XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear window adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Another data point: When I first bought my '01 (in '06) there was a problem getting the left rear to seal against the left door window. Think front-to-back misalignment, rather than inboard-outboard. Specifically, there was a gap near the top of the windows, as though the rear needed to rotate further forward. There were other reports of this on the forums, most all of them dealing with the left side (or so it seemed; didn't count 'em).

I went through the litany of adjustments, first on the door window, then on the rear. This did squeeze out some improvement, but never got me past having to tug on the rear window to get a good seal, pulling it forward after it is first closed (i.e. when the top is raised). The right side has no such problem.

How come? I don't know why this is true but I noticed by eyeball, and confirmed by measurement, that the left rear window cannot be brought as far forward ... i.e. to the same angle to vertical ... as the right rear, no matter what is done to the adjusters back there. It's as though there is some flaw in a left-side component that prevents the window from going where it should.

So on my car at least, it became clear that there was no complete fix to be had through the window adjusters. Not without trying to modify something.

By now, tugging on that window has become second nature. I can live with it.

FWIW.

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-01-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced my drivers side rear regulator on my 2003 XKR. I used instructions from this forum which modified JTIS, instead of removing the top, remove the onside top hinge bolts and use a pry bar to move the top's hinge for access to the regulator. Several hours to remove since my window was stuck down andI had to cut the cable to raise window for removal. Installation is very tight and had to use large hammer on binding spot inside the window well. One wack and the assembly dropped in. I used the JTIS adjustment procedure and reassembled everything. Unfortunately the window was a little low and I had dislodged the ram so the top's corner would stick up, had to go back in and adjust the ram's anchor point. Also had to adjust the regulators top limiter which is not mentioned in JTIS, you need to remove the inner/outer seal carrier to gain access.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Alignment Progress Report

Wow! Was not expecting to see so much movement in correcting the issue from adjusting the front window screws but why should I have doubted the members of this forum ;-). That's the good news (that the window is now capable of sealing). Bad news? I still am forced to pull the rear window forward to get it to seal but I will count my blessings and live with pulling the window for now . . . until it ticks me off enough and there is enough sun out to want to work on pulling the back seat out .

Pics of gap and reduction yet to come.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Re-Alignment Results

Well the results are in and I have to say WhiteXKR was right in that the seal I am able to achieve after adjusting the front window is markedly improved. This has significantly reduced the wind noise and, given how easy it was, I can live with pulling the rear window for now. Maybe a project for next winter is to take out the rear seat and adjust the rear ones as well. Here's a few pics (as promised) showing how much the window moved. Thanks again all.

Attached Thumbnails Rear window adjustment-pre-alignment.jpg   Rear window adjustment-post-alignment.jpg  
Old 08-05-2012, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Still struggling a bit with trying to remove a gap between the passenger's side main window and quarter window. From comparing each side of the car it looks to me like the quarter window on the passenger side is not as forward the front of the car as on the drivers' side (by comparing the front edge of the quarter window with the waste strip or whatever you call it.

My question is whether or not you can access ANY of the quarter window adjusting bolts by just removing the upper casing trim piece (rather than removing the seats and quarter panel trim). Anybody have luck accessing and adjusting the quarter window without spending half a day?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
Another data point: When I first bought my '01 (in '06) there was a problem getting the left rear to seal against the left door window. Think front-to-back misalignment, rather than inboard-outboard. Specifically, there was a gap near the top of the windows, as though the rear needed to rotate further forward. There were other reports of this on the forums, most all of them dealing with the left side (or so it seemed; didn't count 'em).

I went through the litany of adjustments, first on the door window, then on the rear. This did squeeze out some improvement, but never got me past having to tug on the rear window to get a good seal, pulling it forward after it is first closed (i.e. when the top is raised). The right side has no such problem.

How come? I don't know why this is true but I noticed by eyeball, and confirmed by measurement, that the left rear window cannot be brought as far forward ... i.e. to the same angle to vertical ... as the right rear, no matter what is done to the adjusters back there. It's as though there is some flaw in a left-side component that prevents the window from going where it should.

So on my car at least, it became clear that there was no complete fix to be had through the window adjusters. Not without trying to modify something.

By now, tugging on that window has become second nature. I can live with it.

FWIW.
Dennis--when you are talking about "left" rear and "right" rear, what is your reference? Is is when sitting in the car (then left is driver side) or standing in front and looking at the car (then left is passenger)?

With my car it seems that the passenger side quarter window is not positioned as far frontwards as the driver's side. Measuring from the edge of the convertible top canvass to the front of the quarter window is about 13.5" on the driver's side but maybe about 13" on the passenger side (if I get the chance I will try and take pics).

I believe there is one adjusting bolt for adjusting front-to-back and it would be great if there was some easy way to get to it without having to remove rear seats and quarter panel casing. The next time I (or someone else) removes the top casing piece it would be nice to see if there is any way of getting to that bolt.

Doug