XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 Convertible door window problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XK8 Convertible door window problem

I have a 2000 xk8 convertable and started having problems with my door windows. Before when I would open the door latch the window would go down an inch to clear the top then back up when the door closed as it should.

Now the window goes down but does not go back up when the door is closed. Also each time you open the door latch the window goes down a little bit more everytime the latch is activated.

Has anyone had this problem or know what the problem is?

Thanks

bcucharternet

Last edited by GGG; 04-15-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

This is a common problem and is usually a sign of a failing battery. How old is the present battery?

Old 12-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

+1 on the battery. You will need to reset the windows. It is done by the following steps.
Raise the window to full close and continue holding the button to close for a few seconds. You should here a faint click.
Then lower the window and again continue holding the button until you here the faint click.
The windows are now reset. They lose thier position each time the battery voltage is low on start up.

The following users liked this post:
Truck Graphics (12-15-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What brand battery to get for 2000 xk8

Thank you both for your help regarding my door window problem. What is the preferred battery for a 2000 xk8? I have an Exide Driver's Edge in my car now which is a reasonable long battery.

Thanks again

bcucharternet

Last edited by bcucharternet; 12-14-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:47 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Since you have already read the latest post regarding battery replacement (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...stions-193612/), there isn't much more that I can add. Cold Cranking Amps is probably the most important factor. Brand names are usually just that.

If you are not going to be driving your car on a regular basis, then I would suggest a battery charger/maintainer (CTEK is a popular brand). The memory functions on these cars are notorious for draining batteries.

Stu

Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi guys

I know this is an old thread but I have the same problem as BCU Charternet, so I changed the battery, unfortunately the same problem persisted, so I changed out the drivers side window switch module pack ( the two switches and mirror control pack) and the same issue? So a bit stumped, could it be a wiring issue or pin connector on the module pack plug? As the window will only go up I can reset the top but not the bottom reset!!

Any help would be grateful

yours

Garry

Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,417 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Maybe Common problem on old cars

It’s maybe not just a failing battery. When cars get old corrosion sets in on the battery cables. Any yellow colour signs need cleaning. 12V isn’t a lot so any loss will affect things. Take off both cables and clean contact surfaces thoroughly with diamond/grit paper until shiney and new looking. Spray contact surfaces with electrical contact cleaner (not WD40).

Old 04-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

Could be a failed door latch assembly microswitch. I experienced similar behavior in my wife's 2006 XK8 along with some intermittent door lock problems. A new microswitch fixed it....

See my thread entitled "Drivers Door Handle / Door Lock Problem...." Be sure to read the entire thread. Lots of information there including the exact new microswitch to order, where to get it, and exactly how to remove the old one and install the new one....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-15-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Could be a failed door latch assembly microswitch. I experienced similar behavior in my wife's 2006 XK8 along with some intermittent door lock problems. A new microswitch fixed it....

See my thread entitled "Drivers Door Handle / Door Lock Problem...." Be sure to read the entire thread. Lots of information there including the exact new microswitch to order, where to get it, and exactly how to remove the old one and install the new one....
HI Jon

thank you for your reply, I went through your entire thread, very helpful especially the last section btw. I am not sure that I have the same fault though? My drivers door window only refuses to go down, when I open the door the 'door open' message is displayed the red door light come on and everything activates, lights etc. The door opens using the key and on global opening the window will go down but wont go up on global closing!! The opposite of the switch. I am a bit stumped, I have changed the battery, cleaned the terminals, checked it was all tight, replaced the window switch pack with a brand new one. The new window switch works to go up as did the old one. A strange fault is that I can open the window by repeatedly opening/activating the door handle from the inside, the window drops and then will continue to drop every time I open the door until it fully opens so I presume the motor assembly and the wiring are intact from the door handle which leaves the wiring from the switch pack to the window mechanism/motor or that the brand new switch had the same fault as the old one which I doubt. I am going through your thread again in case i missed anything.

best regards

Garry

Old 04-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,275 Likes on 2,812 Posts

I still believe that your door latch assembly microswitch is probably the culprit. It can cause various types of incorrect door lock and door window behavior, including what you described as the window going up or down in small increments when you pull on and then release the door handle. We saw that happen on my wife's car when we attempted to re-bend the Omron microswitch's metal arm in the passenger door latch assembly when we were working on the car back on April 4th. One thing we definitely learned is that when these microswitches get flaky, the door locks and windows can behave in multiple strange ways. If you have not replaced your door latch assembly microswitch yet, I would consider doing that as a next step....

It has been 15 days since Wayne (cjd777) and I finished the door latch microswitch job in my wife's 2006 XK8. Both door locks and both windows continue to function 100% normally now....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-19-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi,
When I got my XKR a couple of months ago the both windows were not functioning correctly.
Driver’s side was easier; there was not door open message, so I changed microswitch and it started to work.
Passanger side was trickier; it did exactly same you discribed. I did same checks and finally figured out it’s either door module or window motor position sensor output. I took a risk and ordered new ((used) door module from Autoreserve Jaguar UK and it fixed the problem.

Jyrki

Old 04-19-2019, 02:55 PM

Thanks Jon and Jyrki

I just did a battery reset and the part about using the handle to open the window no longer happens, but it still wont roll down. I have asked Dodgeboy if he has both the module and the mechanism available from his XK8. I will look at the microswitch part number from your earlier post Jon. One thing is on the XJ8 forum they seem to have had success with pulling the *15 fuse that controls the door module and replacing it. Does anyone know what the comparable fuse is on an XK8? I am looking now but any help appreciated.

cheers all

Garry

Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This is my left side (passanger in RHD) fascia fuse box. The door module fuse is 25A (left side, third from down) I used it to cut power from module when working hands inside door, so I didn’t have to remove battery cable all the time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jyuu:
cjd777 (04-27-2019), gvs1047 (04-26-2019)
Old 04-26-2019, 05:47 PM

thank you Jyuu

Old 04-29-2019, 02:31 PM
Default Fixed window issue 97 XK8

the green wire looks to be torn in two

the others just 'gnawed on'
I took the door apart yesterday and the photos show what I found, I had one cut wire and 3 with stripped insulation, it looks like it must have got tangled in the window mechanism and eventually tore one wire in two! I tried looking for a dead mouse but couldn't see one! Once connected and taped up it all now works. When you re-insert the looms from the two connectors they do run really close to the window mechanism, reaching up and around I found some sticky tape that looked like it may have given way over time, I duck taped it back against the door inner and it all seems in good order. Window goes down using the switch and global opening/closing. I wouldn't have had the confidence to go in without this forum and having the window mechanism and module from Dodge Boy (Scott) and the fuse trick from Jyuu so thanks everybody for helping out! GVS

The following users liked this post:
volkris (04-30-2019)