XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wing Mirror Glass removal.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Wing Mirror Glass removal.

Normally when you replace wing mirror glass you just put a lever behind the mirror and literally pry it out. Apparently that is not the case with Jag mirrors. You have to push the glass inwards nearest the door. Then grab the mirror at the other end and slide it off the catches.

Well I have levered, pried, sworn at it and it wont budge. Is there a secret or a method to doing this? Mind is on solid and I dont want to force it as it may crack the glass and that is an expensive replacement.

Anyone removed theirs?

Old 06-07-2015, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

The glass slides away from the car, not towards it and then pull the outer edge out.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts

Just move a mile West from my neighborhood, and I promise your mirror will be removed, as well as the wheels, and interior......Be cool....Mike

Old 06-10-2015, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by frankc
You have to push the glass inwards nearest the door. Then grab the mirror at the other end and slide it off the catches.
I know its supposed to slide towards you but it wont budge. Tried pushing and pulling. Sticking a lever behind it to lever it towards the outside. Tried spraying WD40 etc but the *&&*& wont budge.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,760 Likes on 12,149 Posts

.......... Well I have levered, pried, sworn at it and it wont budge. Is there a secret or a method to doing this? Mind is on solid and I dont want to force it as it may crack the glass and that is an expensive replacement.
I've got to ask .....

If it's not broken, why do you want to remove it?

Graham

Old 06-10-2015, 02:10 PM
Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Normally when you replace wing mirror glass you just put a lever behind the mirror and literally pry it out. Apparently that is not the case with Jag mirrors. You have to push the glass inwards nearest the door. Then grab the mirror at the other end and slide it off the catches.

Well I have levered, pried, sworn at it and it wont budge. Is there a secret or a method to doing this? Mind is on solid and I dont want to force it as it may crack the glass and that is an expensive replacement.

Anyone removed theirs?
See my post No:14 in this thread:https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-glare-115175/

Tells you all you need to know

Steve

Old 06-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
I've got to ask .....

If it's not broken, why do you want to remove it?

Graham
The mirror, as you say, is fine. My mirror memory is just not working so I need to replace the memory/motor behind it. To do that I have to remove the glass.

What I have been trying to do is the bit nearest the car I push forward as far as it will go towards the front of the car.

I then grab the end of the mirror and try and slide it out away from the car.

Having read that other topic about the damaged mirror it sounds like I should be doing the opposite.

Push the mirror bit nearest the car forward towards the front of the car.

Then on the other end I push it in towards the car then pull it outwards?

To dark out there to try it now.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:45 PM
GGG

OK - let's resolve this inside/outside once and for all!

Wing Mirror Glass removal.-xk8-mirror.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Powerfold mirrors? If so, somewhat bizarely the problem could be in the Seat Module. A broken track.

Graham

Old 06-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
OK - let's resolve this inside/outside once and for all!

Attachment 113678
(click on the image to enlarge it)

Powerfold mirrors? If so, somewhat bizarely the problem could be in the Seat Module. A broken track.

Graham
Thanks for the image. Seen it and other versions before... but it still wont move.

As for being in the seat module I am going to take the drivers seat out soon. Is it under there? I am from uk so my drivers seat is on the right. When you say its a broken track you mean a seat track or some other sort?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
GGG

The Seat Module is a rectangular gray plastic box bolted under the front seat. Both driver's and passenger's have them.

By 'track', I mean the narrow strips making connections on the circuit board. With continued flexing, these often crack. They can be repaired by flowing solder across the gap to remake the circuit.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Wing Mirror Glass removal.-11a-passenger-seat-module-cover-removed.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
frankc (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
The Seat Module is a rectangular gray plastic box bolted under the front seat. Both driver's and passenger's have them.

By 'track', I mean the narrow strips making connections on the circuit board. With continued flexing, these often crack. They can be repaired by flowing solder across the gap to remake the circuit.

Graham
Very informative, thank you. You say both seats have them underneath. If I were sitting in the car the mirror on the left is not working. So is the memory box nearest the mirror at fault or just the one under the right hand seat? That would be the passenger seat in the USA and the Drivers seat in the uk.