XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

supercharger pulley upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default supercharger pulley upgrade

I've just changed injectors and fuel filter on Kitty and while the supercharger is out I thought I'd give the old girl a bit more boost in the form of the 10% pulley upgrade. I'm looking at the 10% pulley on Ebay and I wondered if any members out there have gone ahead with this mod. I know the snout has to be ground back, and this is an ideal situation to be in as it's already out of the car. Do any members know what diameter it has to be to achieve adequate clearance from the snout?

Old 02-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts

Pete,
Here's how to do your Pulley upgrade! First, the smaller pulley on the S/C will not help enough to even notice.......If you really want to feel the difference, you need to change both pulleys and have the computer flashed....I did this to my 2000 XKR Coupe and it really woke it up.......Call Eurotek Designs in Bronxville, NY and ask for Phil @914-395-0931 and tell him you would like to have the same set-up that Billy Clyde in Houston had on his 2000 XKR......That is the only way to go! Somewhere around the $2500.00 figure!!!!!Well worth the money!

Billy Clyde

Billy Clyde

The following users liked this post:
TM08XKR (04-03-2022)
Old 02-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

or - don't listen to that guy because he's kidding himself.

You can not remap a 4.0L engine, it will reset itself. This has been done to death on this forum, unless you replace the ECU there is no way to change the mapping.

Plenty of people around who report a decent increase in low-midrange power from the 10% pulley.

When you do both pulleys, its time to start thinking about improving charge cooling.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Mr. Mike or the Guy with the Electric exhaust cutouts on his "mean sounding" 2000 XKR Coupe,

Back in 2003, I bought a 2000 XKR Coupe (Anthracite Black Mica/Charcoal). It had 8900 miles when I picked it up in New City, NY and drove it back to Texas. The 4 liter S/C Engine was quite a thrill at that time. Several months later I found out about Eurotek Designs in Bronxville, NY and called Phil Caggiano, the owner, about his Big pulley/Little pulley program. he sends you the Kit and you send him your Computer by over-night for re-programing.....Back then, it cost me $2,350.00 for the Pulleys, a different Belt and Tensioner and a new bolt for the Crankshaft Pulley....He has a guy from Germany, that used to work at Bosch that does the programing. I'll have to say that when I put it back on the road; it had such an unbelievable difference in performance it was like Night and Day!

Now, I know that you apparently have been a Member of the Forum since 1/2012 and you are considered a Senior Member and you have been Thanked 23 times for something; but Old Buddy, don't ever tell someone not to listen to "that Guy" because he is Kidding himself! It may be that you don't know what you are talking about! Which is the case here.....I have done it and I know it works....The stock 4.0 L S/C comes with 370 HP & 387 Lbs. of Torque. After installing Phil's Kit and having the Computer re-programed the old S/C 4.0 liter comes in at 400 HP & 429 Lbs. of Torque Now that's 30 additional HP & 42 Lbs. of Torque increase. Is that worth $2,350.00? Well, I don't know what you think about it but Mike I know that I'm not kidding myself and I know that the Computer did not re-set it's self! Now mike, I was trying to help "Petes76" because he apparently lives in Houston but because of the way you stuck you nose into this....He probably thinks everyone on the Forum is "NUTS"!

Mike! All of the XKR's shown below have had Phil's Kit installed and the 4.2 Liter Engines power was increased from Stock 390HP to 425HP and the Torque went from 425 to 479. Oh! and about the Charge Cooling, as you called it. The 2005 has the Big Inter-Cooler Radiator and a Snow Performance Water/Methanol injector system....The Boost Gauge shows that the Super Charger can pump-out up to 25Lbs of Boost.....That's enough for tonight, Mike!

God luck to you!

BillyClyde

1998 XK
2000 XKR
2003 XKR
2005 XKR

Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Bill, no offence was intended.

I'm afraid, however, it is a fact that right now a 4.0L ECU can not be remapped. And it certainly wasn't possibly back in 2003. Search the forum and you'll see what I mean.

To quote XKRacer:

"The problem is the ECU is a learning ECU, Jaguar never released the codes to crack the programming, there is very little you can change, this is why avos has not had to worry about it, with all of the mods he has done the ECU taught itself to deal and did....... Who ever says they can is not giving you all the facts and if by some miracle they could, and it was legit, they would be advertising the fact and they would have a queue going out the door"

I don't doubt that you're seeing 30HP increase from changing both pulleys, but I would be extremely surprised if your ECU "reprogramming" has anything to do with it.

