XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thanks! ABS/Trac Not Available - Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks! ABS/Trac Not Available - Fixed

Thanks to Jaguarforums for the diy section. I had been getting an intermittent ABS/Trac Not Available warning for many months. But, it came on full time about 2 weeks ago.

Having followed the threads of those who came before me and then diving into the diy section was all the encouragement I needed. First, the wheel sensors were cleaned. Since there was very little crud on them I did not expect this to remedy the problem, and it didn't.

So, the next step was to remove the ABS module in the engine bay. The only issue I had was that, apparently, E5 star sockets have been outlawed in Tennessee, so I had to wait for Amazon to send me a set of star sockets.

Two days later, thanks to Amazon Prime, I have the star socket and the ABS module removed. I recall another poster commenting on how difficult it was to see the break in the solder at the two posts. How true that is. Even taking a picture with my iPhone and zooming in, the break was difficult to see, but there it was.

So, I re-soldered the two posts, applied RTV to the edges of the box, and clamped it shut for about 8 hours before re-attaching the module.

In re-attaching the module, the biggest problem I had was getting the windshield fluid filler neck re-attached. Fortunately, I found an access panel at the front of the wheel bay that allowed me to get a good hold on the filler tube to force it back through the hole in the chassis. This seemed to be the only way I was going to get the tube extended far enough to get the neck twisted back on.

In all, it was a simple project. So, thanks to Jaguarforums for the resources to make this an easy fix.

-lux

The following 3 users liked this post by hypoluxo:
cjd777 (08-20-2015), DaveInVA (09-07-2015), mrplow58 (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

I will be doing this tomorrow. If it works, my car will finally have NO problems, leaving me time to save money for a very good paint job.....Thanks again. I have been chasing my tail on this, and it changes according to the temperature, which sounds like a solder break, and very difficult to nail down. I will report on the hopeful success.....Thank you.....Mike

Old 08-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

IT'S....ALIVE!!!!.....I soldered where the pins come through for the large plug also. I don't want to do this job again for awhile.

I also pressure bled about half a gallon of fresh brake fluid through her. Why do that job twice. The brake reservoir had the same threads as the 928, so I was especially grateful.......

Thanks to everybody, especially hypoluxo, and all of you who put up the instructions. The only problems I had were getting the 2 bottom screws out, because they rusted to the point of having no points. So I ended up taking the whole unit out, and pounding the next smaller size socket on them, so I would have something to use if I ever needed to do this again. I put them on the top, and put grease on all 4 of them, to limit the corrosion.....Thanks again.....Be cool.....Mike

The following users liked this post:
hypoluxo (08-25-2015)