XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XKR rear knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XKR rear knocking

I have a 2002 XKR which is making a variety of noises at the back - from a low level rattling like a loose exhaust (its not) and a scraping/louder bump like a broken shock absorber.

A local garage and can't find anything obvious, they thought it was due to un-greased UVs on the driveshafts.

Could it be the subframe bushes?

Any help/advice most welcome.

Steve

Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steve,

I've moved your question from UK Region section to the XK8/XKR section. You'll get more responses here from members with the same model.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advcie about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 05-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Wrong forum.. he wants the pre-2006 model forum.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the move and advice Graham. I'm new to forums so navigating around at the moment is a bit of a problem for me.

Steve

Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveTas
Thanks for the move and advice Graham. I'm new to forums so navigating around at the moment is a bit of a problem for me.

Steve
What about the silencer? exhaust silencer in the back, any parts moving inside?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Provided you've absolutely eliminated silencers (rubber mountings / loose baffles) and shock absorbers, a regular wear item is the A Frame Bushes (RH circled in red):

As your are in the UK, there's a number of sources for exchange A Frames complete with new bushes fitted.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails XKR rear knocking-xk8-rear-suspension.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 05-28-2013 at 04:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Blue Jag G (06-02-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 AM
Default Rear knocking

Thanks very much Graham, that's really helpful. I think its those bushes rather than shocks but its going up on a ramp this morning!

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2013, 04:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Shock absorber lower bush is the most common.
You can't feel any play.
Put your hand on the bush and get someone to bounce the car.
If you feel a click the bush has gone.
There's a thread on replacement in the HOW-TO's

The following 2 users liked this post by steveinfrance:
Blue Jag G (06-02-2013), SteveTas (05-28-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

My XK8 has a terrible rattle from the rear end on rough roads, it was so loud it was embarrasing. I rebuilt the rear suspension including new springs and bushes etc, checked the exhaust system, parking brake cables, body fixings. Nothing fixed it and it was driving me crazy. Then I noticed the rattle stopped when braking slightly, and driving along with one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator proved it.....

My brake pads were rattling in the calipers, because they are supposed to have a spring clip on the inboard pad that located inside the brake piston. I only noticed this after seeing a diagram of XK8 pads showing the spring. New correct type pads with spring clips fixed my rattle, but at least I now know that I have a good rebuilt rear end.

Maybe the noise from duff bushes would be more of a knock than a rattle.

The following users liked this post:
volkris (09-01-2019)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Default Knocking update

We found out yesterday that the wheel refurbishment person had put the wheels on back to front so the front wheels were on the rear and being narrower were catching on the bodywork when going over rough roads! We were lucky not to have been injured as the tyres were 5 mms from catching on the A frame.

They are now back where they should be so the big noise has gone leaving me with the original rattle.

Thanks for all your advice. I'm getting new A frame bushes, new tracking bolt assemblies and hopefully lower shock absorber bushes and I'll also check the brake pads.

At least we are narrowing down the issue, will keep you posted!

Steve

Old 06-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Mine is the same, and I was thinking of doing this...

Old 06-15-2013, 04:15 AM
Smile Knocking update

Just thought I'd update you on progress. I had the a-frame and lower shock absorber bushes replaced along with the toe-ing adjustment bolts either side. No joy.

Now ordered two new adaptive shock absorbers as the noise seems to be coming from inside both rear shocks (and there is a slight clicking on the drivers side front - but that can wait)

Then had all four wheels aligned.

In the meantime the engine management light came on the dash - once checked there was no problem, and now I have a low coolant light on, but I don't have low coolant.

I thought only Italian super cars were this fragile!

Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM
Default Solved - probably...

Just thought to update this thread. We changed the adaptive shocks (bought from David Manners in the West Mids at a very good price) and the rattle has gone.

The low coolant light was fixed by taking off the expansion tank and loosening the float inside.

I also learned how to reset the windows if they don't rise and fall as they should when you open and close the doors. With the ignition on, press both switches at the same time so the windows go fully down - you'll hear a click, then close them holding both switches together until they get to the top - you'll hear another click.

Two jobs to do - fix a slow air leak in the offside rear wheel - a new BBS valve needed, then I'll have the drivers seat out for refurbishment.

Its a real pleasure to own this car despite the work needed and sometimes feeling that one thing follows another! On a 200 + mile run on Sunday in the sunshine, plenty of admiring looks (and one wave) and nearly 25 mpg average!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Thanks for the follow up, i was a little worried you were throwing expensive shocks at the problem,glad they were the cause after all.