To answer your question about value, no, I don't think your 30HP was worth $2,350. I have both pulleys and a new belt ready to be fitted and in total I've spent under £300.

Last edited by kreyszig; 02-08-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:34 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Mr. Mike or the Guy with the Electric exhaust cutouts on his "mean sounding" 2000 XKR Coupe,

Back in 2003, I bought a 2000 XKR Coupe (Anthracite Black Mica/Charcoal). It had 8900 miles when I picked it up in New City, NY and drove it back to Texas. The 4 liter S/C Engine was quite a thrill at that time. Several months later I found out about Eurotek Designs in Bronxville, NY and called Phil Caggiano, the owner, about his Big pulley/Little pulley program. he sends you the Kit and you send him your Computer by over-night for re-programing.....Back then, it cost me $2,350.00 for the Pulleys, a different Belt and Tensioner and a new bolt for the Crankshaft Pulley....He has a guy from Germany, that used to work at Bosch that does the programing. I'll have to say that when I put it back on the road; it had such an unbelievable difference in performance it was like Night and Day!

Now, I know that you apparently have been a Member of the Forum since 1/2012 and you are considered a Senior Member and you have been Thanked 23 times for something; but Old Buddy, don't ever tell someone not to listen to "that Guy" because he is Kidding himself! It may be that you don't know what you are talking about! Which is the case here.....I have done it and I know it works....The stock 4.0 L S/C comes with 370 HP & 387 Lbs. of Torque. After installing Phil's Kit and having the Computer re-programed the old S/C 4.0 liter comes in at 400 HP & 429 Lbs. of Torque Now that's 30 additional HP & 42 Lbs. of Torque increase. Is that worth $2,350.00? Well, I don't know what you think about it but Mike I know that I'm not kidding myself and I know that the Computer did not re-set it's self! Now mike, I was trying to help "Petes76" because he apparently lives in Houston but because of the way you stuck you nose into this....He probably thinks everyone on the Forum is "NUTS"!

Mike! All of the XKR's shown below have had Phil's Kit installed and the 4.2 Liter Engines power was increased from Stock 390HP to 425HP and the Torque went from 425 to 479. Oh! and about the Charge Cooling, as you called it. The 2005 has the Big Inter-Cooler Radiator and a Snow Performance Water/Methanol injector system....The Boost Gauge shows that the Super Charger can pump-out up to 25Lbs of Boost.....That's enough for tonight, Mike!

God luck to you!

BillyClyde

1998 XK
2000 XKR
2003 XKR
2005 XKR
FYI: Phil/Eurotek does not remap AJ26/AJ27 ECUs anymore.

Last edited by XJR-99; 02-09-2017 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

XJR-99,

I talked with Phil about the 2000 XKR Computers....He told me that still does those, what he calls "Old Boxes", but the Programing tool he had back when he did my 2000, broke a couple years ago and no replacement can be had. The other process is to take the ECU apart but that is time consuming and is quite costly.

So, as you can see, He does but doesn't advertise it anymore, but if you just have to have one done, it will be costly......So, I guess you could say, "He does but doesn't want to", but then I guess you are half right and half wrong......What would you say?

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kreyszig
Bill, no offence was intended.

I'm afraid, however, it is a fact that right now a 4.0L ECU can not be remapped. And it certainly wasn't possibly back in 2003. Search the forum and you'll see what I mean.

To quote XKRacer:

"The problem is the ECU is a learning ECU, Jaguar never released the codes to crack the programming, there is very little you can change, this is why avos has not had to worry about it, with all of the mods he has done the ECU taught itself to deal and did....... Who ever says they can is not giving you all the facts and if by some miracle they could, and it was legit, they would be advertising the fact and they would have a queue going out the door"

I don't doubt that you're seeing 30HP increase from changing both pulleys, but I would be extremely surprised if your ECU "reprogramming" has anything to do with it.

