XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT seal leaking oil AGAIN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default VVT seal leaking oil AGAIN!!!

Hi, I replaced the VVT seals less than 3 months ago and it's leaking oil again. From what I can see it's only the drivers side one. I noticed the smoke from the oil driving this morning. Is there another problem that is causing this such as overpressure, etc? Anyone have suggestions to solve this once and for all?

Attached Thumbnails VVT seal leaking oil AGAIN!!!-0220130904.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

In that spot, I wouldn't think it would be pressure related. Hmmm. We'll collectively think this one over and get back to you!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Have you cleaned your part-load breather tube? Pretty small orifice but it does suck some pressure out of the driver side valve cover.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by artstar
Hi, I replaced the VVT seals less than 3 months ago and it's leaking oil again. From what I can see it's only the drivers side one. I noticed the smoke from the oil driving this morning. Is there another problem that is causing this such as overpressure, etc? Anyone have suggestions to solve this once and for all?
There is usually a lot of dirt, grit and sometomes corrosion on the exposed part of the solenoids. The seal can easiliy get contaminated when being replaced unless the area is throughly cleaned first.

Also make sure your valve cover breathers are not clogged causing excessive pressure.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

What causes the VVT seal to leak in the first place? They all seem to eventually. Is it heat, substandard materials, design flaw, internal pressure, all of the above, or what?

And what is the proper procedure for seal replacement?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by test point
Have you cleaned your part-load breather tube? Pretty small orifice but it does suck some pressure out of the driver side valve cover.
Don't know what/where that is but I'll research it here and do that. Also I have to admit I didn't do a thorough cleaning job when I replaced it just popped off the old one and popped this one on really.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Also I have to admit I didn't do a thorough cleaning job when I replaced it just popped off the old one and popped this one on really.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Don't know what/where that is but I'll research it here and do that. Also I have to admit I didn't do a thorough cleaning job when I replaced it just popped off the old one and popped this one on really.

Since the seals are still new and pliable, try a thorough cleaning and refit them.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi, I'm trying to clean the breather line but in the pdf attached, from jagrepair.com btw, it shows a clip to take it off. Per my other pic mine doesn't have that. Is by hand possible or ok? That's the correct line right? It's kinda confusing from the pdf which side is which.

Attached Thumbnails VVT seal leaking oil AGAIN!!!-022013120557e.jpg  
Attached Files
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Hi, I'm trying to clean the breather line but in the pdf attached, from jagrepair.com btw, it shows a clip to take it off. Per my other pic mine doesn't have that. Is by hand possible or ok? That's the correct line right? It's kinda confusing from the pdf which side is which.
On mine, the Clip was missing. You just have to squeeze the ring until the ring bows out to permit removal.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM

Can't get that thing off after trying for a while. I cleaned the VVT and seal and reinserted so I'll keep an eye on it. If it keeps leaking I'll get that breather line off somehow!

Attached Thumbnails VVT seal leaking oil AGAIN!!!-0220131350.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 676 Likes on 550 Posts

Can't get that thing off after trying for a while. I cleaned the VVT and seal and reinserted so I'll keep an eye on it. If it keeps leaking I'll get that breather line off somehow!
I couldn't get mine off either when I cleaned the throttle body, etc. After much squeezing and cussing, I remembered the many cautions about that plastic piece being brittle and easy to break, so I gave up. My clip was missing as well.

I would also be interested in any tips for doing this. It seems so simple, but so do many things I cannot do.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,
had problem removeing mine as well. but they are so simple, look carefully at it with a torch, squeeze the ring gently but firmly, whilst pushing down and then up and the plug will just pull off.

Incidently my pipe broke nr the plug, it was very easy to repair. i removed the piece of pipe from the plug with a sharp blade, and then used hot water to fit the remaining pipe on to the plug.

Best wishes

Steveeasy

Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by steveeasy
Hi,
had problem removeing mine as well. but they are so simple, look carefully at it with a torch, squeeze the ring gently but firmly, whilst pushing down and then up and the plug will just pull off.

Incidently my pipe broke nr the plug, it was very easy to repair. i removed the piece of pipe from the plug with a sharp blade, and then used hot water to fit the remaining pipe on to the plug.

Best wishes

Steveeasy
Ok, so it's squeeze the RING not the handles attached to the ring?

And then push the ring down then up to clear the sleeve?

After driving around a bit it looks like the VVT seal is leaking since I cleaned everything so maybe this is the problem. Guess I could ask Motorcars Ltd for a replacement since I got it through them.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Looking at the illustration on the PDF you have it shows that you remove the hose by installing a clip but I am not sure you have one. Looking at your photo it looks like someone has been trying to remove it with a tool like a screwdriver. The clip in illustration 3 is separating the locking clip of the female fitting (top) from the male fitting (bottom) and sealing the connection is an “O” ring. To get this off you will need to use a little pulling force and at the same time squeezing the two sides to force the holding clips out and a little twist will help. One thing for sure excessive force will cause breakage.

Link from my page http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...20Breather.pdf

Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Looking at the illustration on the PDF you have it shows that you remove the hose by installing a clip but I am not sure you have one. Looking at your photo it looks like someone has been trying to remove it with a tool like a screwdriver. The clip in illustration 3 is separating the locking clip of the female fitting (top) from the male fitting (bottom) and sealing the connection is an “O” ring. To get this off you will need to use a little pulling force and at the same time squeezing the two sides to force the holding clips out and a little twist will help. One thing for sure excessive force will cause breakage.

Link from my page http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...20Breather.pdf
Yeah I got a bit frustrated and tried a screwdriver but thought better of it after it started breaking in places. I tried pliers on the handles attached to the ring and pulling up, no joy. I'll try just squeezing the RINGS not the handles etc next time I'm out there.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The plastic connector is only held in place by the 'O' ring seal inside and the plastic retaining circlip. After understanding how the circlip is released try twisting and pulling.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

I believe that there are small tabs, facing inward, at the bottom of the Flat Sides of the Upper Connector. These tabs fit into slots in the base of the Lower mating Connector. These must be moved outward to release the Upper Connector.

As I recall, you squeeze the ring sides of the connector inward (Not the Flat Sides). This deforms the connector, forcing the Flat side tabs outward to clear the slot that they are in. This provides the same result as forcing the Clip (if present) inward does.

Then you twist back and forth and pull the connector off.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (02-20-2013)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Just in case it goes horribly wrong......Jaguar Crankcase Breather Hose - Genuine Jaguar AJ8004880 | FCP Euro

On the picture you can see that pushing in the ring on the sides moves the locking tabs out and releases the hose.