XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repeated Failure of the Fuel Pulse Damper

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Repeated Failure of the Fuel Pulse Damper

I ran into a gent last evening that was quizzing me as to why his fuel rail pulse damper continues to fail. It seems his mechanic has replaced this item four times, and yet the new parts invariably will fail once again. I suspect that the fuel pump control module is allowing the pump to operate at maximum pressure at all times, possibly asking too much of the damper to control. Looks like I may be helping this man get to the root cause of the problem. Any ideas out there? I found a few threads concerning these dampers, but nothing like this.

Last edited by chopr; 10-28-2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: no vehicle specified, 2003 XK8 (may be XKR, not sure)
Old 10-28-2012, 07:57 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Kevin,

17 views so far and no takers. Time for me to ask a dumb question to get the ball rolling.

For 'fuel rail pulse damper' is he talking about the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Repeated Failure of the Fuel Pulse Damper-2003-fuel-rail-na.jpg

or the FRP (Fuel Rail Pressure) sensor?

Repeated Failure of the Fuel Pulse Damper-2003-fuel-rail-pressure-sensor-na.jpg

These drawings are both the NA engine.

Graham

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm sorry, I didn't see this thread until Sunday evening Oct 25.

Recently, I had quite on ordeal with one of the fuel pulsation dampers on my 2003 XKR. However the "fix" was pretty straight forward - even if it did involve a tremendous amount of work... And set off an apparently mostly un-related electrical problem that defied dozens of ideas and attempts to fix... And then the electrical gremlin up and "cured" itself!!!!!! Ghosts of Conventry

What I'd like to know is what his problem is - exactly. Mine was a slow leak that eventually turned into a bad leak at one of the two dampers (which on my car, looks nothing like the diagram that GGG put forth) Perhaps the Supercharged cars are substantially different. I have attached a picture of the dampers on my '03 XKR.

Anyhow, we need more info - year and model of car and a better description of what the symptoms are.

Attached Thumbnails Repeated Failure of the Fuel Pulse Damper-pulsedampers2003-sc-4.2l.jpg  

Last edited by maxwdg; 10-29-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwdg
.................. Mine was a slow leak that eventually turned into a bad leak at one of the two dampers (which on my car, looks nothing like the diagram that GGG put forth) Perhaps the Supercharged cars are substantially different. I have attached a picture of the dampers on my '03 XKR...................
Yes - the equivalent S/C drawing matches your pic. I didn't include them because we don't yet know MY etc.

Graham

Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maxwdg,
I have got a leaking fuel pulsation damper on my 2005 XK8 and am desperate to fix it. Having checked online and with the dealer, the damper is not available on it's own, only as part of the Fuel Rail assembly (AJ811304) at exorbitant cost(!). Elsewhere on the forum I found a post saying that AJ84080 is the part, but having ordered one, while it is clearly a jaguar fuel pulsation damper, it is not the right size for an XK8!
Please help with any info from your fix.

Last edited by neal.hutchinson; 12-30-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Send it out to injectorrx.com Mine on my 03 the dampeners were leaking. Best fixis to have them CAPPED. I did mine and they cleaned up the injectors also.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

Most all threads here on this say have the dampeners capped, putting in a new o-ring most have found that they start leaking again pretty quickly. I just had mine done and others have by InjectorRx.com. He is good. He got mine on a friday, fixed, and back out the same day for 250 bucks. Be careful NOT to bend the crossover fuel line at the front of the rails, that hard rubber had plastic in it, I did not take care of mine thinking it was just a rubber line and cracked the inside plastic, it was only like 10 bucks more for a fuel line replacement and clamps from them. If you can leave the injectors in the rail. They WILL replace all the orings on the injectors, do not reuse old ones. I reused the old one on my regulator (I did not send it with the rail, took it off) and it started leaking right away after I put it on.
They will pressure check everything also. My injector bodies, a few had cracks, he just clued them up.
This is your best solution to the problem, as you found out Jag has no parts, wants the bank for a new rail that is not even avail.
Be gentle when you pull the connectors off the injectors, a few of mine I snapped the push clips that hold them on the injectors securely. I just pushed them back on the injectors when i put it all back together, thus far no issues.

The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brgjag, many thanks - that is clear and I will do exactly that. I am really impressed by the quick response and clarity of your summary; I admit I was going around in circles reading the various threads associated with this problem!
Thanks again,

Old 12-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member

I find the same issue here at times, searching for an issue and getting multi threads with diff ways to do things, ways at times I have no clue what it means so I just start another new thread and ask very deliberate questions so I GET IT, ha ha ha
At times you won't get a fast response but over all the help here is quick.
I assume you can take the fuel rail off, understand how too?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member

my clarity comes from having done this very repair recently, ha ha ha

Old 12-31-2014, 04:41 PM
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Hello Neal, brgjag came to your rescue first and I totally agree with his suggestions (no surprise to anyone having read my exhaustive posts on this subject from back in 2012.)
The fellow at InjectorRX in Houston, is possibly the most qualified to cap those worthless leakers of any shop you could get this done at. During our long conversations back when I was having the same issues with my '03 XKR, we both came to the conclusion that elimination of the dampers would not affect the operation of the fuel rails on our V-8 engines. He had not attempted to cap the damper cups at the time we were working through this - so I asked my father-in law to machine some caps out of stainless steel and I silver soldered the cups closed myself. But InjectorRX has obviously perfected the modification and performs such at a VERY reasonable price these days.
This IS positively your solution. Best of luck to you and Please Please Please don't use fuel containing alcohol if is at all available to you! Our entire fuel system, from the pump to the injectors is allergic to that swill.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

I noticed a very do slightly louder injectors after my dampeners where capped and I may just be imagining things, and I have not put the engine cover back on the motor yet due to other repairs. No diff in how the car runs either.

Old 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Great solution. Good to know there is a "fix" out there for the issue!