XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Where's the fuel tank drain plug...'93 xjs convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Where's the fuel tank drain plug...'93 xjs convertible?

I've almost torn it apart and still can't find the fuel drain plug my service disc says is there? Anyone?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Originally Posted by Klarion
I've almost torn it apart and still can't find the fuel drain plug my service disc says is there? Anyone?
There is no drain plug on a 93 XJS Convertible.

The Tank sits behind a Steel Baffle Plate and in order to get the Tank out, first of all you have to remove, everything in the Boot/Trunk.

BEFORE YOU START DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.

Then get underneath the Car, where you will see Two big hoses, side by side going into the fuel tank.

One is for the flow and the other one for the return.

But in order to take those hoses off, you have to start by removing the two wire Clips on the Unions with the point of a Screw Driver.

Then you need a Special Tool to remove the Fuel Hoses but you can make one from a piece of stiff plastic water pipe, cut in half down its length apart from the piece that you hold.

The idea is you have the fuel pipe 'cupped' in this plastic pipe, as you need to push and twist the pipes in order to get them off.

Easier if you can borrow the Special Tool.

After that remove the Filler Cap and the Gator and any other pipes you can see to undo, after which the Tank will then pull out.

Its not bolted in, its Wedged in with pieces of rubber and you need to pull it really hard even to get it to move.

But before you do that, fill up the Boot/Trunk with something like Old Books or Pieces of wood, so when you pull the Tank back, it doesn't suddenly drop when it comes off its shelf.

Then you will have to Bale the Gas/Petrol out by hand with a Plastic Type Jug.

Don't use anything Metal that might cause a Spark or you will be Toast!

This is a PIA Job if ever there was one!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
afterburner1 (06-17-2015), Klarion (06-05-2015), RagJag (08-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 07:44 PM

Thank you for that...I had pretty much just figured that out from other manuals. The special tool for the fuel lines is what bothers me...PIA is right...there's no room under there as is.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 PM

"Then you will have to Bale the Gas/Petrol out by hand with a Plastic Type Jug."

Orangeblossom...can I swoosh it around in the tank and pour it out the filler neck?...without disturbing the fuel pump?

Old 06-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Klarion
"Then you will have to Bale the Gas/Petrol out by hand with a Plastic Type Jug."

Orangeblossom...can I swoosh it around in the tank and pour it out the filler neck?...without disturbing the fuel pump?
Hi

Yes you can do that, I only suggested baling it out if its got so much fuel in, that it's too heavy to lift.

Also I meant to say use a glass jug for the bailing as anything made of plastic could possibly melt (unless the plastic jug is Petrol proof)

On no account use anything made of metal, as just one spark could set your Car on fire!

As you have already found out, there is no room to get your hand in there to undo the Fuel Hoses.

Which is why you need the Special Tool.

The Special Tool resembles a long metal tube, which is cut down length ways, to provide a Channel, that the fuel hose lays in, which is wide enough for the hose but Not wide enough for the Union on the end.

This then enables you to push and twist it, after which the fuel hose just pulls out.

Its very easy to make one out of a very stiff piece of plastic pipe, which is the sort they use for water tank overflows in the loft.

I would also suggest that since you are taking the Tank out, you also replace the Fuel Pump and the Sender as well.

They maybe working OK at the moment, but Fuel Pumps don't last forever on these Cars and taking the Fuel Tank out of the Car, is such a PIA to do
that its not the kind of job, that you would really ever want to do again.

The following users liked this post:
RagJag (08-05-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 11:53 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

"Book Rates" show $607 - $774 for labor charges to replace the fuel pump!!!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (06-09-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Vee
"Book Rates" show $607 - $774 for labor charges to replace the fuel pump!!!
That does not surprise me at all!

If you want to drive an XJS then you either have to fix her yourself or pay the price of a Secondhand Car, for a Garage/Shop, to fix her for you.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Gas is an electrostatic fluid...
NEVER USE GLASS..........
that is why gas stations require you to use approved containers

using Glass is not recommended because you end up making a wonderful capacitor and just asking for it to spark and have a little fun with any fumes....

DO NOT USE GLASS

tin cup

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan-W:
afterburner1 (06-17-2015), Klarion (06-18-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

When the hoses are pulled from under the tank, doesn't the fuel flow out of the tank?

I think I can answer my own question: The fuel pump is connected to the hose out and in flow and therefore blocks the drainage

Last edited by afterburner1; 06-18-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:47 PM

I wish to see if I can get the car to run smoothly before removing the tank...the tank looks so clean and pristine and I want to make sure there is nothing more major going on than 'old fuel' or rusted tank. When I started her last week she started right up and ran smoothly for about 30 seconds. I did 'turn' the engine over without start to get oil flowing. There seemed to be a lot of smoke from exhaust when it started but it seemed to 'burn off'. Perhaps part of the rough running is oil fouled plugs. My plan of attack: 1) disconnect fuel line at engine fuel rail, connect a hose from fuel line to plastic container and use the fuel pump to 'empty' the tank. Perhaps do this a couple of times to clean out the lines. 2) Remove injectors and clean. 3) Replace main fuel filter. 4) Re-connect lines and injectors. 5) Perhaps pull and clean plugs and see if it will run for more than 30 seconds without 'burning' oil. It started right up nice and smooth the first time but got 'clogged' quickly and rumbled to a stop with lots of exhaust smoke. Anyone agree with this approach or have warnings that this is not a good approach?...Please let me know.

Last edited by Klarion; 06-18-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:14 AM

My approach would be to remove the "in" line of the fuel filter and see the condition of the fuel and also check the sustained pressure of the fuel pump prior to entering the fuel filter. I have no idea what the pressure should be, but on my old e-type, God rest its sole, it was 30lb

Let me give you a heads up. Work on the fuel system outside with a CO2 bottle at your side. Don't test anything with jumper wires or jury rigged wires. Gasoline fumes flow like water and will flow over the sides of your plastic bucket. Gasoline and TNT are about the same in explosive power. I speak from experience having burned to the ground one E-type and a two car garage.

Last edited by afterburner1; 06-19-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 PM

How to drain the fuel tank?
A cheap old used electric fuel pump with a hose on the in and a hose on the out

I knew that!
No you didn't.
I just told you!
I knew it before you told me
How could you?
I saw it on All Girl Garage!
Darn women ; they know everything!

Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Default Where's the fuel tank drain plug...'93 xjs convertible?

Parts anyone? Drained the tank, put new fuel and it started, even idled for a while but very rough and now the Catalytic converters are apparently plugged up. That may be the entire problem. Well...I'm finished. Rather put the time and energy into my Merz. If I were to part out my '93 XJS convertible...would there be any takers? lots of good parts...new alternator...wheels...etc.