XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using Boot Key Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Smile Using Boot Key Lock

I thought the battery was dead since I could not open the doors or boot with the remote. The Jag has been in storage since October. I was going to try the under bonnet method but decided to give the boot key lock one more try. I had tried it before but it seemed to be stuck. I didn't want to force it and take a chance of breaking the key since I don't have a spare. This time it seemed to still be stuck so I shot a good amount of WD40 into it then inserted the key and as I was turning the key I smacked the boot lid just above the lock and low and behold it worked like a charm. When the boot opened I also found out the the battery wasn't dead as the alarm started sounding immediately. I used the key to open the door and shut the alarm off. I noticed when I opened the door the window dropped as it is suppose to so I got in and put the key in the ignition, the tilt wheel adjusted like it should and all instrument lights came to life and went through the checks. When I turned the key the engine started right up, all was normal. I shut it off got out and used the remote to lock the doors, it also worked to unlock them. I closed the boot and then used the remote to open it, no problem. I don't know what the problem was with not being able to unlock anything with the remote but it's working fine now plus I've got the boot key lock working now. I've got the battery charger on it now just to be sure I've got a full charge.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You have to be gentle when awaking a cat after a 4 month nap.

The following users liked this post:
Green Machine (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Machine
I thought the battery was dead since I could not open the doors or boot with the remote. The Jag has been in storage since October. I was going to try the under bonnet method but decided to give the boot key lock one more try. I had tried it before but it seemed to be stuck. I didn't want to force it and take a chance of breaking the key since I don't have a spare. This time it seemed to still be stuck so I shot a good amount of WD40 into it then inserted the key and as I was turning the key I smacked the boot lid just above the lock and low and behold it worked like a charm. When the boot opened I also found out the the battery wasn't dead as the alarm started sounding immediately. I used the key to open the door and shut the alarm off. I noticed when I opened the door the window dropped as it is suppose to so I got in and put the key in the ignition, the tilt wheel adjusted like it should and all instrument lights came to life and went through the checks. When I turned the key the engine started right up, all was normal. I shut it off got out and used the remote to lock the doors, it also worked to unlock them. I closed the boot and then used the remote to open it, no problem. I don't know what the problem was with not being able to unlock anything with the remote but it's working fine now plus I've got the boot key lock working now. I've got the battery charger on it now just to be sure I've got a full charge.

This is completely normal behavior. The car goes into 'deep sleep' after 28 days in order to conserve the battery. After this point it requires the key to open and the remote will not function until it is woken up by manually unlocking.

The following 4 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
Frog (02-07-2013), Green Machine (02-06-2013), MRomanik (02-06-2013), OregonJag (02-07-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

I've had exactly the same with mine when it is left for a few weeks, it won't respond to the remote, but if I open the door with the key all is well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Norri:
Green Machine (02-06-2013), Mike R (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by Norri
I've had exactly the same with mine when it is left for a few weeks, it won't respond to the remote, but if I open the door with the key all is well.
Well all is good to go now plus I got the bonnet key lock working in case the battery ever does actually go dead in the future.
I've also learned something new from you members about how our cars act.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by test point
You have to be gentle when awaking a cat after a 4 month nap.
Yes you do. It roared to life as soon as I hit the starter and all is back to normal. I'm still going to leave it in storage as we have more snow coming this weekend. I don't want to get any salt brine on it, I have to put up with that on the X-Type, it's a mess right now and it really hasn't warmed up enough yet to wash it.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Although WD40 is OK for freeing up the boot lock, it's no good as a long term lubricant on locks as it dries out and they stick again.

Best treatment for locks once you've got them freed up is locksmiths graphite available either in powder or aerosol.

Occasional use of the boot and door locks is also a good plan. Best to know they all work before getting a dead remote or flat battery.

Graham

The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
Frog (02-07-2013), Green Machine (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

I knew about 'sleep mode', but I had never heard of 'deep sleep mode'. Thanks for the information. I learn something new here just about every time I log in....

Is there a 'Rip Van Winkle mode' after months of inactivity? Maybe you have to yell at the car before it will accept the key in the door....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-07-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I knew about 'sleep mode', but I had never heard of 'deep sleep mode'. Thanks for the information. I learn something new here just about every time I log in....

Is there a 'Rip Van Winkle mode' after months of inactivity? Maybe you have to yell at the car before it will accept the key in the door....
Never, Never, Never yell at the cat while sleeping!!! May come back at furious mode!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by GGG
Although WD40 is OK for freeing up the boot lock, it's no good as a long term lubricant on locks as it dries out and they stick again.

Best treatment for locks once you've got them freed up is locksmiths graphite available either in powder or aerosol.

Occasional use of the boot and door locks is also a good plan. Best to know they all work before getting a dead remote or flat battery.

Graham
I hear what you're saying. I think mine was stuck simply from 16 years of non use. I will however now work it often to keep it free.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Received 6,243 Likes on 5,444 Posts

As they say, "use it or lose it."

Old 02-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Jon89

I had a few choice words to say mostly cursing myself when the remote wouldn't open anything. It came across my mind that it might have been a good idea to have unlocked the boot and left it that way before putting it away for the winter. But all is well now, I put a full charge on the battery over night and the Kitty has settled back into hibernation for the rest of the winter, now that I know what to expect when I'm ready to bring it back to life.

Old 02-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

. . . off subject . . . but . . .

I had a '67 Triumph Bonneville . . . the fastest production motorcycle on the planet at the time. Wish it was down in the hobby garage now! Oh . . . the misspent youth!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by test point
. . . off subject . . . but . . .

I had a '67 Triumph Bonneville . . . the fastest production motorcycle on the planet at the time. Wish it was down in the hobby garage now! Oh . . . the misspent youth!
My '64 Bonne is mostly original with only 12000 miles on it.