Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Product Release: XKR & XJR Catalyst & Catless Downpipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Product Release: XKR & XJR Catalyst & Catless Downpipes

We’re proud to offer our factory fit performance downpipes for the Jaguar XKR/XK8 and XJR/XJ8 Supercharged/Naturally Aspirated V8 Coupe and Sedan. Configurable with 200 or 400 cell catalytic converter or full-race catless design for your days out at the track, these superior quality components also feature a reasonable price tag at $479/set for catless and 749/set for the catalyst version.

Applications:
Jaguar XK8 & XKR: 1997-2006
Jaguar XJ8 & XJR: 1998-2003

Features:
CNC Mandrel Bent T304 Stainless Tubing w/ Optional Brushed Finish
CNC Laser Cut 3/8" Thick T304 Stainless Plate Flanges
CNC Machined T304 Oxygen Sensor Fittings
Stainless Factory Location Gusset Brackets
All welds TIG Welded with 308L welding rod for optimal strength, color and longevity.

Configurations:
Track Pipe: Releasing shortly after our first run of catalyst downpipes, this option is a non catalyst design for track days only. Consult with local authorities before installing on street driven vehicle. This configuration removes both catalytic converters for off-road use only.

200 Cell Catalyst: Featuring a spun metallic honeycomb design to prevent fatigue cracking seen in ceramic units, these cats flow massive amounts compared to the factory design and still do a fine job at meeting emissions standards and avoiding check engine lights. Unlike factory catalysts, these do not use expanded vermiculite packing material that can be blown out by the high exhaust gas temperatures of the Supercharged XKR/XJR engine.

400 Cell Catalyst: For a greener option with a slight dropoff in flow from the other options, these are an excellent option for owners who plan on keeping the rest of their drivetrain relatively stock. ($30 Premium Per Set)

Brushed Finish: Optional brushed finish on the tubing rather than stock mill finish. ($40 Premium Per Set)

There will be a group buy here on Jaguar Forums to get our sales started. Details will be included in this thread. Pricing will be up to 20% off with free brushed finish included on all orders.

See full press release in PDF Format Below...

Jason Griffith
Nameless Performance, Inc.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
PR-XKR XJR Downpipes Catalyst.pdf (124.4 KB, 550 views)

Last edited by nameless; 06-03-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Here at Nameless Performance, we are just wrapping up our testing of our Jaguar XKR/XJR catalyst downpipes and we'd like to get a group buy offer going to provide up to 20% discount off of the purchase of a pair of downpipes.

We have wrapped up our testing on the High flow catalyst downpipes and we still have some testing left on our straight through catless track pipe version of the design, but we will be offering up both of these as eligible for the group buy. Discount rates will be a rising rate 2% off per person on the list with a limit of 20% off on either design. We are also including the brushed finish on all of the initial group buy purchases free of charge. With 10 people signing up, this a $189 discount on the catalyst version and $135 on the track pipe version.

The discount is determined based on total number of individuals signed up. So, if 4 people sign up for catalyst versions and 6 sign up for catless track pipes, the catalyst versions will sell for $599 and the catless versions for $383.

Timeframe
The group buy will be open for three weeks and parts will ship one week after the end of the group buy. This will give us some time to get our components in stock as well as to get an idea of the demand so we can order appropriate quantities of components. Catless track pipes may take a little longer as these are still in the testing phase of the process, but we're hurrying to get these tested and validated asap.

No billing will occur until the time of shipment.

Pricing Structure

Let me know if anyone has any questions about the group buy. Our goal is to ship around the 29th of June. Four weeks from today.

Thanks,

Jason Griffith
Nameless Performance, Inc.
sales@namelessperformance.com

Last edited by nameless; 06-04-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Blogs:
New Blog Post Detailing XKR Downpipe Build Process: Exhaust Component Design

Catalyst Prototype Blog Post

Initial Blog Post re: Downpipe Project

Photos:

Video:

Last edited by nameless; 06-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Group buy posted! See above.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Jason,
Nice looking product! I have a 2000 XKR with a set of McLeod X-Pipes I installed. I am thrilled with the look and sound of them, so I don't plan to change them. I do like to upgrade my Jag when there are real benefits to be found. Not being a experienced mechanic of any note, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. What specific benefits would I get from installing either your 200 Cell or your 400 Cell Catalyst?

2. Is the original Catalyst something that will probably need to be replaced at some time anyway?

3. Will I experience any new problems from my Jag by integrating this new part?

4. Anything else that I should know when considering this new addition?

Thank you so much in advance, and I apologize for my mechanical ignorance.
Regards,
Brian

The following users liked this post:
dannyS (02-23-2013)
Old 06-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

The pipe diameter is 2.5" correct?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SteveM
The pipe diameter is 2.5" correct?
Correct. 2.5" OD Mandrel Bent Stainless Tubing.

Jason

Old 06-02-2010, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Brian2000XKR
Hi Jason,
Nice looking product! I have a 2000 XKR with a set of McLeod X-Pipes I installed. I am thrilled with the look and sound of them, so I don't plan to change them.
Hi Brian,

Our test car also had an X pipe setup and we were really pleased with the outcome...

