Go Back   Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum > Jaguar Models ( Modern ) > XK8 / XKR
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

XK8 / XKR 1996 - 2006

Welcome to Jaguar Forums!
Welcome to JaguarForums.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Jaguar Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2011, 07:40 AM

Default Hard Reset - correct procedure

I have performed a 'Hard Reset' several times after cleaning the TB and MAF because of a Restricted Performance Fault. I have read just about all of the posts concerning how to do a 'Hard Reset'. I am a little confused on the correct/recommended procedure.

Some posts have you undoing both terminals and just touching the two battery cables together with no battery involved. Some have you shorting across both both terminals with the leads connected. Some have you disconnecting and touching the disconnected negative lead to the connected positive lead with the ignition switch off. Some others have the same procedure, but with the ignition in posistion 2. And several others methods remaining...

What is the correct and definitive procedure?
'96 Cherokee, 4:10, up 2-1/2", tube bumpers, wheels flared, rides on top of the Rockies...
Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

What fault codes did you get when you had the restrictive performance?
The Following User Says Thank You to avos For This Useful Post:
billm (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 08:32 AM

The Fault Code for the Throttle Body was cleared with a cleaning of the TB and MAF Sensor. That isn't the problem. I just do not know if I did a proper Hard Reset that reset the Engine Computer correctly. The method that I used was to remove the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the postive cable which was still connected to the battery (with the Ignition switch completly off), for a couple of seconds and then reconnected the negative cable. I am just trying to find out the proper and correct method for a Hard Reset.

We won't get into about reading it in the JTIS, that's another tale. I have a Vista Operating System on my PC and have yet been able to load the CD's and or load the downloads to be able to use the JTIS.
'96 Cherokee, 4:10, up 2-1/2", tube bumpers, wheels flared, rides on top of the Rockies...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
The Fault Code for the Throttle Body was cleared with a cleaning of the TB and MAF Sensor. That isn't the problem. I just do not know if I did a proper Hard Reset that reset the Engine Computer correctly. The method that I used was to remove the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the postive cable which was still connected to the battery (with the Ignition switch completly off), for a couple of seconds and then reconnected the negative cable. I am just trying to find out the proper and correct method for a Hard Reset.

Bill-
What you did was correct, except you need to have the ignition fully on for the reset to effect the ECM module. (Disconnect and reconnect the battery with the ignition off, however.)

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-06-2011 at 10:21 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteXKR For This Useful Post:
billm (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member

I read that you got the errors back after you had disconnected the battery, as then you need to focus on the issue, not reseting the ECU. Having the battery disconnected for some minutes should reset the ECU's adaptations, dont ask me how many minutes though, but would guess 30 minutes would be enough.
billm (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Photobucket

Thanked 2,421 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm View Post
Some have you shorting across both both terminals with the leads connected.

I wouldn't reccomend that one!

Avos is right, you need to pinpoint the fault and get it fixed.

The Following User Says Thank You to Norri For This Useful Post:
billm (11-06-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 PM

I think that with White XKR's response, I now have the definitive answer as to the correct 'Hard Reset' method.

As far as the Resticted Performance, the Code for the TB always popped up. After cleaning both the TB and MAF Sensor and doing my 'sudio' Hard Reset (the ignition was not on) the Codes always cleared and Restricted Performance cleared out. I've had to do this twice in 8 months.

I've noticed a slight fluttering of the TB lately, when driving at moderate speed, slowing down and just about at what a normal up-shift point would be. Maybe now cleaning the TB and MAF again and a doing a proper Hard Reset (with the Ignition turned on this time) will get the ECU and air flow in sync with everything. Then the Idle will also be synched to the ECU and the shift points. Boy I'm in Heaven now, just thinking about it.

Gosh I love this car (and to all of those informative and caring individuals of this Forum, who make this Forum what it is, the best on the Web..my thanks and gratitude...)
Old 11-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member

The ECU will adjust itself automatically during driving although that may take several drive cycles. So sometimes it is quicker to reset the ECU after a major change (i.e. going from a very dirty to a new clean one for instance).

Sorry to be a pain, but what was the actual code you got?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 AM

To avos -

No problem and not a pain. It kept throwing a P1229 Code. As I said, that cleared with the TB and MAF cleaning and my 'sudo' Hard Reset.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member

The P1229 code is related to the electrical circuit for the stepper motor, and that has nothing to do with the MAF or butterfly position. Chances are that it will come back I'm afraid, maybe it is just a loosely cable connection, otherwise there could be an issue with the stepper motor.
billm (11-07-2011)
Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to Fitz
Default Radio codes

If I do a hard reset on my 2004 XJR, will I have to enter some sort of code for my radio? If so, is there a way to display the code before doing the reset?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:21 PM

I've just had a problem with the auto gearbox on my 1998 XK8 not changing up from 2nd or 3rd and have been advised to do a hard re-set. Having read posts by BillM, AVOS and White XKR, I'm confused about the hard reset method.
My mechanic said to disconnect both battery leads and hold them in contact for about 30 seconds with ignition off, then reconnect the leads after waiting 1/2 to one hour.
BillM has been told what he did was the correct method, that is to disconnect the negative lead only and touch it on the positive lead which is still on the battery. Would this not result in a big short with lots of sparks ?
Ian
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,384 Posts

Both methods do the same thing. If one lead is off of a battery terminal there will be no way to short out the battery and create sparks. If it makes you feel safer, take both off, but it is really the same thing.

To reset all the modules, turn the ignition on after you disconnect the battery and then touch the wires. There should be no need to wait another 1/2 hour.

2001 XKR White Onyx conv., Mina Exhaust, Nameless Cats, 2.6"/+3 PSI Supercharger Pulley, Video Gauge Display + Garmin GVN53 nav. w/XM radio/traffic on orig. Nav Screen,Key Fob Remote Control Convertible Top, RealGauge

2003 S-type 4.2 Quartz

2007 XK Conv. w/ Remote Top, One Touch Top, Rear Window control - AVAILABLE NOW!

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteXKR For This Useful Post:
JSC (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Tags
2007, battery, code, codes, computer, disconnect, ecu, error, hard, jaguar, navigation, reset, rest, xk8, xkr