XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XK8 - some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 03:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XK8 - some questions

As per my previous post, I'm now the delighted owner of a lovely Dark Blue XK8. I'm very pleased with the car.

I've already used this forum to help me sort out problems with the window (it didn't automatically close after the door was shut), and key remotes (they weren't linked up to work when I bought the car), so thanks.

Some other questions which I hope you clever guys can help me with. I'm not a massive car guy but have done things in the past with lights, alarms and the like.

1. Windscreen wipers. These need fixing as they are a bit rubbish. Is it possible to buy just the blades, or should I buy whole arms. Any suggestions for suppliers for either or both.
2. Headlights. These seem quite dim, can I replace the bulbs and again any good suppliers. Is it easy to put in high power ones, and what about Zenon bulbs or whatever the new type are.
3. Daylight running lights. I'd like to put some of these on the car as a) I think they are good for safety and b) they look nice. I was thinking about attaching some under the silver bar on the bumper. Any thoughts or experience on this and any good suppliers, or is an Ebay job?
4. High Level Break Light - Any good ideas for these please? I'd like one of these also.

Sorry to pick your brains like this, I have looked through the boards and found some examples but you can never tell how up to date they are.
Some questions, which I wonder if I can pick peoples brains on.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Answers to your questions

As per my previous post, I'm now the delighted owner of a lovely Dark Blue XK8. I'm very pleased with the car.

I've already used this forum to help me sort out problems with the window (it didn't automatically close after the door was shut), and key remotes (they weren't linked up to work when I bought the car), so thanks.

Some other questions which I hope you clever guys can help me with. I'm not a massive car guy but have done things in the past with lights, alarms and the like.

1. Windscreen wipers. These need fixing as they are a bit rubbish. Is it possible to buy just the blades, or should I buy whole arms. Any suggestions for suppliers for either or both. You can replace just the wipers
2. Headlights. These seem quite dim, can I replace the bulbs and again any good suppliers. Is it easy to put in high power ones, and what about Zenon bulbs or whatever the new type are. Yes, you can replace just the bulbs. It's a bit tight in there so prepare for some scraped knuckles. Some access is required through the wheel well, there is a door in front of the tire for access.
3. Daylight running lights. I'd like to put some of these on the car as a) I think they are good for safety and b) they look nice. I was thinking about attaching some under the silver bar on the bumper. Any thoughts or experience on this and any good suppliers, or is an Ebay job? You don't have daylight running lights per se. There are two buttons in the middle of the console right below the heater controls. One is for the front fog lights, one is for the rear fog lights (this one keeps tailgaters off your butt). You can also turn your headlight switch fully on and place a small piece of electrical tape on the backside (forward) of the mirror. This will ensure your lights are on every time you start the car.
4. High Level Break Light - Any good ideas for these please? I'd like one of these also.

Sorry to pick your brains like this, I have looked through the boards and found some examples but you can never tell how up to date they are.
Some questions, which I wonder if I can pick peoples brains on.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:50 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
Old 04-03-2015, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Welcome from across the pond! Wishing you many good years from your XK.

It seems like you've done some homework here, but one thing I wanted to bring up was the secondary tensioners. Have they been replaced on your car? If not, that would absolutely be the first thing you should address, given the age and mileage. Plenty of information here on the topic if you're unfamiliar with the issue.

To address your fourth question of a high level brake light, I thought all of our cars had one mounted on the boot lid (convertible) or in the rear window (coupe)? Is your car missing one?

Attached Thumbnails New XK8 - some questions-rear.jpg  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 04-03-2015 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your new Jaguar.
Please update your signature on your forum profile and ADD you year/make, this way when you ask questions we'll know what year car you have, you will notice most people have this and makes replying to questioned more accurate.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

01 Silverstone,

The high-level third brake light may be just a USA requirement. The OP is located in the UK....

Old 04-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
01 Silverstone,

The high-level third brake light may be just a USA requirement. The OP is located in the UK....
Jon, yes I was aware that he's located in the UK. I did a Google image search for UK-registered XK8, and every one I found had the third brake light, leading me to believe they were standard on UK spec cars too. Perhaps a UK member can comment on this with certainty?

Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Silverstone
.......... Perhaps a UK member can comment on this with certainty?
Like others, I've never seen an XK8 without one.

However, my UK spec early 1996 X300 was one of the last NOT to have a third brake light. Late 1996 (presumably 1997MY) X300's do have an OE third brake light.

Jaguar must have introduced them as standard across the model range on 1997MY for UK spec.

Graham