XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time to tackle the tensioner issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default time to tackle the tensioner issue

Hi all- just had a quick question as to whether i should replace the timing chains while i'm in there? 1997 xk8 with 110k miles.

Thanks, Bruce

Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

If the shoes are missing and the chain appears worn you probably should. I had one shoe missing but the chain looked okay, so I didn't bother.
If the any shoes are missing, you should also remove the pan and clean the oil pickup screen.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:45 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

If you're doing the lower tensioners and guides, why not while you're in there. I would guess most people do not do chain replacement when doing just the top ones, unless there's obvious wear.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

+1 on RJ237's comments. Also, replace the thermostat and consider a water pump upgrade at this time.

The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (11-21-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 AM

Thanks, seems like the thing to do since I've gone that far.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Thumbs up

If the any shoes are missing, you should also remove the pan and clean the oil pickup screen.[/QUOTE]

good point, thanks!

Old 11-22-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Spurlee
+1 on RJ237's comments. Also, replace the thermostat and consider a water pump upgrade at this time.
good advice, thank you.

Bruce

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 AM

what do you think about this set? Can I get the whole set cheaper?
JAGUAR V8 1997-01 COMPLETE TIMING CHAIN KIT, EVERYTHING | eBay

Old 12-16-2012, 04:59 AM

Well, finished the tensiners, chains, and guides. Timing cover back on and should have the Dampener and other pulleys on today. Changed outh the oil pan (old one looks like she kissed the pavement pretty hard in the past) and transmission filter and gasket. Recieved my new steering rack as well and should have that installed today too. Will fill all fluids and crank it without the plugs in to get the oil circulating prior to "firing start".

I have the upgraded thermostat housing to install, but I need to get the old one off as well as xheck the hoses that travel under the manifold because there is a hissing sound and steam coming from under there the last time I started the car. I'm debating whether or not to take the manifold off so I can get a "birds eye view" of the cylinder head gaskets to make sure one has not failed. Upon cleaning and inspecting the spark plugs, 2 of the spark plugs had a little rust on the lock washers (not sure which bank they came from as I did not mark them).

Am I fogetting anything? If anyone has anything to add about anything I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 AM

Got the manifold and throttle body off. Ordered all hoses and knock sensors to replace since they're exposed.

There's alot of carbon build-up on the intakes....think I'm going to brush upwards with a small brass brush while holding the vacuume just above it to clean it up a bit.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier1one
Well, finished the tensiners, chains, and guides. Timing cover back on and should have the Dampener and other pulleys on today. Changed outh the oil pan (old one looks like she kissed the pavement pretty hard in the past) and transmission filter and gasket. Recieved my new steering rack as well and should have that installed today too. Will fill all fluids and crank it without the plugs in to get the oil circulating prior to "firing start".

I have the upgraded thermostat housing to install, but I need to get the old one off as well as xheck the hoses that travel under the manifold because there is a hissing sound and steam coming from under there the last time I started the car. I'm debating whether or not to take the manifold off so I can get a "birds eye view" of the cylinder head gaskets to make sure one has not failed. Upon cleaning and inspecting the spark plugs, 2 of the spark plugs had a little rust on the lock washers (not sure which bank they came from as I did not mark them).

Am I fogetting anything? If anyone has anything to add about anything I would love to hear it.

Thanks,
Bruce
Did you do all that yourself? Just wondering how difficult a task all that is. is it something a guy with average to below average mechanical skill can do in his garage?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

All the 'outside the block' stuff is just bolt on. I would equate tensioners with replacing rotors, calipers and brake pads. You will need a few less-than-common tools and good memory or pictures of how things came off but this is not rocket surgery . . . and you have the forum members standing by for responses within the hour.

Having a Harbor Freight store or on-line account will solve almost any tool issue very inexpensively.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM
Default no sweat

Was'nt that bad. Enjoying myself become at one with the car as well. Great learning experience for me so far and am enjoying doing it. I will say, I find myself looking for little things as well to make sure I have a good daily driver come this spring. Not sure if you know, but I bought this car at auction (sight unseen) and had it shipped from California to my home in Maine for a winter project. I've been wanting an XK8 Coupe for a long time and am thrilled with my progress so far and yes you can do anything you put your mind to......just takes a little homework and patience for the parts to come in.

Peace, Bruce

Old 01-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Smile Well, I finished the major work

Just wrapped up the engine work. Here's the recap........

The first picture is the front end stripped down.

The second is after replacement of tensioners and guides.

The third is after the timing cover has been installed and top end work started. I removed the intake and TB to get to the heater hoses and replaced the knock sensors while I was in there.

Fourth is the intake....I cleaned everything prior to reinstallation.

Fith picture is the finished product

Attached Thumbnails time to tackle the tensioner issue-tensioners-guides-038.jpg   time to tackle the tensioner issue-tensioners-guides-039.jpg   time to tackle the tensioner issue-tensioners-guides-042.jpg   time to tackle the tensioner issue-tensioners-guides-043.jpg   time to tackle the tensioner issue-finished-engine-002.jpg  

Old 01-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier1one
Just wrapped up the engine work. Here's the recap........

The first picture is the front end stripped down.

The second is after replacement of tensioners and guides.

The third is after the timing cover has been installed and top end work started. I removed the intake and TB to get to the heater hoses and replaced the knock sensors while I was in there.

Fourth is the intake....I cleaned everything prior to reinstallation.

Fith picture is the finished product
You realize that now you are one of the people that will be answering the questions instead of asking them.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM

With the repair manual, it's relatively simple to complete these jobs yourself. This site gives me the opportunity to get over the occasional bump in the road not specified in the manuals.

I also changed out the heater core which required removal of the steering column. I know I documented the process, but can't find the pictures on my or my wife's computers.

Going outside now to remove the windshield (which has a huge crack across it) so i can get to the headliner replacement project. (the headliner is literally "lining my head")

I don't mind chipping in if I am asked

Have a happy New Year!
Bruce

Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

What repair manual are you using?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 AM

There are a number of them on EBay. I have a JTIS and another. The link for the other one I PMed you should be checked to see if it is compatible w/ your car.
Bruce

The following users liked this post:
Hare (01-02-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Thank you very much for the info. Will find and order.