XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wonder what you guys think a value would be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wonder what you guys think a value would be?

I'm really at a loss here trying to figure out the value of our
XK8. The boss (wife) wants to move up to a newer model and
our 2001 has 151,000 miles, decent condition, fairly
straight body, top works fine, drives and shifts well. We
really don't know much about the car, but I can say it had a
new fuel pump just before we bought it 3 years ago and 130K.
At over 150K, I have to assume that the tensioners and trans
have already been addressed since it's running and driving
well. We bought it with a check engine light that was the
result of a pinched fuel return hose and an ABS light on
that was fixed with a rebuild of the control unit. I'm
guessing the previous owner just gave up after dumping money
in when the lights wouldn't go off. (We bought it from a
used car dealer we have used before who knew very little
about the car.) Like I said, car is nice driver quality
car, good Nexen tires all the way around almost everything
works (pass. seat control is bad), good silver paint, decent
black interior, looks more like an 80K car to me. I'd keep
it forever and drive it, but the boss wants a newer one and
with 11 cars, we just don't have the space. Anybody have
any ideas as to a range for a fair value? (Pic in my profile)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Old 07-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,344 Likes on 725 Posts

Between 10 and $14k. Although it seems the values are starting to pick up a bit.

The following users liked this post:
ra.stewart (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to be a buzz kill but a convertible with that many miles would be hard pressed to get over $8k even if it was immaculate. I just picked up a 2001 black coupe with 62k miles black on black for $9500. I over paid for it but it's exactly what I was looking for and black coupes are much harder to find for sale than silver convertible.

$6-$7k would probably sell pretty quick if it's in really good shape. If it's a 10 footer, $5k

Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 AM

Sorry to be a buzz kill but a convertible with that many miles would be hard pressed to get over $8k even if it was immaculate. I just picked up a 2001 black coupe with 62k miles black on black for $9500. I over paid for it but it's exactly what I was looking for and black coupes are much harder to find for sale than silver convertible.

Do a search on ebay, used completed listings and look at what actually sold. A black 2001 vert with 66000 miles just went for $8k and change.

$6-$7k would probably sell pretty quick if it's in really good shape. If it's a 10 footer, $5k

ra.stewart (07-13-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 AM

Hey, no buzz kill taken! We are in the car pretty cheap and I haven't had to put much in it or do too much in the 3 years we've had it, so I'm not looking to make a mint. It's a 10 footer and I was thinking $5K myself, just wanted some input, you know, if you price it too low it makes people suspicious and I want to be fair. Thanks for your input!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I would agree with mblace. In my opinion reaistically $7K is about market value assuming no wrecks and considering you have no maintenence history.

These cars are relatively rare and there are not a lot around so if you are willing to wait you might get more but if you want to sell in a few weeks I think $7k is about the most you should expect.

By the way what is a "10 footer"?

ra.stewart (07-14-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

10 footer as in it looks great from ten feet away.

ra.stewart (07-15-2014)
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 PM

Thanks for your input. I'm thinking that I'm going to put it on Autotrader for something like 5500 or 5750 to give myself some working room on the price and still keep the asking price under $6K to attract attention.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

While I would tend to agree with Mbalce's price estimate, it's because of the condition the car is in, and because, obviously there is no service history. My 2002 XKR has 150,000 miles on it (90K of which I have put on it), looks like a new car, and has had all of the upgrades done (secondary and primary tensioners, gaskets, convertible hydraulic lines replaced, hydraulic pressure reduction, abs module rebuilt, supercharger rebuilt..........), all of which can be documented. While I wouldn't get the $15000.00 I paid for the car about 5 years ago, I bet I'd get at least $12-13.5. I get asked all the time if I'd be willing to sell it. And the prices of these cars is on the rise with many of the later models listing for prices above those of the 2007's.

If it's a "10 footer" and it has no history, why would anyone buy it when for a couple of thousand dollars more, you could own a car that looks better and has a documented service record that will cost the buyer less in the long run. The reason I bought my car was it's 2" thick file of dealer service invoices, the beautiful condition, and the mileage (62K). It was a "1 footer" then, and is even better now. Having the complete history did not necessarily mean I haven't had to spend a significant amount to keep it running well but it's been well worth it.

And in many ways, I prefer it to my 2010 XKR coupe.

Attached Thumbnails Wonder what you guys think a value would be?-dscf0524-1280x960-.jpg   Wonder what you guys think a value would be?-dscf0522-1280x960-.jpg   Wonder what you guys think a value would be?-dscf1190-1280x960-.jpg  
Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
My 2002 XKR has 150,000 miles on it (90K of which I have put on it), looks like a new car, and has had all of the upgrades done .... I bet I'd get at least $12-13.5. .... If it's a "10 footer" and it has no history, why would anyone buy it when for a couple of thousand dollars more, you could own a car that looks better and has a documented service record that will cost the buyer less in the long run.
Based on what I saw when I was shopping 3 months ago I would say ~13k is pretty much market price for an 4.0 XKR in great shape with all records. Most of those I saw in the shape you describe were asking a little more but had a little less miles.

