Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window/Mirror Electrical problem: '04 XK-8

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window/Mirror Electrical problem: '04 XK-8

Hi Everyone,

During the course of the recent So-Cal rains, my 2004 XK-8 developed a problem.

It began by the driver side mirror automatically readjusting iteself. (It kept moving to an up & left position.) I THINK it was doing this ONLY when the rocker switch was set to either driver or passenger, not off, but, am not certain right now.

Then, I lost all main window control. I discovered that fuse #4 (5 amp) on the passenger fascia compartment, had blown. I've replaced this fuse a few times now, it keeps blowing; sometimes with window use, somestimes not.

So, if I wanted to tinker with this problem myself, where can I easily start?

Thanks and happy New Year to all.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I would use a multi meter and see if there is a short to ground in any any of the switch positions. Just remove the fuse, determine which side of the huse holder is hot, then check the other side for resistance to ground. With the switch in the off position there should be an open circuit. Then check left and right to see if one shorts to ground, This is at least a first step

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The electrical schematics are found on the JTIS CD which can be downloaded from a Sticky at the top of the GENERAL TECH HELP forum here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/

Or just the schematics alone from the FAQ Sticky above at: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=34890

Old 01-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

I probably should have mentioned to rr that I am unable to look at the schematics because I am a new member and have not met the ten post quota.

I also should have asked if both mirrors can be adjusted without blowing the fuse, indicating an intermitant problem, which water can often cause.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both my mirrors stopped working, but the fuse is fine.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Window/Mirror Switchpack

My XK8 (1996 model) has the optional “foldback” mirrors. Although the switch makes the mirrors fold in and out correctly, the mirror glasses themselves will not adjust vertically or horizontally on either side of the car. I obtained another switch which reversed this scenario: both mirror glasses adjusted in both planes but the mirrors did not fold back. Luckily, the seller took the switch back and refunded me.
As someone who has been involved with electronics for nearly 50 years, it seems unlikely to me that Jaguar would have had different switches made for cars with and without folding mirrors - especially as the connector on the switch on my car is the same as the one I bought which didn’t work.
Any advice?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Ltd
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

My door master switch had severe corrosion on the circuit board. I cleaned it up, but still the mirrors won't adjust. I replaced the switch with one from a salvage yard from a 97. The design circuitry on the board is slightly different than mine, but the board is perfect. I have a 98. Still the mirrors won't respond to the joystick. However, the memory button will make each mirror move. Not sure what's going on. At some point, maybe I'll check the schematic and see if I can figure this out

Old 09-27-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqymarquis
As someone who has been involved with electronics for nearly 50 years, it seems unlikely to me that Jaguar would have had different switches made for cars with and without folding mirrors - especially as the connector on the switch on my car is the same as the one I bought which didn’t work.
Any advice?
I can only find one part # for the driver door switch pack (containing 14 switches) so I agree with you. The extra functionality is in the mirror assembly. The Heritage site
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...or-door-mirror

shows a raft of different numbers for the various options although I can't reconcile them to where I'd expect to find the foldback motor

Originally Posted by Ltd
My door master switch had severe corrosion on the circuit board. I cleaned it up, but still the mirrors won't adjust. I replaced the switch with one from a salvage yard from a 97. The design circuitry on the board is slightly different than mine, but the board is perfect. I have a 98. Still the mirrors won't respond to the joystick. However, the memory button will make each mirror move. Not sure what's going on. At some point, maybe I'll check the schematic and see if I can figure this out
Check the switch /harness connector is clean and good. One possibility is the switchpack isn't getting B+: won't be the fuse else you'd have window and locking issues, but perhaps whatever got to the circuit board has caused some corrosion.

Mirror control is bizarrely complicated inter-module SCP comms:- foldback function is controlled by the seat modules...

Old 09-28-2018, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by michaelh
I can only find one part # for the driver door switch pack (containing 14 switches) so I agree with you. The extra functionality is in the mirror assembly. The Heritage site
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...or-door-mirror

shows a raft of different numbers for the various options although I can't reconcile them to where I'd expect to find the foldback motor

Check the switch /harness connector is clean and good. One possibility is the switchpack isn't getting B+: won't be the fuse else you'd have window and locking issues, but perhaps whatever got to the circuit board has caused some corrosion.

Mirror control is bizarrely complicated inter-module SCP comms:- foldback function is controlled by the seat modules...
Hi,
Thanks for your input - a person selling one of these switches on eBay agrees with the contention that there would be one switch for all variants - he quotes the part number on his as LJA6332AE.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

That's the # Heritage is showing.
I did check this as I've been caught before (not with cars) where logic dictates that a part would cover all options but no - a 5¢ component missing...

The following users liked this post:
Marqymarquis (09-29-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
That's the # Heritage is showing.
I did check this as I've been caught before (not with cars) where logic dictates that a part would cover all options but no - a 5¢ component missing...
Thank you again Michael - or may I call you Sir Norbert?
An eBay seller with whom I’ve been exchanging messages tells me his switch has part number LJA6332AE stamped on it; my switch is part number LJA6332AG - this would seem to substantiate your submission.
BTW, my XK8 is also a sapphire blue model.

Last edited by Marqymarquis; 09-28-2018 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Mistake in part number qouted
Old 09-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member

Obviously I didn't check carefully enough as Heritage gives AE as superseded by AG

Sorry - who is Norbert? (someone with a failing memory, I guess?)

Blue rules...

The following users liked this post:
Marqymarquis (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 01:55 AM

Hi Michael,
The mistake is mine: I thought your profile photo was of Paul Whitehouse from a TV comedy/spoof documentary called “Norbert Smith, a life” starring PW’s long time Collaborator Harry Enfield; I believe your photo is actually of PW from a BBC comedy series, possibly The Fast Show, in which he portrays a gentleman with a possibly faulty memory.
On slightly more Jaguar-esque matters, another eBay seller with a mirror/window switch from an XK8 with power fold mirrors has promised to check the number of his part on Monday.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

It is indeed the amazingly versatile Paul Whitehouse in the guise of Rowley Birkin QC:

Back on topic. I've just pulled the switch from mine, and that carries a LJA6332BB code - so different again, although shows as superseded by AG. Mine doesn't have foldbacks although the white/green wire is present together with the associated pin on the switch.There's no voltage change when I try the operation (sits @ 0.2V) so I guess the 5¢ component is missing...