To answer your question about value, no, I don't think your 30HP was worth $2,350. I have both pulleys and a new belt ready to be fitted and in total I've spent under £300.
Any chance you can tell me where to get the lower pulley from?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

This message is for BlooDSMear

Re: Lower Pulley for 4.0 Liter & 4.2

Although the Lower Pulley for the 4.0 Liter is now unavailable, you can still send yours to Phil @ Eurotek and he will enlarge it for you. Talk with him or you can go to eurotoysltd.com, they have them for $599.95. I would suggest calling about what all they can do for the 4.0 Liter. They have an entire kit to chose from.... As I mentioned on my 2/11 post, Phil's programmer broke and he can now only reprogram the 4.0 Liter's computer by taking it apart. You would have to talk with him about that....I'm sure it would be expensive!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
Any chance you can tell me where to get the lower pulley from?
lower pulleys and upper pulleys available at powerhouse .

Powerhouse Automotive | Jaguar Supercharger 4.0 V8 Lower Pulleys

i put the 1.5psi 6% upgrade top pulley on my 4.2 it screams a higher note
and id say there was a noticeable difference in the mid range punch . as far as i searched powerhouse had the best quality material (stainless steel) . and nice quality milling ,
with an extra angle at the tips of the ridges for quieter running and less belt wear,
i think the lower pulley upgrade and the 6% top is as far as you want to go , or you will start to have charge cooling issues , and excessive heat soak. even with just the 6% you will need a intercooler pump upgrade. to combat the increase in charge temps .

MaxTorq (03-10-2022)
Old 03-05-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a question on this topic. Like many here I am not the original owner of my 2001 XKR. I have thought about the pulley upgrade but first need to know if a previous owner may have already done it. I'd like to measure my pulleys to determine if they are original or modified.
My questions are:
1. What is the diameter of the stock lower pulley? and
2. What is the diameter of the stock upper pulley? Since the belt is currently installed , for simplicity the diameter of the outer shoulder is easiest to measure. Anyone know the diameters?
Thanks much,
Knowsnot (Adam)

Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by knowsnot
I have a question on this topic. Like many here I am not the original owner of my 2001 XKR. I have thought about the pulley upgrade but first need to know if a previous owner may have already done it. I'd like to measure my pulleys to determine if they are original or modified.
My questions are:
2. What is the diameter of the stock upper pulley? Since the belt is currently installed , for simplicity the diameter of the outer shoulder is easiest to measure. Anyone know the diameters?
Thanks much,
Knowsnot (Adam)
I don't have a specific measurement but the lower is quite obvious just with a quick look. The original SC drive is much the same diameter of the damper overall while an upgraded SC drive is noticeably larger than the remaining serpentine drive pulley.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Adam, To tell the truth, I don't know the diameter of the Pulleys and my Pulleys have all been changed, so it wouldn't do any good for me to measure either one.....If I were you, I would contact Eurotoys @ 1-847-464-4000 or il]Sales@eurotoysltd.com. They will know the numbers for you to look for.....also, they can advise you which upper pulley you can use and about how many PSI you can expect to have after the conversion.....

If you have kept up with this Thread, I said a couple weeks ago, they can't re-program your 2001 (4.0 Liter) Computer anymore as Phil's programmer broke several years ago...He told me he still could but it would be very expensive, as he would have to take it apart to do it......(To tell the truth, he really doesn't want to do it anymore!)

Eurotoys quality is very good and reasonable. The lower pulley on the 4.0 Liter is no longer available from Jaguar, so you will have to send your lower pulley to them to modify...You will have down-time....According to the size of the lower pulley and the upper pulley, you can get up to 16 or maybe 16.5 lbs. of BOOST out of this set-up.......I wouldn't try for more without being able to program the computer and installing the larger intercooler radiator and replacing the water-pump with a larger one....You would need these mods as the pressurized charge is going to get HOT without them...The Jaguar system is not large enough to handle more than about 12 Lbs.......... Eurotoys has all these parts, so hopefully you have some cash, as you will need it to do the job as it should be done....

My 2005 4.2 has an extra large lower Pulley along with the regular small one on the S/C....plus all that other stuff and in addition, I have a Snow Performance Water/Methanol injector system that sprays 50/50 W/M directly into the incoming air just ahead of the Throttle-Body. It will put out 25lbs of BOOST according to the Boost-gage! But Adam, my computer was re-programed and you can't do that anymore to your 4.0 Liter! If you want to do this to a 4.0 liter, please keep the Boost down to 12 or 14 lbs. Do all the things you can to keep the charge cool and you should be pretty happy with the outcome!

