XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for cut keys & transponders

Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Source for cut keys & transponders

I didn't want this lost in another thread as it isn't a fix for someone's problems but a lead to a possible solution of a simple question. Where to get our security keys cut for a fair price and where to get transponders that can be programmed.

To keep it short I, like many others, have two Jags that each came with only one key. For over a year I've searched around trying to find who and where I could get extra keys made without having to pay Jag dealers exorbitant prices for the key, the cutting, and then the programing; each of which they want to bill as a separate item.

I've talked to locksmiths that can cut the tibbe style keys but the seem to have some sort of agreement with Jaguar to not do their keys. The Lincoln dealers who have the right key cutters and the flip style key shanks likewise won't cut Jag keys.

We can buy all the used but cut keys we could want on eBay but we still have to find someone to cut us a new blade to go with the flip style fob and find a way to reprogram it to our cars. If you have a pre-flip style security key your left out in the cold as their shanks aren't replaceable so all you'll find on eBay are the used remote fobs.

Anyway I tripped over an eBay seller based in the U.K. who advertises that they will cut to your code and ship as many of the old style non-flip keys with transponders as you want for about $12 each plus shipping from England. On another eBay site they sell the replaceable blades for the flip style keys, also cut to your code, for about $15 plus shipping. That's for just the blade so you have to supply the extra flip fob.

I emailed them to make some inquires about their business and their pricing as I already have two brand new uncut old style keys with transponders that I bought previously for $20 for the pair and I also have a brand new N. American flip style with an uncut blade which I've already reprogrammed to my wife's '04 XJ8.

Anyway they ended up offering to cut me three keys for a total of $50 including shipping. Now pay attention as it's not quite what they advertise they'll do. I'm getting two of the old style security keys WITHOUT transponders as I already have two keys with the new type carbon transponders which I can put into their supplied keys. I'm also getting one cut to my code blade to put into my previously purchased new flip style fob which as I said I've already reprogramed to my wife's car (Thanks to SDD v130).

I ordered them last night about 7:00 PM and got an email back confirming that my codes were correct (they verified them by looking at the four hi-def pictures I took with my computers video camera) and that they had already been cut and shipped. Not bad for $50 I think.

I will have spent a total of about $200 and have in return gotten one programmed new flip style key for my '04 XJ8 and two old style keys and one used and programed separate fob for my '99 XK8 to go with the keys I already have.

The 2 eBay listings are here: Jaguar Transponder Tibbe Car Key Cut to Code with ID13 Megamos Transponder | eBay

and here: JAGUAR FLIP BLADE CAR KEY REPLACEMENT CUT FOR REMOTE FOB XJ - XJR - X - S TYPE | eBay

The old style new blanks with new transponders can be bought CUT for about $34.50 each and the flip style blades CUT can be bought for about $22 each including shipping and you don't have to drive anywhere to get it done !!

I will of course post the final results once I receive the new keys to say all is well or boy did I screw-up this one.

By the way here's a link to new old style keys with transponders if you know someone who can cut and program them for you.

2 Pair New Jaguar Replacement Transponder Chipped Uncut Master Key Blank | eBay

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (01-17-2015)