1. What specific benefits would I get from installing either your 200 Cell or your 400 Cell Catalyst?
The main benefits are a massive uncorking of flow right at the start of the exhaust. From our experience, your exhaust system is only going to be as beneficial as the most restricted element in the design. For the XKR and XJR those are the main suitcase muffler and these catalyst downpipes. As you can see from the photos in our blog, the factory setup has a very aggressive outlet design, turning 90 degrees out of the flow of exhaust. Our design, being a mandrel bent solution and using a shorter bullet style high flow catalyst allows us to have a more smooth transition into and out of the catalyst housing.

Other benefits from this improved flow are thermal mass management - allowing the extractors and exhaust to get the hot exhaust out of the system faster with less heat soak in the area around the engine block. Remember that the factory catalysts are cast iron, and equivalent to a giant heat sink. Supercharged cars tend to produce fairly high exhaust gas temperatures, and any methods of improving that flow help to dissipate the heat more uniformly and not so concentrated in the engine bay.

And of course, more flow results in increased performance, especially when combined with a free flowing exhaust system. And the sound is pretty intoxicating too ;-)

Finally, the construction methods and materials we are using were chosen for their longevity and resistance to corrosion. The catalysts also come with a full warranty from the factory against defects in workmanship or any other internal factors contributing to premature failure.

2. Is the original Catalyst something that will probably need to be replaced at some time anyway?
Sure. Without a doubt. While I'm not sure what the group experience is with the service interval, I just called my local Jaguar dealer and found that a pair of the factory XKR downpipes will run you $2900. $1450 each. The only other item out on the market is a mig welded, crush bent 400 cell catalyst similar to ours but in mild steel and it runs $375 each.

Speaking to the failure rate and failure modes of catalytic converters, often times they just soot up and still work fine (for reducing emissions) due to the fact that they use a massive ceramic catalyst, but they flow less and less as time goes on. Often when putting factory replacement catalysts on a vehicle I've experienced major power gains just old stock catalyst to new stock catalyst...

3. Will I experience any new problems from my Jag by integrating this new part?
No. This is a factory replacement part, works with all factory parts associated with it, all of the heat shields fit perfectly still and wiring harnesses are routed the same, etc. With the appropriate installation, it should behave as stock other than the performance and sound attributes of the design. This of course may not be true for the straight track pipes, depending on how reasonable the ecu behaves without a catalyst in place.

4. Anything else that I should know when considering this new addition?
I think I've covered most of the points in my answers above, but if I think of anything additional to consider, I'll post it up here. I suppose the only real question is 200 cell vs. 400 cell. And your decision should be based on whether you want higher performance gains. I'd suggest the 200 cell to every customer unless this is truly just a purchase for replacing the catalyst on a bone-stock car. Even then, I'd probably still suggest it. We made the offer because some countries in Europe require any catalyst replaced on a car to be 400 cell.

Thank you so much in advance, and I apologize for my mechanical ignorance.
No worries! I enjoy talking about our products with potential customers. Any further questions you've got, feel free to ask.

Jason

Last edited by nameless; 06-03-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Missed a /quote !
The following users liked this post:
dannyS (02-23-2013)
Old 06-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

By the way, the years and models these will fit are:
97-06 XKR XK8
98-03 XJR XJ8
Although some years/models had slip fit connections between cats and the rest of the exhaust and not flanges.

I noticed in the PDF brochure the years were not all correct.

Last edited by SteveM; 06-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the update Steve, we wanted to be as cautious as possible on that.

Jason

Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

The track pipes will throw codes p0420, p0430 for cat inefficiency (since theyre not there) now if those bungs on the down stream were extended out say 1"? Or so...you might place the downsteam sensor out of the exhuast stream enough to fake it into thinking the exhaust is being cleaned and avoid codes... This has been an old trick for years when using track pipes, but using a "oil fouler" which extends spark plugs out of the chamber to keep high oil consuming engines from fouling a plug. same principle

Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
The track pipes will throw codes p0420, p0430 for cat inefficiency (since theyre not there) now if those bungs on the down stream were extended out say 1"? Or so...you might place the downsteam sensor out of the exhuast stream enough to fake it into thinking the exhaust is being cleaned and avoid codes... This has been an old trick for years when using track pipes, but using a "oil fouler" which extends spark plugs out of the chamber to keep high oil consuming engines from fouling a plug. same principle
Yeah that was our plan, either to use a j-pipe style extender or just a screw in non-fouler. We were considering using the jettable kind to start with which will allow some adjustment.

Both John (our Manufacturing Director) and I have worked on a number of catless designs in the past and we've seen a variety of successes and failures depending on the design and the sensitivity of the ECU. Generally speaking, later model vehicles are more sensitive and have more complex algorithms to compare the two sensors under various load conditions. Some of the 2010 cars we've worked with even monitor heating efficiency of the catalyst and that can also complicate things as pulling the secondary O2 sensor out of the path of exhaust also has a tendency to register lower temperatures.