Billy Clyde in Houston

MaxTorq (01-13-2020)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Puleys do you have? Who's?/Overall Diameter?

My questions are:
Thanks much,
Knowsnot (Adam)
Thanks for the responses. Not trying to hijack the thread as I think this plays in to the topic.

I could still determine if I have an OEM pulley through the process of elimination if I had the overall diameters of various aftermarket pulleys. A list for others to reference would be helpful for all.

My revised request is:
Please measure the overall diameter of your supercharger pulley, note if it is OEM, Mina, paramount, eurotoys etc. and post it. If you have a modified lower pulley that would also help. (again note who did it).
If you wish to comment on ease of install or performance feel free as well.
Thanks,
Knowsnot

Old 03-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 592 Likes on 469 Posts

mine is 4.2 with standard lower pulley. and a powerhouse 1.5psi / 6% pulley.
it is 70mm diameter .

fitted it with the blower still in the car . wasn't too hard .
power wise it had a nice increase in the lower rpm's.
and sound wise the blower is louder and higher pitched as its revving higher than it was . was worth the time and money i think .

The following 3 users liked this post by Datsports:
JagSTR2004 (03-08-2017), MaxTorq (01-13-2020), Z07Brandon (06-27-2020)
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

4.0 has pulley ratio of 2.0 , lower 152mm( 6") and upper 76mm ( 3" ) and that should make 11.6PSI boost - at least as new.
4.2 has pulley ratio of 2.1, lower 160mm ( 6.3" ) and upper 76mm ( 3" ) Boost 13.1PSI.

Here you can see difference between OEM 4.0 lower pulley and Powerhouse ~180mm one. At the moment I run EAJP 169mm pulley.

Attached Thumbnails supercharger pulley upgrade-pulley_1.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by XJR-99:
Don B (05-26-2020), JagSTR2004 (03-08-2017), MaxTorq (01-13-2020), Panthro (06-06-2017)
Old 01-13-2020, 12:34 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

billy,
i am a new guy here...first jag was 40 yrs ago and finally got my second three weeks ago...a 2005 xkr with 75k.
i have been reading maaaaany of the threads to quik learn about my new luv.... thank you for your info and passion for the cat and your brother-en's cats.....please, continue to share.

max &
XKRFACE

Old 01-15-2020, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Max & XKRFACE,

I am on my 4th XK Coupe, as the first was a 1998 XK8 Coupe (Topaz), Then next was a 2000 XKR Coupe (Anthracite-Mica), then came the 2003 XKR, which was (Onyx) and now the 2005 XKR Coupe (Onyx). So Max, I have, over the past 20 years, had about everything happen tha's,t going to happen to oneanXK's. I thank you very much for your "Note" and I appreciate you letting me know!
I have Family in Dallas and my Degree is from North Texas, so I know my way around up there!....If you need something, let me know!

Billy Clyde.

Last edited by bcprice36; 01-15-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default revival...supercharger pulleys !

Thanks for the responses. Not trying to hijack the thread as I think this plays in to the topic.

I could still determine if I have an OEM pulley through the process of elimination if I had the overall diameters of various aftermarket pulleys. A list for others to reference would be helpful for all.

My revised request is:
Please measure the overall diameter of your supercharger pulley, note if it is OEM, Mina, paramount, eurotoys etc. and post it. If you have a modified lower pulley that would also help. (again note who did it).
If you wish to comment on ease of install or performance feel free as well.
Thanks,
Knowsnot

attention to any of interest,

i am just off the phone with chris at mina gallery... very informed and helpful...gave a bit of his time.
i have ordered the "pkg 4" that has the intake tube, filter and pulley.
i have measured my stock pulley (outside of the lip/belt on) at 80mm. i think this would be consistant with 76mm at the belt riding surface.
i plan to install each component 1 at a time to see/feel the difference... if possible.
more info to follow !

max & XKRFACE

Old 07-22-2022, 07:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. did you fuel mileage go down? I assume it would but...??

Originally Posted by Datsports
mine is 4.2 with standard lower pulley. and a powerhouse 1.5psi / 6% pulley.
it is 70mm diameter .

fitted it with the blower still in the car . wasn't too hard .
power wise it had a nice increase in the lower rpm's.
and sound wise the blower is louder and higher pitched as its revving higher than it was . was worth the time and money i think .