X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No sound anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 05:22 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default No sound anymore!

• Can anyone tell me if the audio unit pictured here somewhere ( if I can attach it properly) is merely the control head for a remote or separate amp, or is an all-in-one tuner/pre-amp/amp unit. It is installed in an '02 X-Type with a 6 CD changer in the boot. For a while now, only the right channel (front and rear) operated, but now even that side is only a muffled noise at even the highest volume setting. The display operates perfectly.

Attached Files
File Type: zip
Radio.zip (1.76 MB, 139 views)
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM

Maybe this will work better

Attached Thumbnails No sound anymore!-radio-2.jpg  
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Robert, the head unit has the amp built into it. So, all of your power is in 1 spot.

As for your issue, I would try to find a spare speaker somewhere (borrow from a friend?) and connect it in place of one of your factory speakers. Does the sound come out of that speaker? If yes, then you have bad speakers. If no, then your head unit is dead and you need to replace it.

Because you have a separate head unit and A/C control unit, going with a new radio is probably the better choice all the way around. There are lots of options and then you can get some of the functions that you may be wanting.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I had a customer that wanted a new radio because the only sound was from the tweeters. I had a spare speaker and tried it in several doors so we ended up replacing the speakers instead of the radio. I guess the teenage son blew out the speakers all at once????

bob gauff

Old 10-07-2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks Thermo, and MCM. I have already eliminated the speakers as the problem, and I guess I will try and find a replacement that doesn't do too much 'violence' to the dash.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 AM

This particular car (my sister's) has a sub-woofer on the rear parcel shelf, which means (I think) that is the 'premium sound' version, as opposed to the one in my '03 which only has the speakers in the doors. Again, I thought that the 'premium sound' version had a separate amp, which may be located remote from the head in the dash. Could it be in the trunk?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The premium audio system has an amp mounted in the sub box, located under the parcel shelf. All speaker wiring runs from the head unit to the speaker sets (mids/tweeters) and also tee to the amp. Before changing out the head unit, you might want pull the door panels (cards) and check the speakers. These are notorious for magnets falling off the poles (I've had 2 so far). They are simply glued on from the factory and eventually drop off into the bottom of the door. The only saving grace is that, being magnets, they don't rattle!
I've been collecting bits and pieces to completely redo my stock audio because even with the 'Premium' moniker, it leaves a lot to be desired.....particularly the dropping magnets! Good luck!

Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Thanks PreJag and all; I was pretty sure from my home-theatre experience that the sub would have an amp somewhere. The wiring diagram that I accessed from the FAQ section doesn't exactly show it, but the teeing in of the speakers to the sub makes no sense unless there's and amp of some sort lurking there. It would seem to make a good central test point to check the output from the head to each speaker. I would agree on the "premium" comment; even when it was working, it was hardly superior to the "standard" system in my '03, and neither one exactly 'blew my doors off', so to speak

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

>These are notorious for magnets falling off the poles (I've had 2 so far).

I see said the blind man...

I just asked a question (on another thread) about three of my Premium system speakers stopping working. It's at the dealer right now. I'll be very interested to discover what they find.

But, I'm glad a have a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Just heard back from my dealer, they are ordering 3 replacement speakers for my car and my Ford warranty is going to pay for them. I guess that means that the amp/head-unit are ok. Seems like the Advent speakers are prone to certain failures.

Oh, and when the car was in they must have done some sort of standard inspection because they told me that the bushing on both my front and rear sway bars needed replacing, but that Ford was going to cover the cost. :-)
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 01-31-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Go Mudhens!!!!!!!!!!

dwidman, when you say amp, external amp or the internal amp to the radio? If you are referring to the internal amp of the radio, then odds are you are looking at a new radio for in the dash as it will be cheaper to get a new radio installed than to try and get that one fixed (unless you bought a $1000+ radio, even then it could be a toss up). If you are talking about an external amp, then I would first check to make sure that you are getting 12VDC to the remote terminal on the amp. Secondly, I would then verify that you have 12 VDC on the input power. If you have both of those, then you are back to either a bad radio (blown RCA amp) or a bad set of RCAs.

P.S. I grew up in Swanton. So, I am a Buckeye at heart.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Dwidman, I'm not sure if this would be applicable in your situation, but I thought I would mention it. I have the premium audio in mine and one time my son borrowed my car and after a day said the stereo just stopped working. Everything "looked" normal, but no sound at all. It turned out to be a fiber optic cable had come loose. Plugged it back in and life has been good ever since. The cable is under the left side of the dash. He probably caught it getting in or out of the car as he is pretty big and it's kind of a tight squeeze for him. If you look in that area it will be pretty apparent if that cable is out as well as where it should be plugged back in.Good luck.