S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Question S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!

Hey Guys, Im getting ready to do a rear brake job on my S Type R. brakingperformance.com has the stuff at a super great price at what seems to be factory spec. From lots of other threads Ive seen several people recommend them here so Im giving them a shot. Im just going to go with their semi-metallic pads and plain rotors. This is for 2 main reasons, they need to match the look of the fronts, and because the car is for sale. I plan to order the parts this week and do it next weekend sometime probably.

My questions are: What parts and tools do I need to do the job besides the actual rotors n pads? Ive done brake jobs before but its been a while and I havent done one on this car.

Where are the Jack Points on it?

Summerized step by step approach to it?

Please try not to laugh too much, im a pretty smart guy jsut not overly mechaincally inclined

Thanks as always! -Erik

Old 04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need a Brake Piston Compression Tool!
(If you don't have, Autozone or PepBoys can rent you a set for a small deposit & fee)

The piston gets turned to the right to compress. However, be certain NOT to compress the piston TOO FAR into its cylinder as you might blow the seal!!!

You MUST hold the Park Brake Switch DOWN (in its release position) as you turn the key to the OFF position else the Park Brake will Automatically engage & you'll NEVER get the pad bracket to swing off the rotor.

Jack points; you'll find them when you're down there. YOU MUST CHOCK THE FRONT WHEELS & USE JACK STANDS! When working in the floor I ALWAYS use a 3-TON SET!!! SAFETY 1st..........

Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Ummmm, a few good pointers their.

With the park brake hold the brake switch down then switch off AND remove the key. This will stop the brake coming on.

Presume you have the Brembos so it really is a nice straight forward job. With reagrds to a compression tool, don't waist your money you do not need one. the 4 pistons in each caliper push back very easily by hand (just make sure that when you push one the others do not move out!!) if they are stiff then you have problems!!! When i done mine the pins needed a fair amount of persuasion to come out courtesy of a punch and hammer (two pins for the main caliper and two for the park brake caliper. Also the park brake caliper is would CLOCKWISE in and i just used some needle nose pliers which worked absolutely fine.

As said don't forget to chock the wheels and always use axle stands (unless you can bench 2.5 tons!!!)

Damien.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

For a rear jack point the center chunk of the rear axle is probably the best spot.. I was about to do the backs on my car, but I haven't been able to find the parking brake pads on the internet..were you able to find them? or are you leaving them alone? Eric

Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Thanks.........
Yeah, that park brake tip comes in handy, uh?
If he has the single piston units he will need the tool! It's worth $17 to have on hand just in case. Save him a trip after the wheels are off the car.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member

So far so good guys keep the advice coming

Eric, I planned to not touch the parking brake pads as I doubt they can be really worn out. I prob should have asked my fav tech ( at the dealer, lol@ apossible comment from some1here) though thanks for the jack point tip too

Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Default Re: Park Brake Check (Simple)

Remember this IS NOT AN ABSOLUTE VERIFICATION of the condition of the Park Brake Shoes but an easy way to test them is as follows:
1) Car parked on LEVEL GROUND (Also best to have assistant to help stop car just in case)
2) Key On Engine Off
3) Park Brake Engaged
4) Shifter Placed in Neutral
5) Try to roll the car in both directions. If you can't then they're probably okay unless you park on steep inclines.

As you plan to sell the vehicle you are OBLIGATED for safety reasons to inform the buyer that the EMERGENCY BRAKES NEED to be checked if not replaced. Just as you inform them of the recent brake service you HAVE performed. Considering the possibility of their steep hill parking!!

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Great tips about shutting down the Park Brake to allow for rear pad replacement, and also about testing how well the Park Brake is doing its job. Thanks to all that have contributed in this thread - it will help any S-Type rear brake job go a lot smoother and faster. I made some quick notes and filed them away in my S-Type maintenance folder for when it's time for me to replace the rear pads on our 2005 S-Type....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-28-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

TBJCC: thanks for being so concerned, as it was at the dealer just last week getting serviced and how I learned about my rear brakes im sure my tech checked them (a fellow styper owner) but i did your test just to be safe and my car didnt budge at all

Thanks to everyone else too, how does $190 including shipping for both rear rotors n pads sound?

Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Update: I got them ordered last Friday and they were shipped the same day, I should have them by Thursday according to my UPS tracking number. Hopefully, Ill have time to get to them this weekend. I plan to take pictures as well at least of the product when I get it if not the installation process for others

Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Great tips about shutting down the Park Brake to allow for rear pad replacement, and also about testing how well the Park Brake is doing its job. Thanks to all that have contributed in this thread - it will help any S-Type rear brake job go a lot smoother and faster. I made some quick notes and filed them away in my S-Type maintenance folder for when it's time for me to replace the rear pads on our 2005 S-Type....
Umm the R is the only s type with separate parking brake. The standard cars use the rear discs as the parking brake. The str uses a different setup than the conventional cars.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,276 Likes on 2,813 Posts

So with a 3.0, you do not have to hold the Park Brake switch down and then turn off the ignition and remove the key in order to be able to remove the rear brake pads?

I presume you've replaced your rear brakes so you can confirm this?

Old 05-06-2009, 02:29 PM
Veteran member

Yes you do, but I figured that was common knowledge. It's been posted on every "brake" thread I've seen. My comment is based on the fact that the str has a separate set of pads and hardware for the parking brake. And yes, I've done all 4. Posted a thread about it as well.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

What is being asked here is it a mechanical parking brake VS. electronic parking brake.
My 01 3.0 stype had a mechanical brake that when released allowed me to remove the caliper and pads.
My 06 STR has an electronic parking brake that must be held down when shut off to stop the brake from engaging.
So we must determine which year of car we are talking about when doing rear brakes.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by MyBlackCat
What is being asked here is it a mechanical parking brake VS. electronic parking brake.
My 01 3.0 stype had a mechanical brake that when released allowed me to remove the caliper and pads.
My 06 STR has an electronic parking brake that must be held down when shut off to stop the brake from engaging.
So we must determine which year of car we are talking about when doing rear brakes.
The '03 refresh is when the electronic parking brake became standard on all Lincoln LS and Jaguar S Type models. Also, the first year for the STR, therefore all STR's have an electronic parking brake. The major difference with the STR that drove discussion is the fact that the STR actually has a second caliper and pads for the parking brake, at least when the Brembo brakes are fitted, therefore the parking brake doesn't need to be deactivated to change pads only but will need to be deactivated to replace the rotors.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default More info on Rear Brembo STR replacement

Thanx for all the posted helpful tips. Here's is what I just found changing them. I replaced my front rotors and pads. I have a 2005 STR with Brembo calipers. Front's are easy. The hard part is breaking loose the bolts, etc. Arkobono pads are great so far, no noise no dust.
Now this weekend I palnned my rear. My car has 45k, the rear discs looked bad and machined with scratches. I knew my pads were low. The rear Brembo are almost exact for replacement as the front, but smaller pads. The issue is that I assumed my parking/emergancy brakes were fine so after I changed the rotor I put the parking brake caliper but on. Mistake. CHECK YOUR PARKING BRAKES. The dealer didn't say a thing while in for a oil change and warranty work. They were GONE! I've added pictures. I lost a new rotor because of them. So now, today, I picked up the parking brembo pads from the dealer for $121 ouch!
Now that caliper is not the same, the tips here were VERY helpful! The tip about spinning the pistin to the right and being able to use needle nose pliers to turn it really helped. I now have new discs and brakes all around for 1/4 the dealer cost!

Last edited by chrislynn5; 10-26-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Ouch that looks painful, I'm about to do semi metallic pads on all six calipers since NAPA does sell the parking brake in semi metallics. I was hoping to find the EPB pads in ceramic but I can't find a manufacture that has them all matching in ceramic

Old 10-26-2010, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
Ouch that looks painful, I'm about to do semi metallic pads on all six calipers since NAPA does sell the parking brake in semi metallics. I was hoping to find the EPB pads in ceramic but I can't find a manufacture that has them all matching in ceramic
Why do you want the emergency pads to be the same material as the others?

Thanks for the tip about NAPA having the E pads.

Part #?

Bob S.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 801 Likes on 669 Posts

The STR rear parking brake pads are hard to find anywhere but the dealer. I did find them for about $80 on Rock Auto.

I release the parking brake differently. I just shut the car off in gear. This makes sure the parking brake is not partially applied. The electronic parking brake can be applied while the car is moving BUT Jaguar was smart and it only partially applies with one pull. Multiple pulls on the switch will apply the parking brakes more and more.

I have always been able to get the calibration back and shut off the error light by just applying the parking brake multiple times. It seems to find a comfortable spot with use.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

I've seen them on ebay - but I was only looking at UK sellers.

Quick Reply: S Type R Rear Brake Job: Help Please!