Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valet Mode Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,342 Likes on 725 Posts
Default Valet Mode Troubles

After a long drive today, I arrived at my destination and powered off the Black Pearl. I immediately noticed that the systems didn't really power off. All of the gauges and dials were still working even with the key out of the ignition. The radio wouldn't spit out the cassette or power on. For about 5 minutes, I couldn't power the car on.

Afterwards it started up as normal but when I tried to open the trunk or the gas cap I got the "valet mode" message. I tried locking and unlocking my car with the black master key (my only one) to see if it would turn off valet mode. No dough. It didn't work. I can, however, start the car, lock and unlock it without any trouble. I couldn't open the boot or the gas filler door.

I left the car sitting there for about 6 hours. When I came back she started up as normal. I was able to open the gas filler cap, but I still get the Valet Mode message when trying to open the boot.

Inserting the key into the boot's keyhole doesn't work. It doesn't open it even though I can hear the lock mechanism actuating.

Finally, my remote key fob doesn't work. It's got a new battery which is correctly seated (+ side down) and the contacts are clean. I tried reprogramming it as per the instructions in: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...048/?styleid=2 , but I can't get it to work. As much as I try, the car never chirps to let me know that I may start reprogramming the fob. I followed the instructions to the T. Maybe the security module's busted.

I hope not.

I'm stumped; help please!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Anytime you have strange electrical problems you look to the battery and charging system first. Don't know about PR but all the national chain auto parts stores will do a full test for free.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:57 AM
Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Hi.

+1 on checking your battery. It is essential to have a good charged battery to avoid electrical gremlins. If you drive your car seldom or do short trips only, a battery charger is a good idea.
Check both yor battery posts to be clean and to have a good connection.
Also check your positive cable connection to the mega fuses in front of the trunk.
Both the positive and negative battery cable may detoriate over time. Cheap to change.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

+2 check battery.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

To check the battery, you will need in the trunk. Search the forum, there are several threads on this issue.

You might also be able to charge it enough from the posts in the engine bay to get the trunk to work.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

So, how do I open the trunk?

My key fob won't work, my master key won't work, and the button won't work. I can't open the trunk to access my battery.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Try this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ry-dead-72315/ Look at the link on reply #5 and see if that helps.

If this does not work, search the forum as this is a common problem. I think it is also in the FAQs/stickies.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

See post above.

You can charge or jump to the under hood terminals but DO NOT try to start it with these connections.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

So, what if when using the charge points it still claims to be in "valet mode" and doesn't open the trunk?

Old 12-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Then just before using a 24" breaker bar or acetylene torch, try this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-there-56047/

The under hood method will likely work, just be sure to reset the system by the battery method to clear the valet mode if it is still on. Then test/replace your battery.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

First thing to do is try. Hook up a battery charger to the points under the hood and leave it for a few hours.

Then disconnect the charger and open the car with the master key. Put the key in the ignition and try to start the car.

If it starts, then try the button on the dash.

Post back what happens.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:58 PM

You may also try the key in the trunk lock again, turning it while pressing down on the trunk lid.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

The charge points thing didn't work. However, it allowed us to measure to diagnose the problem.

Car started, but I couldn't open the trunk. The valet mode is still on. The diagnosis was that the alternator is dead.

A replacement costs me $182.00

I'm gonna replace it with my step-brother's help. How hard is it to do?

Old 12-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

The alternator is not difficult to replace. You can get to it from the top after removing the pipe to the throttle body and the air box. The fans do not have to come out. There is however a connector and ground wiring that might be best tackled from underneath.

Here is a thread that might help the process. Do a search, there are others.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oud-r-i-78238/

The bolt that holds the alternator to the main engine bracket has a short brass sleeve in it. If the alternator seems stuck, it it most likely this sleeve. It works itself out and catches the lip of the main bracket. You'll have to work it back into the bolt hole to let it clear.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:58 PM

Just a friendly word of advise.
Working on the electrics on these cars without being able to disconnect the battery is a risky business with the possibility of frying some electronic components.
Be very careful with the cables you disconnect.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by oyster
Just a friendly word of advise.
Working on the electrics on these cars without being able to disconnect the battery is a risky business with the possibility of frying some electronic components.
Be very careful with the cables you disconnect.

This seems like a horrible catch-22.

So, I can't open my boot to disconnect the battery, but I need a new alternator to be able to open the boot.

Is there not a single way to open my trunk? This is seriously too ****ed up.

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 12-29-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

I don't see any reason why you need to replace the alternator before first disconnecting it (with care) then recharge via posts previously stated above. For that matter you should be able to connect up the new alternator. But you do have to be extra careful if things are live from the battery. (A short will be a fire risk.)

I don't understand why (even when there's no power) your master key won't open the boot (trunk). Mine does and I think yours should. Try a thump on the boot lid as you turn the key?

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
This seems like a horrible catch-22.

So, I can't open my boot to disconnect the battery, but I need a new alternator to be able to open the boot.

Is there not a single way to open my trunk? This is seriously too ****ed up.
If you disconnect the alternator wires (the screw mounted ground) first, then pull the connector, you should be fine. Better to disconnect the battery first, but it can be done without it. Reverse the order to reconnect the new unit.

Were you unable to open the trunk with the alternate thru-the-hole method or have you not tried it? It is explained in reply #7 on the link I gave you earlier regarding how to open the trunk when all else fails.

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I don't see any reason why you need to replace the alternator before first disconnecting it (with care) then recharge via posts previously stated above. For that matter you should be able to connect up the new alternator. But you do have to be extra careful if things are live from the battery. (A short will be a fire risk.)

I don't understand why (even when there's no power) your master key won't open the boot (trunk). Mine does and I think yours should. Try a thump on the boot lid as you turn the key?

It seems to me there's a problem with the mechanical bits and pieces of the lock mechanism, as if something were loose. All I can say is that I insert the key, twist and you can sort of hear it trying to open but not fully doing so.

Mike, I haven't tried the through-the-hole method.

Quick Reply: Valet Mode Troubles