XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

1996 XJS park brake operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1996 XJS park brake operation

Still trying to sort out my park brake issue. The brake works fine, but the light on the dash always remains illuminated, regardless of whether the brake is engaged or not. I can remove the boot and depress the switch with a finger and the light on the dash goes off.

I think there may be a broken or missing piece associated with the park brake actuator. Does anyone have any idea what part depresses the switch when the brake is disengaged, and is it a part I can buy separately or do I need to buy the whole actuator assembly?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

This might help. the switch is item #9. I can't remember what part of the mechanism actually actuates the switch

Handbrake Lever and Cable - Parts For XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645 | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

The switch might respond well to cleaning as they often become gunked up. You might be able to clean in in situ with the red tube/nozzle of your favorite contact cleaner

Cheers
DD

Old 07-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

If you look carefully at the mechanism, as the handbrake gets set so it is off (ie, handbrake applied, then button pushed in, strain taken off the brakes it this is held in, and button kept pushed in as it is fully lowered) you will see that a bit of th mechanical mechanism will contact the microswitch and push it off. If this is not happening, loosen the microswitch fixing and move it slightly until it does.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-17-2016)
Old 07-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
If you look carefully at the mechanism, as the handbrake gets set so it is off (ie, handbrake applied, then button pushed in, strain taken off the brakes it this is held in, and button kept pushed in as it is fully lowered) you will see that a bit of th mechanical mechanism will contact the microswitch and push it off. If this is not happening, loosen the microswitch fixing and move it slightly until it does.
Greg
Hi Greg,

I tried adjusting the switch upwards, but it made no difference. Upon closer inspection, I saw a tiny piece of black plastic on top of the mechanical switch actuatuor under the park brake handle. I surmised that the switch had broken, and bought a new switch.

After installing the new switch, I still have the same problem. It seems CRAZY to me that the actuator mechanism cannot contact the switch! The switch is new and moves freely when I depress it with a finger, and when I do, the dash light goes off.

I'm confounded - either there is supposed to be a part under the handle that contacts the switch or my handle is bent. It'd take massive amounts of pressure to bend the park brake handle, so that can't be the issue. The switch is new, so that can't be the issue, It has power, etc, so that can't be the issue. As a temporary fix, I just folded up a piece of copy paper and placed it on top of the switch. That way, when I release the brake mechanism, the light goes off. I suppose that would have fixed it from the start, but I wanted it to work properly, not just fool the darn switch.

Any other ideas??

Thanks, Dave

Last edited by davemack; 07-21-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:48 AM

Nothing at all? Well, at least the dash light is off, but I would have thought someone might have an idea what's going on.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Originally Posted by davemack
Nothing at all? Well, at least the dash light is off, but I would have thought someone might have an idea what's going on.
Dave
I have no clear idea of what you did with the piece of paper, perhaps if you explained that more people could help? But in general, if you look carefully you will see that there IS a difference in the mechanism's position between these two states:
1) the lever is DOWN and the brake IS applied
2) the lever is down but the brake is NOT applied

Get the lever to state 1; then get it to State 2 and see what is different. Once you know this, it cannot be too difficult to rig up something in State 2 to push the switch lever to the Off position. A bit of something superglued to the switch lever or the mechanism maybe?
Greg

orangeblossom (07-27-2016)
Old 07-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I seem to recall that if you prise the rubber cap off the end of the handle there is an adjustment under there; it was a while ago but I think I'm right.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,921 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I remember now; the rubber/plastic cover tube at the end of the handle had somehow crept forward enough to almost completely cover the button which meant that it wouldn't work.
Easy fix though.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Dave
I have no clear idea of what you did with the piece of paper, perhaps if you explained that more people could help? But in general, if you look carefully you will see that there IS a difference in the mechanism's position between these two states:
1) the lever is DOWN and the brake IS applied
2) the lever is down but the brake is NOT applied

Get the lever to state 1; then get it to State 2 and see what is different. Once you know this, it cannot be too difficult to rig up something in State 2 to push the switch lever to the Off position. A bit of something superglued to the switch lever or the mechanism maybe?
Greg

Hi Greg,

Sorry I was unclear; I folded a piece of copy paper into a small, 1/4 inch thick rectangle, then placed it between the switch and the park brake mechanism. When the handle is down, brake not applied and folded piece of paper in place, it will contact the switch and keep the dash light from illuminating. But, if I remove the folded piece of paper with the park brake fully disengaged, the park brake mechanism will not contact the switch when the handle is down and the dash light stays on.

I probably should have just folded up a piece of paper before I bought a new switch, but thought a proper fix would be better. Turns out, it was just more expensive and time consuming...

Oh well, the light is off - I just won't use the park brake unless absolutely necessary (i.e. when I raise or lower the roof).

Old 07-28-2016, 01:38 AM
Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

You should bend the actuator lever out to make contact sooner. I do this all the time servicing dental equipment and the use the same switches.

Dopplebocker (12-17-2020)