XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to re-cover sun visors to a new color?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Possible to re-cover sun visors to a new color?

Hello guys,

I'll soon be replacing the fabric on my headliner (coupe) and A-pillars. I've got a coffee interior, and don't like the grey factory headliner with the coffee. A camel (or similar) passion suede would be much nicer, I think.

The factory sun visors are also grey, of course. What are my options for recovering the sun visors so that they match the new headliner fabric?

Thanks for your ideas!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 191 Likes on 134 Posts

I have the same question, thanks for asking.

I did worry about this more when I first did the overhead console and a-pillare recover and saw the stark difference, but over time, it doesn't bother me as much.

This is what i have been thinking....I looked at my visors and I think the seams are glued/heat sealed, so, if one were to cut new fabric the exact size and shape and then use fabric glue to mate the pieces together. Don't forget to do this inside out then turn outside in once dry, the slip this over the old. The only real issue I see is sealing up the open end, which can be glued overlap on the edge then razor blade cut the excess. The fabric is the same as the headliner or a-pillar fabric

Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Same issue here.
I'm looking at black ultra suede but I've got grey visors now. I'm wondering about the fabric spray. I rarely use them so I doubt they'd get much wear.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Take the covers or the whole visor off, take it into a dry cleaner that does alterations or an upholstery shop and it will take them no time at all to sew your new covers. Of course, you can glue them, but real stitching will look much richer.

The following users liked this post:
The Coupe (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

I found this company in Georgia...they'll recover sunvisors with their fabric OR the customer's fabric. Gave them a call to confirm, and they can re-cover visors with passion suede, no problem.

Have a look:

WLS Headliners : Sunvisors

The following users liked this post:
H20boy (06-19-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

The PO had the headliner done in a tan (almost mocha) alcantara (rest of interior - black). It looks great, but the installing yahoo's didn't even try to address the grey visors. Instead they just "CUT" the wires and left the headliner smooth. Of course, without the visor mounts installed, the headliner wants to sag in the middle every once in a while.

I have the visors (and the mounts thank God), and I've been considering just hitting them with a vinyl spray paint that's close in color. There's really nothing to lose - if it doesn't work I can always forward them to WSL (GOOD find). As asked before, has anyone ever tried painting?

BTW: My rear seat interior light (coupe) doesn't work. The idiots may have cut those wires as well. I'm not sure how to get the light fixture out to check the bulb, and I hate forcing things. Do I just pull on it until it drops free?

As always - THANKS!

Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scardini1
BTW: My rear seat interior light (coupe) doesn't work. The idiots may have cut those wires as well. I'm not sure how to get the light fixture out to check the bulb, and I hate forcing things. Do I just pull on it until it drops free?

Scardini-

I've attached a PDF of the rear lamp removal from JTIS. Looks pretty simple.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Yup. Just yank the damn thing out.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Back to visors please.

Thanks "Coupe"!!!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:28 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Good find coupe, i've been lloking for a replacement since i heard recovering them was difficult and expensive. Not the case, it appears.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I've ordered a couple cans of fabric spray paint. It's supposed to cover anything from fabric to carpets. If the weather is nice this weekend, I'm going to try my headliner and visors. I bought a piece of similar colored headliner I was going to use on a pillars, but I'm testing spray on it.
My headliner in my convert is so bad from the foam lining failing, it's either paint or replace. So why not try paint first?? (Why does jaguar headliner fail with the damn foam lining more than any other car I've seen?? Almost EVERY jaguar I've ever had had this problem!)
My only issue with visors is the fabric has pulled around the mirrors so even painted they won't be perfect. Maybe if all else goes well, I'll have them covered in black.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

The only thing that bugs me is that there isn't any black plastic for the overhead bits available.

Rit dye might work, but I wouldn't paint/krylon them. Maybe Cerakote would work too...

Hmmm....

Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

I never heard of cerakote before so I looked it up. Sounds like some great stuff for the right application. I don't think our visors would appreciate the 300+ curing temperature though. A decent vinyl paint just might give us some options. Not just plain old Krylon though - we agree on that.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts
Default WLS sunvisor recovering

I have spoken with WLS headliners about recovering my Jaguar XKR sunvisors on 2 different occasions, even sent pictures and they said they cannot do this type of visor.

If anyone gets a different reply from them, please let me know and I would like to try again.

I am ready to just remove the sunvisors altogether (put them next to the windshield wipers), would look nicer for sure! But sometimes need them in Arizona!

Thanks and

Happy Motoring...

Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vettegood
I have spoken with WLS headliners about recovering my Jaguar XKR sunvisors on 2 different occasions, even sent pictures and they said they cannot do this type of visor.

Vettegood,

Did WLS say what they meant by " this type of sun visor?"

Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Hello, I think (it's been at least a year)I remember them saying they cannot do a welded material visor, they do not have the equipment.
I think they are in your neck of the woods, give them a call and see what they tell you! Please report back.
Kind regards and

Happy Motoring...

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by scardini1
I never heard of cerakote before so I looked it up. Sounds like some great stuff for the right application. I don't think our visors would appreciate the 300+ curing temperature though. A decent vinyl paint just might give us some options. Not just plain old Krylon though - we agree on that.
For metal, you would cure it at 250 degrees. Plastic is done at 170-ish. It would certainly hold up much better than any regular paint.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

I been "visorless" for a year (since I bought the car). Obviously, I've survived, but have been many occasions when I would have liked them. Luckily no woman has reached for the mirror yet, or my hand would have been forced right then!

Old 04-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Old thread, but it touches on my main gripe about the XKR. I love the car, but I don't love looking at the visor instead of the road.

Without the visor the view is OK, but the visor hides the upper inch of windscreen; they do not fold completely out of the way. Even with the seat at the bottom position (and I am only 6 foot) my line of vision is obstructed by the visor.

I suspect this may be why some of you don't have the visors installed? What is it like living without the visors? Any bright heads who have thought of a workaround?

Thanks!
Lars

Last edited by Artigiano; 04-13-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

Just wanted to let you guys know that the visors can indeed be recovered. I had mine done and they look pretty good, The stitching isn't perfect but it looks better than the original drooping lose visors. Just search out a trim shop that will do it. It cost me $85. I live in Southeast Florida.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

I agree with Artigiano the visors do no more for me than block the upper inch or two of the view. While my shorter girlfriend uses the visor, I've never needed it. Frankly I sometimes get tired of scrunching my head down to monitor red traffic lights and just move the visor out of the way, always reacting: Wow what a difference. . . . On the other hand, I'd think "visorless" would look strange. If anyone has tried this please share. Thanks, John