XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a remote key fob, inexpensively?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile Need a remote key fob, inexpensively?

I bought a 2005 XK8 2 months ago with one key and no remote. Yesterday I bought a key from the dealer for about $300.00 including the programing. PAINFUL!!! A new remote was offered at about the same price. However, I found a Universal Remote at Autozone (part # 300-0247ES). I wasn't sure, at first, because it cost a lot of money, $24.99 PLUS TAX!!!! :-)
I decided to spring for it and see if it works. I followed the "Activation" sequence and then the "pairing to MY car" sequence Carefully. It works PERFECTLY!!!!! (The little confirmation 'Beep' at the end was very faint, so listen carefully)
The model listed above says "Jaguar XK Series, 1997-2006." I don't know why the 1996 and the 2007 etc. are not listed. On the Autozone website it said, "Tell us what you drive and we'll tell you if it fits" so I put my info in and the part # above came up as working for my car. If you drive something else, search for 'remote key fob' on Autozone and enter YOUR car info and maybe there will be one for YOUR car too. :-)
Mine locks, unlocks one or both doors, opens trunk, fires off the panic alarm and lights. "Jaguar Owner, 1, Jaguar Dealer, 0
P.S. UniversalCarRemote.com, their website, lists other places where you can buy their remotes. They also sell keys with the built in remote. Unfortunately, they don't appear to sell one for Jaguar. I hope at least one of you finds this helpful. Oh, yes, I am buying a second one for my wife, signed, "Big spender" Tom :-)

The following 11 users liked this post by ThomasL:
cjd777 (10-17-2017), EZDriver (10-18-2017), GGG (10-18-2017), GordoCatCar (10-19-2017), Johnken (10-17-2017), MarkN (10-18-2017), MRomanik (10-18-2017), Orthodixie (10-18-2017), prettybluefin (10-20-2017), Redline (10-21-2017), test point (10-23-2017) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

try KeylessRemoteWarehouse.com I think they have one want$90 for it, I obtained one recently from remotes remotes.com but they don't seem to show your year which is strange I thought it would be the same as mine on an 02 ...I paid $20 ....also found on Ebay for $20

Last edited by jeremys; 10-17-2017 at 12:29 PM. Reason: additional info
The following 3 users liked this post by jeremys:
GGG (10-18-2017), Johnken (10-17-2017), ThomasL (10-17-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 05:06 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasL
..... Universal Remote at Autozone (part # 300-0247ES) .....
Originally Posted by jeremys
..... KeylessRemoteWarehouse.com .....
Two different solution here. ThomasL details an aftermarket option for Autozone and jeremys gives two sources of used OE Jaguar remotes.

Good to know the Autozone universal one does work.

A used OE Jaguar remote is the easier choice when you can find one but it must be the correct frequency (US and Europe are different) and the correct Lxx-yyyy-zz series number. Model year alone is not always the absolute guide.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
MarkN (10-18-2017), ThomasL (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 08:31 AM

Graham,
Good response. The ONLY Jaguars listed on this particular remote is the '97 - '07 XK's so if someone has something else, the used remote may be the way to go. I just glanced at the keylessremotewarehouse.com webpage and they offer OEM products as well so, cars other than the XK8's mentioned above might be available there as well as some of the others mentioned in this thread. Thanks again, Tom :-)
P.S. If you do try the Autozone product, Carefully, follow the instructions. When I bought the second one, it said to have all the existing remotes with you when you program the new remote. Not being careful, I had to try 3 or 4 times to get them both working. I tried to program the 2nd one without the 1st already programmed one in the car. Then, the 1st one didn't work any more. After I tried with both in the car and following the instructions EXACTLY, I got them both programmed. That made me a little nervous about combining an OEM and this universal remote because it might be possible that the OEM would not work, so be cautious. Contacting the people at the Universal remote company with that question might be worth doing.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:42 AM
Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

FYI my original fob programed just fine with a $20 generic, ran thru instructions for 2 in car worked fine��

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (10-18-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I bought mine from the local Ford Dealership a year or so ago for ~$60. I saw the one in autozone a couple of weeks back and it looks exactly like the one I purchased from Ford.

I will have to check the numbers on the back of mine next time I am in there, as I plan to buy one and keep it in the house, should I ever lock my keys in the car. I only received one Master Key and no remote when I purchased the car, and I have been looking around to have a 'dumb key' cut for the door in case the battery dies, and I lock the keys in the trunk.

Has anyone considered drilling a small hole into the trunk lining from underneath and extending the emergency release cord in the trunk through the hole, then conceal it with one of those plastic mountable cover plates to seal it from the weather?

This way I would have access to the trunk in case the battery died and I locked my only key and remote inside, by unsnapping the hidden cover plate and pulling the cord from the outside to open the trunk.

The following users liked this post:
ThomasL (10-21-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 XKR
Has anyone considered drilling a small hole into the trunk lining from underneath and extending the emergency release cord in the trunk through the hole, then conceal it with one of those plastic mountable cover plates to seal it from the weather?

This way I would have access to the trunk in case the battery died and I locked my only key and remote inside, by unsnapping the hidden cover plate and pulling the cord from the outside to open the trunk.
Funnily enough they have...........
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-access-79432/

The following 3 users liked this post by Norri:
03 XKR (10-20-2017), CorStevens (10-21-2017), michaelh (10-21-2017)
Old 10-21-2017, 07:29 AM

On the subject of getting into your locked car, has anyone found a source for the 'unique' Jaguar key that is less expensive than at the dealer? If so, has anyone been able to 'program' that key on their own? I saw a YouTube video on the subject claiming that it can be done. Tom :-)

Old 10-22-2017, 02:56 PM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Tom, After reading your post, I purchased a pair of fobs for my 2005 XK8 from an eBay seller at a slightly reduced price. I sent them a note just to ask if pairing instructions were included and they responded quickly, asking for my specific year/model for verification. Once confirmed, I placed an order with them.

Since you're just thinking about a spare key just for unlocking the trunk, an unprogrammed key cut for your car should work just fine, as long as it is not a green base "valet" key (the very tip is unmilled, as compared to your regular black base tip). It wouldn't start the car, of course, but should pop the trunk ok. I'll bet these guys can help you choose the right key and cut it accurately: How To Decode Your Jaguar Tibbe Key And Find Your Tibbe Key Code - Car Locks and Keys

Also, here is a very informative webpage with comprehensive instructions on programming keys yourself (IF you have 2 keys. If you only have one key, you must get the 2nd one programmed by a dealer or shop with the necessary software. Then, you can take the 2 programmed keys and program more keys yourself): http://blog.uobdii.com/jaguar-key-fo...9-user-manual/

Last edited by Redline; 10-23-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 243 Likes on 136 Posts

I bought a universal remote that was listed as compatible with the XK8 from RemotesRemotes.com $40cdn including shipping. I followed Linda's programming instructions and it works perfectly