XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK8 rear bumper adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default XK8 rear bumper adjustment

My 1998 XK8 needs a slight rear bumper adjustment.
Has anyone had to adjust their rear bumper?
It looks like the previous owner caught a high curb or something with the rear bumper and pulled it toward the rear slightly.
It's not damaged at all, just needs to be adjusted forward so that it lines up properly with the wheel wells and the plastic rivets under the trunk lid aren't quite so visible.
I looked and didn't see any bolts that would allow adjustment.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave B.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 PM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

The Rear Bumper is adjustable for height so that it sits flush with the rear body panels with the Bolt /Spacer (items 5 and 6) but very little can be done to correct front to rear alignment.

Here's the listing from the Parts Catalogue. The main adjustment is on the Guide Block (item 8):

XK8 rear bumper adjustment-xk8-rear-bumper.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

The procedure for refitting the Rear Bumper details adjustment:

XK8 rear bumper adjustment-bumper-1.jpg
XK8 rear bumper adjustment-bumper-2.jpg
XK8 rear bumper adjustment-bumper-3.jpg

(click on each image to enlarge it)

If it's much out of alignment, the Beam or Strut could have been damaged by impact.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 09-04-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Here are the removal/installation procedures from JTIS hope this helps

removal

THE REAR BUMPER IS CLOSE TO THE EXHAUST PIPES WHICH MAY BE HOT. CARE MUST THEREFORE BE EXERCISED WHEN WORKING IN THIS VICINITY.

Position vehicle on a 4-post ramp with parking brake on and raise ramp to working height.

Remove rear wheel arch liners and side marker bulb holders.

Slacken and remove rear wheel arch liner plastic nut and remove liner from wheel arch.On N. American vehicles, rotate side marker bulb holder 1/4 turn, withdraw from lamp and ensure that leads are free from bumper.
Repeat operations on opposite side of vehicle.
Reposition the telephone antenna.

Remove and discard the retaining rivet.
Remove and discard the wiring harness tie wraps. Disconnect the reversing aid electrical connectors.
One connector shown, remaining connectors similar.
Separate bumper from supports.
Slacken and remove bolts securing beam to support brackets (menasco struts on N. American market vehicles). Remove rear bumper from vehicle.With assistance, slide bumper assembly rearwards off guide blocks, holding it clear of the exhaust trims.

Remove bumper cover from beam.Position bumper for access to the nine cover to beam fasteners, remove center pin from each fastener and remove and discard all fasteners.

Installation:
Fit cover to bumper beam.With assistance, position bumper beam in cover, aligning fastener locating holes.Fit nine new fasteners and center pins.

Position bumper on vehicle.
-With assistance, align bumper cover side armatures with guide blocks.
-Slide bumper assembly forward holding it clear of the exhaust trims. Fit and hand tighten beam securing bolts.

Adjust bumper to body clearance.
-Rotate adjuster spacers to achieve required clearance between bumper and body rear upper panel.
-Tighten beam securing bolts.

Check and adjust fender to bumper clearance.
-Check clearance between lower rear fenders and bumper cover, and adjust to 4 to 6mm as necessary by slackening guide block securing nuts, positioning bumper and re-tightening nuts.

Fit wheel arch liners and side marker bulb holders.
-Position rear wheel arch liner, fit securing nut and tighten.
-Fit bulb holder to side marker lamp and rotate 1/4 turn.
-Repeat on opposite side of vehicle.

Fit the telephone antenna.
-Fit new the retaining rivet.
-Fit new wiring harness tie wraps.

Connect the reversing aid electrical connectors.
-One connector shown, remaining connectors similar.

Lower the 4-post ramp.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Graham, Steve,
Thanks very much.
I'll se if loosening the Strut bolts will give me some slack, enough to adjust the bumper in a little.
Dave B.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The Rear Bumper is adjustable for height so that it sits flush with the rear body panels with the Bolt /Spacer (items 5 and 6) but very little can be done to correct front to rear alignment.

Here's the listing from the Parts Catalogue. The main adjustment is on the Guide Block (item 8):

Attachment 53356

The procedure for refitting the Rear Bumper details adjustment:

Attachment 53357
Attachment 53358
Attachment 53359

(click on each image to enlarge it)

If it's much out of alignment, the Beam or Strut could have been damaged by impact.

Graham
Graham:

Some help please. I have to change out my bumper beam on the rear. In doing so I am purchasing all the bit and pieces. I have a used cover, used bumper struts (North America) but need to acquire the bolts and nuts that fasten the struts to the beam. what part number are these. They do not appear to be items you have mentioned.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Here's the Parts Catalogue extract for the USA energy absorbing rear bumper assembly:

XK8 rear bumper adjustment-xk8-rear-bumper.jpg

Is it item 5 you need?

Our European bumpers don't have energy absorbing struts. The support bracket is a fibreglass/alumninium composite construction and the Bumper Beam is plastic with embedded brass securing nuts for the equivalent of item 5.

I haven't seen a USA Bumper Beam but it must have the securing nuts for item 5 fixed in the Beam?

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Rezzz (11-01-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Here's the Parts Catalogue extract for the USA energy absorbing rear bumper assembly:

Attachment 98024

Is it item 5 you need?

Our European bumpers don't have energy absorbing struts. The support bracket is a fibreglass/alumninium composite construction and the Bumper Beam is plastic with embedded brass securing nuts for the equivalent of item 5.

I haven't seen a USA Bumper Beam but it must have the securing nuts for item 5 fixed in the Beam?

Graham
It may be but when I attempted to remove it with a wrench on one end and an industrial air driven gun on the other it only rotated about 3/4 turn then refuses to budge beyond that.The aluminum beam has delaminated badly at the bolt sleeve and the bolt heads are rusted considerably. I assume dielectric action has occurred between the two dissimilar materials. I checked with the SNG catalog and their diagram matches yours but indicates a spacer and a bolt. I wish someone who has taken this apart could clarify what the North American assembly is.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by GGG

Attachment 98024

Is it item 5 you need?

Graham

Thanks again Graham that was the right bolt !