As for your question who would buy for less, that describes me. I passed on those cars with all records in pristine shape and bought a good loooking (not showrooom) 96k mile XKR with no records for $9150. The reason is $4k is quite a bit less and for me it wasn't worth the extra money. If you are collecting or have a show car it is probably a good idea to pay more for the peice of mind and documentation. But I was buying a cruiser, a convertible fun driver for me and the kids. With kids the interior will never stay in great shape anyhow so depreciation is a given. Price is one of the main reasons I chose the Jag over other models. You can get a lot of car for the money and at this price it is almost disposable. If I drive it for a year and a half and then have a catastrophic failure which would be costly to repair I'll part it out and buy something else (or maybe buy another XKR). With $9k in the most I can lose is $9k and probably a lot less. The only way I really lose big time is if something costly fails in the short term before I can get a few thousand dollars use out of it. Although that might be less likely with a well documented car it is still not very likely on any modern car and on the flip side I would have to drive it for a lot longer to get the extra $4k out of it if I bought a "better" car to start with.

It is all good though, not saying this is the right decision for everyone but I think it was for me.

ra.stewart (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM

Well, there is a car for everybody. We've purchased quite a few cars that were not well documented for minimal dollars and had pretty good luck so far. My line of thinking on this car when we bought it was at 130K, it still ran well, shifted smooth and nothing out of the exhaust. It pulled strong, didn't have any leaks, no rattles from the engine, looked presentable and was priced well. If it had not had the needed service in 130K, the trans would be likely laying on the ground along with the timing chain. We've been so happy with it she now wants the low mileage, documented car, so I think our initial investment was a good one. I also think that for the $5-6K I'm beginning to think is the fair range, it could be a good buy compared to everything else in that price range. What is that kind of money going to buy that has style and the top goes down? A high mileage, rode hard Mustang/Camaro/old Vette, soul-less Miata? Nice Camry or Accord with 120K? Hard to believe but that kind of money doesn't buy much these days...

Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Think the market is much stronger for XKRs vs XK8s as well. Book value is close to same but real world seems to be a $2k uplift for Supercharged cars. 10 years ago people were leery of Jaguar s/c and the n/a seemed to sell easier and higher. Today, horsepower is were it's at - more the better.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Unless a prospective buyer for your Jag is a Jag enthusiast not blinded by the usually wrong assumption that Jags, even low mileage ones, are unreliable cars your odometer to the average buyer looking for a 'pretty' car will likely be viewed as a steer clear sign. Not having reams of service history isn't going to help in finding your car a new home either.
It's getting better but most people today (typically not car people) think mileage above 60K is the gateway to automotive failure. $5 - $6K for a nice but not perfect 2001 XK8 buys a whole lot of car. Get your car professionally detailed (you only get one shot at a first impression) and set your asking price in the low $6,000.00 price range. Depending on your rush to sell, a well advertised XK8 [even one with big miles] will find a new owner who's shopping for exactly 'your' car. Don't be perceived as a seller in a hurry and for goodness sake skip the BS of "motivated seller" in any print ad.
RB

ra.stewart (07-16-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by East Haddam
$5 - $6K for a nice but not perfect 2001 XK8 buys a whole lot of car. RB
I couldn't agree more! Like I said for that money what else can you get? I'm looking for someone just like we were 3 years ago, wanting to try one out with minimal risk.

Get your car professionally detailed (you only get one shot at a first impression) and set your asking price in the low $6,000.00 price range.RB
Definitely on the detail, I'm still thinking of staying under the $6K mark might help, but that then limits the amount I'd want to dicker.

Depending on your rush to sell, a well advertised XK8 [even one with big miles] will find a new owner who's shopping for exactly 'your' car. Don't be perceived as a seller in a hurry and for goodness sake skip the BS of "motivated seller" in any print ad.
RB
Yeah, nothing says desperation like "motivated seller". That says "I'm trying to get rid of this thing before it costs me another dime". I hate that even more than "OBO"! In my experience the "runs til it sells" option with Autotrader is always money well spent. Maybe I'll start at something like $6295, I can always drop the price if there is no action. We are in no rush to sell, but I would like to see it with a new owner in time for them to cruise through the Pocono Mountains and watch the leaves change color. We spent the day that way last fall and it was amazing.

Thanks for your input!