XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new key for XKR

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 08:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default new key for XKR

When bought my used 2006 XKR I only got one green key (i think it is a valet key) and a fob. I want to get a correct main key so I have a second. Other than the dealer, does anyone have a diffferent source for the key? The dealer wants about $400 for the key/programming, etc.

Thanks
Steve

Old 08-28-2020, 09:14 AM
Received 7,901 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Sone (forum member)
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/members/sone-195620/

Made me a few keys for my 2000MY XJ8L.

I can't advise on configuring to your car because I have a few WDS and a few IDS so I do this myself.

Sone has a key cutting machine and can cut the correct key.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Fobs are easy/cheap because they follow the Ford "standard" (since MY 2001). You can even get an integrated fob/key like an S-Type. The pairing of the fob to the car can be done at home, no special tools involved. check the stickies. Get 2 if you can, should be < $50 a pair.

For the mechanical key (open doors/trunk, and turn the ignition but not start the car) you need a Tibbe 8-cut key. There is vendor on the classifieds or check eBay. You will need to read your existing key to provide a "code" of sorts to the vendor. A good picture will do too. I'd say get 2 as well. Should be < $40 each.

To start the car, you need a crypto chip. Model is Megamos 48 (definitely not Megamos 13). Cheap on eBay. If Jaguar is not listed, pick VW. Make sure they are new, and not used. Information on this is possibly confusing, you might have to take a chance on a purchase. Check the return policy, but these are cheap enough to risk it.

The tricky part is to pair this crypto chip to the car. This is a software procedure done through the diagnostics port. To my knowledge, the existing chip you have cannot be cloned. There are several options.
  • Mobile locksmith that comes to you (probably $$$)
  • Dealer, will probably charge a diagnostics fee ($$)
  • Get a handheld scanner that can do this procedure. My Jaguar/Land Rover Foxwell device claims to be able to do this. Of course this scanner does other things (not just a tip calculator) and will likely serve you well over time. Probably < $200 (eBay, Amazon)
  • Procure a copy of SDD running on a laptop with a proper cable, and do the same as the dealer. Can be cheap in the end, but likely will take time to get and setup.
This programming needs to be done at once to ALL your keys. Any key not reprogrammed will no longer be able to start the car. And yes, you can buy multiple Megamos chips and add them all (up to 5 total) to use later in a future key.

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
motorcarman (08-28-2020), Redline (09-12-2020)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts

Fmertz, I am not clear as to the procedure and / or consequences of creating a new fob. I have a 2005 XK8 and only one fob. There is nothing wrong with the fob I have, but I want to have a second unit for the spare key.
The fob provides the following functions, holding the fob upright with the key dangling below. Upper left, Lock, Upper right, Unlock, Lower left Lights (looks like a low beam symbol), Lower right Trunk open. The FCC ID is # CWTWB1U322. Initially, I am encountering "discontinued" item with my searches, but it may yet be found.
As to programming, in the event I find a similar fob on the web, can you please steer me to a known successful sequence of programming steps for my car? Also, if I understand correctly (and I may well not), the programming procedure requires the reprogramming of both the old and the new fob. I also read some comments from members who have to get their keys reprogrammed, and that they all have to be done at the same time. I hope that the fob is not involved in the latter. Anyway, reprogramming things that are working nicely makes me a little - make that 'a lot' - nervous, if such is the case.
Thanks very much for your assistance.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Confirmed, keys crypto chip and remotes/fobs are programmed separately.

The procedure for programming the fobs are captured in the stickies. As you pointed out, there are 5 "slots" for key fobs. All the fobs you have have to programmed in one session. If you have 2 fobs, program the first one once, and the second one 4 times for example.

recoding-remote-alarm-transmitters-faq-33580

Old 09-08-2020, 01:33 PM

You can do each keyfob transmitter only once and let the system 'time-out' by waiting until the procedure has expired.
Remove the ignition key and then test each remote. You should get an error tone if you attempt to configure the same one more than once.

I once had a Realtor's office bring a brand new Jaguar sedan to get 6 keys and transmitters, one for everyone in the office.
I told them that the limit was 5 for both keys and remotes.
They we NOT happy.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply, Sir. But it's time to get back to the doc to get my brain checked again, I can see that :[
This much seems clear: I cannot use any remote other than the p/n for my MY / car, except that detailed in the Jag Parts (also, of course, the p/n on the back of my existing fob); no substituting AA, or AB for an AC, even if all of them have the correct FCC number. That said, I have no idea how people are buying remotes that are used on Fords and making them work on assorted Jag MYs.
The procedure for activating the programming mode is clear enough, once one realizes that the method depends on the model year.
'Button' remains unclear because no one seems to define what button on the remote they are referring to. The unqualified 'Press THE button' is obscure: it might mean 1) Any button at all or 2) only the lock button or 3), all four buttons separately? Or are we referring to a console programming button?
I am still struggling with posts that variously seem to suggest that fobs have to be programmed separately, whilst other posts suggest that they can - even MUST - be done together, by pressing the same 'button' on one, and then the other.
I can understand that there are five (max) remotes allowed, and I might wrap my mind around there having been two remotes for my car, and so, presumably, the missing remote might be occupying a 'slot' in memory, and that I might have to start over afresh, to get the remotes fitted into 'slots' 1 and 2.
Still rather unclear at the moment is the "if you have two fobs, program the first and then program the second fob four times". OK, that adds up to 5, so ... are you saying that the system won't be happy unless all five 'slots' are filled? In other words, if I had three remotes the first would be programmed once, the second twice, and the third three times? Does programming something more than once mean repeating the whole headlight flasher 'enabling' routine a number of times?
I still have time to cancel that doctor's visit

