Diagnosing a possibly faulty battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing a possibly faulty battery

Hi

Just looking for some advice

Car in question is a 2010 Jaguar XJ 5.0 SS

The battery has always been a bit 'odd' and weak, it would always start fine but sometimes after just a short while of sitting with the doors open (engine off) cleaning the car etc you'd get a battery low warning on the screen.

We just put it down to there being a lot of electronics and also it seems like a somewhat common problem on XJ forums.

Car is usually on a trickle charger for this reason. At the weekend it was taken off charge, driven 200 miles, parked overnight (off charge) and driven back and left off charge as it was to be used again today.

Today it started fine at home, but then when getting to the destination about 60 miles away it would not start when leaving. Required a jump start.

That seems very odd to me, as if it was not going to start (due to being off charge), you'd expect it to happen here at home where it had been parked since the weekend, not AFTER the journey of around 60 miles.

Does it sound like it needs a new battery and how can I check this? I have a multimeter. Or could it be something else draining the battery - but nothing has changed with the car and no electronic things have been messed around with or installed either so that would be odd if that's the issue.

Bit of extra info, the car was recently with a detailer who ignored the low battery warning (had the car for a few days parked) and it was completely 100% dead, no electrics whatsoever. He got it running again with a jump start.

Thanks!

EDIT: Anyone know if a battery replacement on this car is a dealer job? I know some cars are funny with things like this and require certain things to be done at a dealer for a battery change. Or can it be a simple DIY swap?

Last edited by JAG_XJ; 09-27-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Has anyone checked the charging system to be sure it functions correctly?

With the ignition in the off position, there should be at least 12.2 volts across the battery terminals. If not, the battery must be replaced.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
Has anyone checked the charging system to be sure it functions correctly?

With the ignition in the off position, there should be at least 12.2 volts across the battery terminals. If not, the battery must be replaced.
The charger has a self-check and the lights on it won't move along to the next stage if it isn't working correctly. It is a well known brand CTEK

I will check the voltage to see what the situation is. I will also see what it is after a charge and then take it off charge for a few days and check again.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

I meant the vehicle charging system, not the maintainer device.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:59 AM

Ahh OK

I've just been told running voltage should be about 14.5v with the engine on which can then confirm that the alternator is OK.

Will check it when I get a moment

Old 09-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

If your battery is the original one, then it's at least 6 years old and it's time for a new battery. You can DIY but may have to reset the radio and other settings. See your Owners Handbook.

The following users liked this post:
JAG_XJ (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Yeah I believe it is the original battery

Not sure what you mean about resetting the radio? But I will take a look at the manual.

14.5/14.6 when running. So that points to battery being at fault then.

Anyone with a bit more knowledge help me in choosing a new one?

Current one says 800AMPS and 90Ah

What are the main differences between these two??

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ja...70aee37&000020

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Ja...b59ea3c&000020

Old 09-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

You will need an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) Battery that has a vent to connect the vent tube to.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Thanks for confirming XJsss

I assume (fairly confident) that a higher AH rating won't be a problem.

Have you by any chance got experience with changing the battery and if anything needs sorting by a dealer afterwards? All I can find online is mention of possibly needing to reset the one touch windows by a simple procedure

Old 09-27-2016, 02:48 PM

Should just point out (in case it makes a difference) the current battery does not seem to be an AGM? And the car does NOT have start stop, think it was just before they added that feature

The current is a 4r83-10655-ca

Google seems to show it is made by Varta (despite being stickered as Jaguar)

Old 09-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 413 Posts

Jag-XJ there are others that have more experience in battery replacement than I as I am still on my original main battery.and I'm sure they will contribute to this thread later on in the day.

The following users liked this post:
JAG_XJ (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:05 PM

OK no worries thanks for the help so far anyway!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi JAG XJ, I had a similar problem a few months ago, just bought the car in July, and got it home, took my time to detail it, 4 days with doors open and boot up > flat battery! What I found was this : Original battery is a VARTA but labeled Jaguar. If its not the stop start you do not need the AGM battery, its not an original fitment on the car, it does have the discharge pipe to remove gasses from the boot though as it is a lead acid type. To charge from completely flat for me took two days with a 4amp inteli charger, it had no dials just led indicators when charged and at what stage the process was in. I have been told when a battery is completely flat like mine was it will never be the same again. Mine is six years old and I am looking for a new one purely as I do not want to be in the position of being " caught out ". Looking over threads on the subject it may help to turn the auto lights and wipers to OFF, has helped a few people in the past. Also to charge the battery from flat I was advised to do it off the car. You will find the windows do not need resetting but the clock and the sun roof will need attention. If you are buying a new battery try and get one with a four or five years g/tee, and look on other sites for a comparison, plenty of decent ones in the U.K. Hope this helps.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all responses

Confirmed with a garage and Jaguar that AGM is not required for my car

Found a garage (local mechanic friend) who can fit a Bosch with 5 year guarantee, fitted price of ~£96 which is cheaper than buying it from Euro Car Parts for the battery alone (even with their current 31% off)

So will go with that. He says there shouldn't be any issues when swapping it over, but obviously if there is then he can deal with them