Jason

Old 06-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Hi Jason,
Thank you very much for answering all my questions, I truly appreciate it! I am going to do some research and learn a bit more on the subject. That being said, I am very interested in these!

I do have one other question regarding size. My McLeod X-Pipes I were produced just before Bill made the final tweaks, and my pipes are 2 1/4". How would you suggest they be best mated to your CC?
Thanks,
Brian

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Assuming your x-pipe mates to the factory units, they will bolt right up. You would want to use our gasket to ensure that the sealing ring seats to the rear flanges on our downpipe.

Thanks,

Jason

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Thanks Jason!
Brian

Old 06-03-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Jason,

I've been following your development of the downpipes on the forum. I am very interested in a 200 cell set, but like a lot of other people may be out there, I am curious to see where the total ends up. $600 is pretty much a the top end/max that I can spend on something like this because I plan to mate it to an exhaust also. $$ Any idea/estimate of HP gains either coupled with a high flow exhaust, or without one for a baseline?
Also, I see your test car had the mina exhaust (I think it was theirs), did putting your downpipe change the sound?

Thanks,
Nick

Old 06-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Hi Jason,
I looked at your site, but I didn't find the Dyno test results. Would you please direct me to them? Thanks.

Also, are you sure that this is the final version of this product, no more tweaking needed?

Regards,
Brian

Old 06-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jnporcello
Hi Jason,

I've been following your development of the downpipes on the forum. I am very interested in a 200 cell set, but like a lot of other people may be out there, I am curious to see where the total ends up. $600 is pretty much a the top end/max that I can spend on something like this because I plan to mate it to an exhaust also. $$ Any idea/estimate of HP gains either coupled with a high flow exhaust, or without one for a baseline?
Also, I see your test car had the mina exhaust (I think it was theirs), did putting your downpipe change the sound?
Our test car did not have a mina exhaust, it was a custom 2.25" magnaflow exhaust w/ x-pipe and magnaflow mufflers. The exhaust note deepened a bit, but nothing drastic with swapping to 200 cell cats.

I updated the second post in this thread (we just did a comprehensive update on our wesbite and the link died for our pricing structure). If 10 people sign up for the group buy, the 200 cell high flow cats will be selling for $599 per set. I'm pretty confident that we can get 10 people signed up.

As for horsepower gains, we're confident that it makes a healthy gain in flow and power on cars with decently free flowing exhuast, perhaps a little less of a gain on cars with a restrictive factory exhaust. We did one run of dyno testing which identified 2 other issues with our test car (fuel pressure regulator, air leaks) and it made about 3hp while dumping way too much fuel. Baseline was 12.5:1 Air Fuel Ratio and the modified was 10:1 (about 6 months later). The owner of our test car is still getting those issues resolved, but at such a drastic enrichment of the fuel and still making power, we're confident that these will make good power and are willing to offer any of our customers $100 back if they do before/after dynos to provide us with additional data.

The design on the catalyst units is complete, although our goal with all of our products is constant improvement, so i can't say that we won't make revisions or lock the design down forever. But as far as we are concerned, the design is complete. The test pipe design still needs to be put on a car for testing but we're working with a board member here to get him a set early (prior to the end of the group buy) and pay for the dyno time on his local dyno.

Jason

Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Dyno tests would be needed for me to buy in. with stock exaust, and the 200 cell and also with the xpipe and 2000 cell in comparison to a stock car. We all wouldnt mind some additional hp. Oh as for me on the supercharged car.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 759 Posts

@Jason
Not sure what car this was for, but was it an XKR? For these ones 12.5 is not a normal AFR, certainly not for the 4.0 cars (AJ26 and AJ27), all I can guess here is that when you tested the car that very recently before the Battery was disconnected, so all fuel trim results were wiped?

Most of the time you would see 11 or lower AFR, especially if one ups the boost by having the supercharger spin faster. I can’t remember the value for the 4.2 iirc they are a bit leaner stock then the 4.0 cars.

So best test would be if the car has adjusted its fuel trims, then do a dyno of the original catalyst, and afterwards do the same. Resetting the fuel trims for old and new could also be an option; however as the leaner mixture then normal could have an effect on the results again. Also make sure that the conditions are very similar, ie tire pressure (intercooler) temps etc etc.

I have had a x-pipe under my car, but as it was too loud and drony, I have put back on my original exhaust and have now a sports catalysts from Larini (iirc 200 cell). This gives me a much better sound, slightly deeper and louder, so guess with a bigger exhaust the combo could be much louder, maybe someone that has this combo could verify this?

Am not sure how much extra improvement top end you get. At least the bigger exhaust I had earlier didn’t really give me more in combination with the stock catalyst, and the difference in dyno results would fall in the error margin. You do hear that you could lose a bit midrange, as the camshaft takes the stock exhaust flow into consideration, but as I have no dynos to compare from I am not sure.

Will also look forward to the dyno tests, but I can already highly recommend a sports catalyst (based on my experience now with the Larini ones) in combination with a stock exhaust regarding sound, and $599 sounds reasonable.

Quick Reply: Product Release: XKR & XJR Catalyst & Catless Downpipes