on the screen unless you force it to bright with the column button.

Not sure why the Nav backlighting is affected by the headlight position. If ambient light is dark it should dim and if its light
in the car it should be bright and it should always be adjustable via the column rheostat.

On top of all that when the instrument backlighting is adjustable with the rheostat the Nav backlighting does not change along with the rest of the instrument lighting as I feel it should.

A small thing but annoying.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

Why are your headlights on during the day in Auto mode? They should be off if it is bright outside and only come on as it goes dark or you go through a tunnel. You know you can adjust the point that they switch on with the rheostat on the back of the mirror (at least I can on my 2001)?

Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Why are your headlights on during the day in Auto mode? They should be off if it is bright outside and only come on as it goes dark or you go through a tunnel. You know you can adjust the point that they switch on with the rheostat on the back of the mirror (at least I can on my 2001)?
I see no place to adjust the headlight sensitivity on the back of the mirror on mine.
Whether the headlights are on or off is not the issue. It is switch position in Auto that controls the Nav backlighting.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 459 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by funracer

I see no place to adjust the headlight sensitivity on the back of the mirror on mine.
Whether the headlights are on or off is not the issue. It is switch position in Auto that controls the Nav backlighting.
Given that headlights being on or off do appear to control your sat nav backlighting, I think it is clearly the issue as your headlights are on during the day in Auto position.

You might want to find out why the headlights are on, when they should be off, before looking at anything else.

Good luck!

Old 03-17-2019, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by dibbit
Given that headlights being on or off do appear to control your sat nav backlighting, I think it is clearly the issue as your headlights are on during the day in Auto position.

You might want to find out why the headlights are on, when they should be off, before looking at anything else.

Good luck!
I am calling them headlights but maybe they are daytime driving lights?

Watch this vid. He refers to the dimmer “quirk”. My dimmer works like the one in the vid but the Nav lighting does not move in conjunction with the other instrument lights.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Neil,

I thought I would go out to the Garage and check the Nav. Light to see when it was at it's Brightest...The answer for all is: when the Lights are in the Off position. The Clock is very readable and Bright when the Head- Light switch is OFF...….If I move the switch to auto the Clock Dims as does the Speedo...so I leave the Auto switch on Off.....Of course, I can read my Clock quite well at Noon! I the late afternoon, the speedometer reader Panel will sometimes come on and say "Lights are Off" but most of the time, it's still to light for them to make any difference....but I have Daytime Driving Lights that are on at all times until they dim when I finally do turn on the Headlights...

I mentioned in another forum, that I still use my Nav. quite a bit around Houston and it still works very well....It still has all the streets and things that were there back in 2003 when it was produced...The new parts out here in the West-Side and of course anything built since then just aren't there! It's funny as I live on the West edge of the end on the Map...Great going East but I'm Blindfolded going West...….Nothing there that wasn't there in 2003......but what the heck! I still haven't seen all of everything to the East.

Billy Clyde In Houston

Billy Clyde

Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 PM

Yes that is how mine works as well. So if light switch is in auto in the daytime you cannot see the map with the top down.
This is with the Nav also in AUTO.

I am on a week long business trip but when I get home Saturday I am going to play around with the DAY/NIGHT
positions in the Nav settings. Maybe it will work better leaving the Nav set to DAY and the headlights switch in AUTO.

Thnaks Billy

Old 03-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Let us know what you come up with....Do you still use your Nav?

Billy Clyde

Old 03-19-2019, 09:18 PM

I use it on the occasional long drive. I find it a bit cumbersome to enter the addresses for everyday use.