XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger mirror dip on reverse inop after door module replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Passenger mirror dip on reverse inop after door module replacement

I've just replaced the passenger-side door control module with a second-hand one bought off eBay for $50 with shipping. Now the window up/down and mirror controls are back and the error message "PASSENGERS DOOR OPEN" is no longer displayed when the door is closed, and locking/unlocking the door by the remote is back to normal. Petrol/gas refill hatch-release button works again.

However, the mirror dip when shifting into reverse has not been restored. Is there some reset procedure which must be executed to re-sync the mirror reverse dip, similar to resetting the window drop distance upon door latch pull? If I dip the mirror manually, it cannot be restored to its preset position by pressing either of the memory buttons. Is the mirror dip function actually controlled by another module? TIA.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Mr. Pristine in Kowloon,...First the Mirror Drop is not automatic.....You have to pull the knob back after you put the Car in reverse.......At least that 's the way it works over here in Texas! You don't have to hold it back ...just pull it back! Now! that is if you bought the right switch.......Hope you did!

Billy Clyde in Houston

The following 2 users liked this post by bcprice36:
Johnken (08-21-2017), Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 03:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
I've just replaced the passenger-side door control module with a second-hand one bought off eBay ......
The Door Module is a programmed unit. The unprogrammed module is the same for both driver and passenger doors (LJA2120AJ) and there's no way to tell by inspection if the one you sourced has been from a passenger door.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Hi Billy,

Thank you for your reply. You certainly described exactly how to execute the Mirror Drop, and I've been doing that for the last 4-1/2 years since owning her.

After replacing the faulty Passenger Door Control Module with a second-hand one, after engaging reverse and flipping the rocker switch over to the passenger-side, tucking the joystick once would not get the mirror to drop, period; instead the mirror is aimed downwards slightly, behaving similar to the situation when reverse has not been engaged. Please see my reply to GGG on this thread for a possible solution...

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Mr. Pristine in Kowloon,...First the Mirror Drop is not automatic.....You have to pull the knob back after you put the Car in reverse.......At least that 's the way it works over here in Texas! You don't have to hold it back ...just pull it back! Now! that is if you bought the right switch.......Hope you did!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Hello GGG,

Thank you for your reply. How do you programme a Door Control Module to act as the Drivers Side or the Passengers Side? My original modules and the replacement all bear the same part number LJA2120AG. If the module on both sides bear the same serial number, they should work either side without additional re-programming.

Let me give the full story from the very beginning. Initially I got the DRIVERS DOOR OPEN warning message (when the door is actually closed) which left my driver-side window inop and numerous other faults including door locking by remote. In order to precisely diagnose/pinpoint the fault lies in the Door Control Module on the driver's side, a swap of the modules with the passenger's side was done, and alas the warning message PASSENGERS DOOR OPEN appeared, and I got back control of the drivers window which is more important than passenger's. When the replacement module arrived, it was put on the passenger-side. I believe I got back all the functions except the passenger mirror drop on reverse.

Which brings to my mind a procedure I forgot to carry out after putting the replacement module in her, that is a battery terminal removal FULL RESET which I shall do first thing tomorrow morning.

Wish me luck and stay tuned...

Originally Posted by GGG
The Door Module is a programmed unit. The unprogrammed module is the same for both driver and passenger doors (LJA2120AJ) and there's no way to tell by inspection if the one you sourced has been from a passenger door.

Graham

Old 08-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

Mr. Pristine,

Hope the reset works for you.....I've looked up the switch part numbers here in the USA and they show the switch (#LJA6332AG) fits from VIN 010120...but somewhere along the way it seems to me that not all the switches would dip....but I could be wrong there....Hope I am and the reset does the trick!

Billy Clyde

Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 01:03 PM

I very much regret to inform this forum the reset DOES NOT restore my reverse passenger-side door mirror dip function.

The passenger-side and driver-side door control module bear the same Jaguar part number LJA2120AG without any distinction for either side, implying that both sides are identical.

My question is: Is there any secret trick to designate the door module as the drivers-side or passenger-side after the module(s) has been replaced?

I can swap out my current drivers-side module which originally came from the passengers-side, but that would entail tearing out the door panels again on both sides in order to reach and swap the modules; and I'm really reluctant to rip both door panels apart again... There must be a less painful way to get my passengers-mirror dip on reverse again??? Please help!!!

Mr. Pristine,

Hope the reset works for you.....I've looked up the switch part numbers here in the USA and they show the switch (#LJA6332AG) fits from VIN 010120...but somewhere along the way it seems to me that not all the switches would dip....but I could be wrong there....Hope I am and the reset does the trick!

Billy Clyde

Old 08-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Smile Mirror Dipper.....

Mr. Pristine the Mirror Man!

Your Part #LJA2120AG has been superseded by LJA6332AG (Called a Switch pack)
SNG Barratt UK has some for, I assume Rt. hand drive for: 86.24lbs including VAT.....Whatever that is! They don't say anything about it Dipping or not! Anyway, that would be a good place to start! Guess I'm about done here!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-25-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

You need to configure modules with the DEALER OPTIONS setup.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ControlModuleProgramming.pdf (857.3 KB, 72 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
B o B (08-25-2017), Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 AM

Hi Motorcarman,

On the second page of your attachment, I can see for the X100 an "X" checked for the Passengers mirror dip in reverse enable.

Can you further enlighten me how to proceed to do the programming? ? ?

Originally Posted by motorcarman
You need to configure modules with the DEALER OPTIONS setup.

bob

Old 08-25-2017, 01:48 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

The way I do it is to use WDS/IDS to communicate with the car. I go to SETUP and CONFIGURATION, DEALER OPTIONS and load the list.

I can then choose each item listed as ENABLE or DISABLE.

Hit the Configure 'tick' and then close the session.

bob

Old 08-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Mr. Pristine the Mirror Man!

Your Part #LJA2120AG has been superseded by LJA6332AG (Called a Switch pack)
SNG Barratt UK has some for, I assume Rt. hand drive for: 86.24lbs including VAT.....Whatever that is! They don't say anything about it Dipping or not! Anyway, that would be a good place to start! Guess I'm about done here!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Billy, it's not the switch that's been changed bur the module.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Received 6,250 Likes on 5,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Pristine97XK8Convertible
Hi Motorcarman,

On the second page of your attachment, I can see for the X100 an "X" checked for the Passengers mirror dip in reverse enable.

Can you further enlighten me how to proceed to do the programming? ? ?
You need to go to the dealer or find someone that has the dealer level equipment to do the programing for you.

Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-26-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Red face Whoops!

Originally Posted by Norri
Billy, it's not the switch that's been changed bur the module.
Norri,

As I said, "Guess I'm about done here!"

Thanks!

Billy Clyde