Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type base or F type S?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 06:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F type base or F type S?

Hi guys,
New to the forum here. I am looking at this used F-type coupe. Pre-Owned 2016 Jaguar F-TYPE Base 2D Coupe in Albany #4P763 | Maserati of Albany It is listed as an F-type base but there is an S badge on the back. Is this just a base that someone slapped an S badge on or is it really an S? Is there another way to tell besides the S badge? Thanks for your help.

Old 04-21-2019, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

It's a base that someone has stuck an S badge on the rear of.
Two easy ways to tell - no front S badge or badge holder, and it has the base 355 mm front brakes that no real S ever came with.

The following users liked this post:
FType4Me (04-08-2020)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

The VIN decoder (at the top of the forum, under tools) lists it as a base. My ‘14 S also has ‘S’ emblems on the front grill, and inside above the touch screen.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Thank you! That's definitely helpful. I do like the brown leather and the wheels, they seem a bit different from the regular F type base wheels. I guess if I were to get it, I would ask about having that poser "S" removed haha

Old 04-21-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IPMdoc
Thank you! That's definitely helpful. I do like the brown leather and the wheels, they seem a bit different from the regular F type base wheels. I guess if I were to get it, I would ask about having that poser "S" removed haha
The badge is easily removed, just warm it up a bit with a hair dryer to soften the glue then saw through the glue with a piece of fishing line or dental floss, and clean up the glue residue with your remover of choice and finally polish the area.
One more "tell" that I forgot is the front shock tops in the engine bay - every S came with adaptive suspension which has an electrical plug and wiring on top of each shock, the one in the ad doesn't have those plugs/wiring.

Old 04-21-2019, 10:34 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Or find an F type with a V-8 engine, then you don't have to worry about what badge is on it!

scm (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
The VIN decoder (at the top of the forum, under tools) lists it as a base. My ‘14 S also has ‘S’ emblems on the front grill, and inside above the touch screen.
Did they only do the 'S' badge on the interior trim near the center vents on the 2013/2014 models? My '15 doesn't have that, but does have everything else.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Yes, though it may have been an option to not have it. My MY17 brochure shows it; don’t have a MY15 or 16 brochure.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
Did they only do the 'S' badge on the interior trim near the center vents on the 2013/2014 models? My '15 doesn't have that, but does have everything else.
My fully optioned (absolutely fully optioned) V6S also does not have the S script on the vent panel (and I am very happy about that!). The vent unit is original, and this car has the interior "black pack" option, so that, perhaps might be the clue?

FType4Me (04-08-2020)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
My fully optioned (absolutely fully optioned) V6S also does not have the S script on the vent panel (and I am very happy about that!). The vent unit is original, and this car has the interior "black pack" option, so that, perhaps might be the clue?
My MY'16 has the S on the panel just above the display. The 2015 Brochure shows the S on examples of the V8S, but no pics of the V6S interiors, so that's inconclusive.

Old 04-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

My S also has this script, but if I recall vent "S delete" was an option in MY16. So it is possible someone ordered such as an option.

Interestingly, there are also some options that could be ordered only is some markets. One is all-metal pedals that I have seen in a parts bin on a factory tour. Another one is no memory seats F-type (i.e. F-type base in US is premium trim in UK).

Last edited by SinF; 04-22-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

It's the black pack. Deletes the lettering on the center stack trim on both S and R models.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
It's the black pack. Deletes the lettering on the center stack trim on both S and R models.
I beg to differ!
My S has the black pack and the S on the centre dash/console.
Edit - whoops, should have read closer, I assume you were taking about an interior black pack, I have the exterior black pack only and the "standard" interior.

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-22-2019 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
thanks for confirming this -it makes perfect sense that its omission is related to the interior black pack option and as I wrote earlier, I am very glad not to have that S lettering on the vent panel. It is the only bit of interior trim on an F-Type that looks (to my eye) substandard -and unnecessary.

Last edited by sov211; 04-23-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

thanks for confirming this -it makes perfect sense that its omission is related to the interior black pack option and as I wrote earlier, I am very glad not to have that S lettering on the vent panel. It is the only bit of interior trim on an F-Type that looks (to my eye) substandard -and unnecessary.
+1. I stuck my iPhone mount right on top of the S.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 AM

Thank you very much for your responses. So I shared with the dealer my reservations that it was actually an S (when I first checked out the car about a week ago, I asked the salesperson if it was actually an S and his response was, oh turns out you're right, it is!). At first, they tried to tell me that it was actually an S but the previous owner had just gotten a different options package to not have all the badges. I insisted that they check the original invoice, and they finally called back to say, well yes it is the base with the 340 hp but it does have a lot of extra features like the 19 in wheels, back up camera, heated seats, dynamic exhaust...
Thanks to your tips, I was able to stand my ground and not be convinced that it was really an S. Despite those nice features I couldn't go with it, it was just too much how they were a bit misleading. Plus, wasn't even CPO despite those low miles.

So I'm deciding to go with this one https://www.jaguarnorthhaven.com/inv...wa6at9g8k32841 . Maybe a bit more boring with just the 18 inch wheels and basic options package but I do like the extremely low mileage. It'll be my first time owning a Jaguar and I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Old 04-24-2019, 01:25 PM
Received 177 Likes on 97 Posts

Thank you very much for your responses. So I shared with the dealer my reservations that it was actually an S (when I first checked out the car about a week ago, I asked the salesperson if it was actually an S and his response was, oh turns out you're right, it is!). At first, they tried to tell me that it was actually an S but the previous owner had just gotten a different options package to not have all the badges. I insisted that they check the original invoice, and they finally called back to say, well yes it is the base with the 340 hp but it does have a lot of extra features like the 19 in wheels, back up camera, heated seats, dynamic exhaust...
Thanks to your tips, I was able to stand my ground and not be convinced that it was really an S. Despite those nice features I couldn't go with it, it was just too much how they were a bit misleading. Plus, wasn't even CPO despite those low miles.

So I'm deciding to go with this one https://www.jaguarnorthhaven.com/inv...wa6at9g8k32841 . Maybe a bit more boring with just the 18 inch wheels and basic options package but I do like the extremely low mileage. It'll be my first time owning a Jaguar and I'm definitely looking forward to it!
That one really has ZERO options selected as far as I can tell - make sure you're really comfortable about the lack of rear visibility and not having the Vision Pack.

FType4Me (04-08-2020)
Old 04-25-2019, 12:59 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

IPM Doc - just sent you a PM

Old 04-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

To each his own, but I second Lani, a bare bones F-Type is truly something out of the automotive past. The lack of amenities can be very annoying. I would go with the options if it were up to me.

FType4Me (04-08-2020)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:55 AM

So I finally bit the bullet and got it! I just couldn’t wait any longer. Yes it’s bare bones, but it’s actually a big step up for me, I’ve never had any car with an infotainment system so just the remote start with climate control is something else already! Maybe just having the basics will mean being a bit faster from the weight savings?

So far, it’s simply just a blast to drive! The engine is just so melodic and and it’s surprisingly comfortable. The low to the ground seating just cucoons you in so well.

It’s just such such a unique car where I live, where there’s the usual German marques like Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, as well as a ton of SUV’s but nothing like this.

I do note that paint chips seem to come rather easily if roads are less than stellar. I’m thinking I might need to get a clearbra eventually, I saw several threads here talking about that.

Thank you guys for all your help!​​​​​​​