Old 09-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Timpsons will cut and program a new key for you.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:01 PM

I have been unable to configure a keyfob transmitter to a car a few times in my career so I just used the Jaguar PDU/WDS/IDS to 'CLEAR ALL KEYFOB TRANSMITTERS'.

I never really pondered the exact reason or tried to find the answer if the slots were permanent or 'rewritable'.
Should have asked about the intricacies of the remote keyfob operation and differences between models when I attended Jaguar training but there were more important things to worry about.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

AtlastaJag1,

What'a name!.....The way I solved the Key problem on my 2005 XKR was to gather up 3 extra Keys to go with my Valet Key..then I gathered up 3 more Clickers and then called one of those Guys that run around in the a Truck They come to you!.....These Guys cut Keys, Program them and then they can Program your little Clickers all at the same time and it only cost you from $350.00 to $500.00 Bucks....These Guys are like Robbers but when they leave your House.......Every Key works and Every Clicker works and you don't have any more Key problems ! That's what I did.......Haven't had a Key problem since......I even took one of my ignition Keys and made a Flip-Key out of it! Had to tear the Key apart and get the little Transmitter out of the Key Head but after I finished doing it...I've gotta Flip Key like those Guys in the 4 Door Jags....I love it!
I carry the Valet Key in my Ash Tray with a little key chain, so that I always have it handy and when I need it, I just pull my Flip Key out of the Ignition, lock the Glovebox and stick the Valet Key in the ignition, push the Valet button. and off I go....One less thing to worry about!..

Billy Clyde at Cinco Ranch

Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 AM

Thanks all! Just to be clear, although I think the switch-blade (flick-knife) key is a worthy upgrade (especially as I have had to rig my key with a valet stand-off arrangement to keep things off my knee), my need at present is to get another fob.
I seem to have (note the lack of certainty) discovered that p/n LJE2610xx (FCC CWTWB1U322) progressed as follows:
xx=AA larger growler and horn alarm button, ended at VIN A11050
xx=AB smaller growler and low beam headlight symbol, from VIN A11051 to VIN A30644
xx=AC replaced AB. My VIN is is in the 4,000s
What is not yet clear is whether AB is at all compatible with AC.
There were letter codes involving Bx too, but I have no knowledge of their vintage or MYs.
There are loads of cheap (and mostly very worn and dirty) AAs and ABs out there, but ACs seem to be rarere than gold fillings in hens teeth UNLESS one wants to pay over well over $100, which I don't.
I believe that earlier XK8s had a completely different programming procedure than the later years, and I have read all manner of witchcraft-like methods, such as opening / closing trunks, doors, and windows. I can't remember whether this all had to be done facing the rising sun. As to 'slots' and the procedure for programming up to 5 fobs (max) I will buy an xx=AC if one ever comes across my radar, but I won't be subjecting my one working fob to reprogramming, until I am certain of success. Driving 100 miles to a dealer, clutching the house mortgage isn't my idea of success
Regardless: I think a single sticky procedure ought to be achievable; one that states everything one needs to know about both fobs, and keys, and their programming. It could have images and details; perhaps even sources. Perhaps all that knowledge exists in the forums now, but after days of picking through a variety of threads, it would be hard to create a reliable definitive document that would cover all XK8s, never mind the other models and years. If such a sticky exists, then I am prepared for a verbal flogging:[
If anyone wants to comment on the above, I would greatly appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 11:42 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Just file down the useless valet key with a hand file. Like most hand jobs it takes about 10 minutes, very soft metal.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:07 AM

Jagophile: Thanks, but I am not looking for input regarding the manufacture of keys, but only how to obtain and program an LGE2610-AC fob. Your information doesn't address the issue. Besides, I don't even have a valet key, with or without decorations.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:10 AM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by sknight751
When bought my used 2006 XKR I only got one green key (i think it is a valet key) and a fob. I want to get a correct main key so I have a second. Other than the dealer, does anyone have a diffferent source for the key? The dealer wants about $400 for the key/programming, etc.
Thanks Steve
Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
Jagophile: Thanks, but I am not looking for input regarding the manufacture of keys, but only how to obtain and program an LGE2610-AC fob. Your information doesn't address the issue. Besides, I don't even have a valet key, with or without decorations.
Atlas, my apologies for answering Steve who posted the original question. We are sorry to hear this information does not address your issue.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts

...As to 'slots' and the procedure for programming up to 5 fobs (max) I will buy an xx=AC if one ever comes across my radar, but I won't be subjecting my one working fob to reprogramming, until I am certain of success. Driving 100 miles to a dealer, clutching the house mortgage isn't my idea of success
Regardless: I think a single sticky procedure ought to be achievable; one that states everything one needs to know about both fobs, and keys, and their programming. It could have images and details; perhaps even sources. Perhaps all that knowledge exists in the forums now, but after days of picking through a variety of threads, it would be hard to create a reliable definitive document that would cover all XK8s, never mind the other models and years. If such a sticky exists, then I am prepared for a verbal flogging:[
If anyone wants to comment on the above, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm not into flogging (very loud and messy), but a procedure that worked for me and is purported to work for you is (all 1996-2006 XK8/Rs in one document)

https://www.autoreservejaguar.com/ne...xkr-1996-2006/

Just curious about your reticence to 'test reprogramming' with your one fob. How does the situation improve by adding 1-4 new (or 'new to you') fobs? It doesn't seem you have improved your chances of success by adding fobs unless the current one doesn't work.

Data point: my overall observed success in reprogramming fobs for 3 cars was 100%. I don't think I've seen anything around when I was looking for the first time that contradicts that general trend except for Bob's comment above. In that circumstance, you appear to be in trouble anyway.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:35 AM

Many thanks for the helpful link, Dale! My reluctance to risk disabling the one working fob I have, whilst trying to create a backup fob is reasonable enough, when the procedures are less than well defined, or convincing.
Over time, I have read all manner of sequences purported to work on XK8s, including shutting and locking doors and even opening and shutting trunks. One 'wag' suggested turning around three times and then facing east while doing the work. There is a litany of unsuccessful attempts.
People have vaguely described "pushing the button" (which button, where? Is this a button on the car, or on the fob? ) or even "pushing buttons" (I might assume that this means pushing all four fob buttons, probably one after another, but is button selection random or in sequence?)
Even if I find a xxAC fob, under such circumstances, it seemed risky to, well, risk my one working fob whilst trying to reprogram a backup unit. Now, if a 100% reliable method is well documented... that's a different story. Hence I much appreciate the link.
But even the instructions at your link site get a bit obscure after 5 crystal clear statements:6. Program each transmittor (sic) up to FIVE fobs can be programmed) by pressing any button on the fob. You will hear a “Beep” AND/OR see the red light on the Gear Selector with each press of a button. (Bold type is mine.)

[Fair enough, but you can see why this could be interpreted as needing to press all four fob buttons.]

7. The car must “Beep” or red light flash five times to complete programming. Therefore, if you are only programming one transmitter you should operate the transmitter 5 times.

[OK, Understood, light dawns, and confidence is growing: For one fob, one button-push of that single fob 5 times in total, separated each time by the beep / red light confirmation.]

If you are programming two transmitters you will operate one transmitter twice, and three times on the other.
[Confidence goes off the rails, down the embankment and bursts into flames! Twice and thrice? Why not any combination that adds up to five?
More logically, wouldn't it be: program fob #1 once, followed by fob #2 with four repeats? That would be in harmony with the procedure for just one fob, and would fill all five slots. By extension, if there were three fobs, I would expect to program two, and then to program the third one three times.
Not to beat this to death, but if the procedure started out by stating that provision is made for five separate fobs, and that the system won't be satisfied unless all five are 'seen', virtually or physically. Should there be less physical fobs, the virtual "slot(s)" MUST be filled by repeating the programming of one or more, in order to create the illusion of five fobs. Furthermore, all of them (physical or virtual) must be programmed during the same session.
(The distribution of multiple programmings actually may not matter, as long as there appear to be five, but who knows?)
So, now all I have to do is find an affordable xxAC fob!
Thanks again for your input!

The following users liked this post:
kaapuni (06-25-2023)
Old 09-18-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 924 Likes on 455 Posts

..If you are programming two transmitters you will operate one transmitter twice, and three times on the other.
[Confidence goes off the rails, down the embankment and bursts into flames! Twice and thrice? Why not any combination that adds up to five?..
Any combination of 5 appears to be fine, doesn't seem to matter. I've tried this to a certain extent (I believe 1/4 vs 2/3 were what I tried). That makes sense to me.

I think Bob is implying/stating above that you can let it time out after one or two (or three...) and that will work too. I haven't tried this, but also seems to make sense.

Old 09-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,044 Likes on 840 Posts

If you wanted to couldn't you get around the 5 (key not remote) limit by taping one to the steering column and then buying a billion blanks cut to code? People don't steal these cars anyways, the people who run around with 6-cut Tibbe lockpicks normally steal stuff from the inside of a Transit Connect and not much else anyways.

Last edited by xalty; 09-18-2020 at 12:32 PM.